Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
marc hildebrant

Default Restore or Buy Restored ?

Group,

I have been going back and forth over the next steps for my car.

It's in "good" condition, but it could be much better. I.E. the interior is worn, but useable. The engine is good, but could be better. The brakes are good, but...well you know.

So, if I have the car really fixed up, back to the way it was sold, I could spend some serious money. However, I could also buy a car that was restored for less than what I would spend for my car.

I have looked on many classified listing, and a frame off, totally fixed car can be had in the $30 K range...less than what I could spend on my car.

So...what to do ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
700rpm

Default Re: Restore or Buy Restored ?

I'd say restore what you have. It's the devil you know.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Russ/40

Which action would bring you the most joy? Do that. Making a fiscal decision can bring regret later.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #4
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Which action would bring you the most joy? Do that. Making a fiscal decision can bring regret later.
Exactly! And if you buy restored, definitely verify the quality of the restoration, or you could end up, in pretty much the same situation, only with less money in your wallet.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #5
Patrick L.

Thats a hard decision to make.
What do you want to do ?
How do you know if a different car is really 'restored'?
Do you like that type of work enough to finish the job if started ?
Do you like the car and body type you have or would you like a change ?
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #6
mike657894

I would put it this way. If you are paying for the labor buy a restored car. If like me you want to brag that you did this all your self you have to do it yourself. I have my grandpas car so I feel I have the only car I can have. And any other car wouldn't be the car i sat in as a child.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
JohnLaVoy

You are right about being able to buy one for less than you would spend. You need to decide what you want with the car. Is this a "show" car and not driven a lot then buying one would probably work best. If you plan on touring, then you need to look at how the car is equipped, overdrive, rebuilt engine with high compression head etc. So building it for what you want from it is probably the way to go unless you find one that you know how it was done and are willing to spend the money.
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #8
Clem Clement

Cars are people. You know the ole girl and her faults When she belches you know why.

Buying shine is only skin deep(The old adage "You can't polish a turd is not correct: You can roll it in glitter")

If you have to have a better looker, buy one but keep your old A. It is illegal to have only one Model A anyway.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
glenn in camino

I'm sure the car I'm restoring right now will never be worth near my money investment. However, the enjoyment of working on it cannot be measured in dollars 7 cents.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
Bill G

My car has a long, long way to go. Just look at my avatar, and that is a pretty good indication of its current looks. I have brakes that need attention, and I jut replaced the clutch and engine. Brakes are the next obvious issue, because our priorities are to get the car mechanically sound and safe.

I think by the time I am done, I will have more into it than one I could buy that had been gone through already.

My wife and I have had many conversations about this. We are in it for the fun and hobby of working on the car. I am a fair back-yard mechanic, and I have much to learn, but I am having fun and a few frustrations. I can say I am learning a lot and having a great time.

Several people in the club have advised against adding up all the receipts for everything I have put into the car, and I can see why. It will likely shock me. I did not buy the car to flip it or show it. If I sell the car down the road for less than I have into it, so be it. That's kind of the price of the fun.

If, on the other hand, I bought a car that was already "restored", as indicated above, not only would I not really know how well the job was done, but gee whiz, it would only see the light of day when parading or in a show.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #11
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Marc,

For your question:

"So...what to do ?"

Humble Opinion: Caution, Caution !!!!

1. Most of the evaluation of this buying Model A's restored or buying Model A's un-restored, appears to be most dependent on "who" performed the frame off restoration.

2. For example, just go over the past 20 years of Model A Forum messages, read and analyse the thousands of questions asked, and you will get a good idea of the level of mechanical expertise of "who" is restoring these Model A's.

3. Next read the thousands of Model A comments like:

I have a fully rebuilt engine, and after driving 200 miles, I hear knocks, and/or the engine overheats because the pistons get frozen in the cylinders ....... What should I look for?

4. How about some "Scrooge" who rebuilt his Model A with "cheap" Ebay reject parts that came from some guy's parts collection from the mid 1950's when poor quality parts were sold.

5. Not much has changed in life ..... old horse traders years ago sold and got rid of blind horses and horses dying with cancer ..... they knew many honest people thought everybody on earth was honest.

6. Never a bad idea to investigate "who" is selling these restored cars, and "who" restored it, etc.,etc., because an off frame restoration Model A could be far worse than a well worn un-restored Model A Barn Find.

7. Not to mention any names; however, believe it or not, lots of Model A parts suppliers, professional engine re-builders, and Model A Club members know "who" performed a certain Model A restoration.

Hope this helps anyone to evaluate and decide which way to go.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
WHN

There are some really good cars that get sold because of changes in the owners life. Quiet a few are really good 20 footers that have been well cared for by loving owners for many years. If you can find one of these, now you will have to make a decision.

My personal opinion also is that there are a lot of unsafe, not well maintained, and over priced cars out there.

The devil known as they say. Enjoy you car.

Last edited by WHN; 09-03-2017 at 03:44 PM.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #13
redmodelt

If you have the pockets, one to drive one to restore. There are a lot of cars that the restoration was started 20/30 or more years ago and things got in the way. I find the fun of having these old cars is in the No.1 the driving and No. 2 the fixing. That does not mean for me car shows but club tours and just driving. (ok so I don't have an A I have a T but it amounts to the same thing) I know to each their own but I could never get my head around spending years to restore and never really drive it?
Old 09-03-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
Anteek29

John LaVoy said it best!
In my case, being my first A purchase, I did not want a project car but wanted a daily-driver quality one that I could enjoy driving right away - without worrying about getting a little scratch or ding on a show car.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:16 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

HL said what I was going to! And others too, "It's better the devil you know"! Very apt! I now have three Mod As, one my Town Sedan has been painted, My red wheeled coupe is getting painted, and my green wheeled coupe was painted. Trouble is, the "Restorer" didn't bother with primer! (Cut cost/ save time? who knows?) I didn't realize this until after I got it home. It looks pretty good so I have no plans to paint it. But there was a great gnashing of my teeth when I found this out. It's not like I got it at a bargain. When you do the work, you tend to do it correctly and the car is that much better for it. So I'm in the save it and fix it group.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #16
H. L. Chauvin

After reading Model A Forum comments and questions for 20 years, it would never be shocking if a Model A restorer's comment would be:

A. I just totally rebuilt my Model A engine, transmission, and rear end, and rewired everything.

B. I am just about to install a battery for the first time and start it.

C. I did it all by myself and never looked under "Search" for anything.

D. By the way, which way does one screw in Model A spark plugs? Clock-Wise or Counter-Clock-Wise.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:59 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

MANY/MOST are used car "re-cons" being sold by "professional" used car dealers, for a QUICK BUCKS!!
Bill Leery
Old 09-03-2017, 02:00 PM   #18
BillCNC

marc,

For what I wanted, it always came out to 20k no matter if I did it myself or bought it finished. So I opted to buy one that was 90-95% already restored. It gives me something I can still tinker on but for the most part, just drive it. I saved money buy not having to do a restore, but I got it on the cheap because it wasn't fully finished. For me that ws the only way I could come in well under 20k while getting what I wanted. That might also be an option for you.

Regards
Bill.
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #19
H. L. Chauvin

But .... also ........ in not to trying to appear extremely pessimistic, there are also many Model A buying stories with great happy endings for guys buying Model A's for the first time.

Often recommended herein is if buying a Model A for the first time, please contact a local Model A Club in the area to try to get their recommended Model A guy who can give an opinion on what is being bought and what one may expect prior to the purchase.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
TerryH

I am probably somewhat unique in what I wanted and what I bought. I had my first Model A in 1964, and I put 30,000 miles on it in about 3 years as my daily driver. It was a decent, unrestored car, and was a standard 1930 Coupe. About 10 years ago, a couple of friends bought Model A's, so I got the hankering for another one. But I was over 60, with no spare garage space, limited tools & knowledge, and for me, I really wanted to enjoy having and driving the car......not spending years restoring it, as some friends had. I also wanted something nicer than my standard Coupe from years ago, so I decided I would buy a restored Model A; not to show or trailer around, but to drive frequently.
The car I finally found, on Hemings website, was in upstate New York, and the gentleman offering it for sale had spent 10 years on a total frame-off restoration. He was a retired master machinist and did all the work himself, except for the engine and paint work.
The result was a very, very nicely restored Model A, nice enough that many in our club suggested I correct a few minor things and show it. But I wanted a driver, and even thought about touring.....so I did add a Mitchell OD, HC head, and a very few other safety mods. The car still looks beautiful, I drive it all over Southern California, including on our freeways, I go to Costco and park in the lot there. In 10 plus years of driving, it looks just as good as the day I bought it, and I have had practically zero problems with it.....save a broken timing gear last year. I paid $18,000 for this 1930 Town Sedan, and he sent me all of his receipts.....which added up to more than I paid for, and did not include his 10 years of labor. For me, I really enjoy my car and driving it. I realize that I have missed out on the experience of restoring it myself, but, on the other hand, I have had over 10 years of trouble free enjoyment. And I understand that not all cars are restored to this level....I was very lucky!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:22 PM   #21
ronn

I agree with Billcnc-no question I would sell your car and buy a better car.

life is too short to putter around, and you will have to putter with whatever you buy anyway.
Even if just keeping it polished.

Besides, there are so many diff body styles to fall in love with..........
dont you wish you had kissed all of the girls in HS?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #22
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Marc,

Also, in my humble opinion, Mr. Tom W. gave several excellent and wise Model A restoration opinions years ago:

1. For first time buyers wanting to restore a Model A, try to buy Model A that is at least in good enough shape to drive it.

2. Restoration? He very wisely recommended to do a little at a time ..... but try to keep it running and keep driving it ....... rather than tear all apart, let it sit for 5 - 10 years and become totally disinterested as often is the case.

3. As far as how to stay interested throughout the restoration years .... Mr. Tom W. recommended to stay focused and to do a little Model A work each day, no matter how little.

Try it ..... it works !!!
Old 09-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #23
Fred K-OR

Marc, you have received a lot of good advise above. But it comes down to what you want to do. I have gone both ways-rebuilt the huckster (could have bought a brand new Ford pickup for what I put into that rig) and bought the coupe already rebuilt. Had to do a couple grand worth of work on the coupe to get it to run the way it should. So go for it any way you want!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #24
CarlG

The term "Restored" means all the way from a spit & polish job to a frame off total redo. It's buyer beware in most cases.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #25
Kevin in NJ

It is a simple thing to decide if you go by money.

To properly restore a car back to factory specs in the driveline and to paint and put an interior in and you do most all the work you will have about $25,000 into the car (note you do all the work means you have special tools to do the job right). I know this cause that is what I am looking at to do my cabriolet.

If you are patient and look around you will find very very good deals on well restored cars. Often you will expect to need to do engine and brake work. I know of 2 different people had bought 'professionally' restored cars and spent another $8000 to make the car reliable and able to stop (this was 20+ years ago).

The value is always in a restored car. Restoring a car is generally a losing (money wise) deal. The exceptions are on the low production cars that are desirable.

The other value is a nice unrestored car. These cars have the advantage that you do not car how people look at them. Food, dirt, scratches who cares. You generally just need to go over the mechanicals.

Now when looking at restored cars you need can add value when you find out areas were done by known sources. Like the engine was built by J&M machine, brake by Snyder... etc. You can quantify and add in the value of a known quantity.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #26
mhsprecher

I have been lucky. I bought two restored Model As and have been generally happy and have gotten good service out of them. My first was a 1930 Town Sedan, older restoration that I paid 11K for. It is reliable as the day is long. I had to replace the exhaust manifold and I added an alternator, but that is about it, other than regular maintenance. The clutch chatters and the transmission loses oil, but other than that it is great. It has scratches and dings and some cracked paint and worn upholstery, but that doesn't bother me much.

My 28 roadster has been more of a challenge, but I am still amazed at the quality of the older restoration. The brakes aren't great - steel drums and maybe some other issues, but I knew that when I bought it. It runs a little warmer than I like, but I have driven it a lot and it's a blast. I paid 14k for it a couple of years ago.

I thought about buying a car to restore, but I figured that I would never get it done, so I bought something I could drive home. One of the Model A videos I watched recently said it best. If you want to restore one, do it, but buy one to drive, too. Of course, that means two Model As, but what is wrong with that?
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #27
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I'm sure the car I'm restoring right now will never be worth near my money investment. However, the enjoyment of working on it cannot be measured in dollars 7 cents.
Man, dat's de troof. I'm about $3000 under water for what I "think" I could get for my coupe (which includes the belt molding I got from you, Glenn). But The coupe is my favorite car to drive, so I put a lot into her, and I am rewarded accordingly in the pleasure of driving her.

The Model A for me started out as my daily transportation in high school. Over the years it has become a hobby. And who ever makes money from their hobby? When that happens, it becomes a business. I have friends who claim golf is their hobby. Not a one of them is in it to make a profit or break even.

Sorry, I've strayed off the OP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1086.jpg (34.2 KB, 33 views)

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 09-03-2017 at 06:32 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #28
Railcarmover
BANNED

Build it its your car,buy it, its someones else's car you bought..me? I can fix and flip cars and buy and sell cars..but I build my own car..its like that rifle they hand you in the service,'there are many like it,but this one is mine'
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #29
jim1932

I always figured there are to types of enjoyment in old cars. Fixing them and driving them. I made the mistake of thinking my dad would like to have one to work on. he said he didn't have the patience to do it right, he just wanted to slap a fix on it and drive it.

I like to tinker with them more than I like to drive them.

Buy the one that is suited to how you enjoy cars. Don't worry about anyone who say's if you didn't fix it yourself, it don't mean anything. At the end of the day it is a pile of steel and rubber. buy what you enjoy. Don't try to force yourself into an area you won't enjoy.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #30
TerryO

I bought a project 30 Coupe nearly 25 years ago and have worked on it when I could for several years but I bought a 31 Tudor about 6 or 7 years ago so I could enjoy driving a Model A while I completed the Coupe. Meanwhile I recently bought a 31 Sport Coupe to enjoy while I complete the Coupe but the 31 came with another 30 Coupe project, so now I will have to work twice as hard to get the Coupes completed. The moral of this story is I have the best of both worlds, 2 to enjoy driving and 2 to enjoy working on when I have time and feel like it. If I don't live long enough to finish the Coupes then my son will have to finish them

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #31
Roger Green

Model A'ing takes all kinds:
People who like to restore!
People who like to shine & show!
People who like to drive!
Figure out where you fit in & have fun!
Random ROG
PS: I'm a driver.
Roger Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:26 PM   #32
CWPASADENA

There are "Restored Cars" and then there are "Restored Cars".

If you really know what you are looking at, there are some very good cars for sale at a very fair price.

There are also cars that look good but have major defects that can not be easily seen.

If your car is sound, body with very little or no rust and the undercarriage is straight and not all badly rusted and you can do some of the work, I would be inclined to fix what you have.

When finished, you will know what you have and will feel good that you were involved in the finished product.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 11:47 PM   #33
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc hildebrant View Post
Group,

I have been going back and forth over the next steps for my car.

It's in "good" condition, but it could be much better. I.E. the interior is worn, but useable. The engine is good, but could be better. The brakes are good, but...well you know.

So, if I have the car really fixed up, back to the way it was sold, I could spend some serious money. However, I could also buy a car that was restored for less than what I would spend for my car.

I have looked on many classified listing, and a frame off, totally fixed car can be had in the $30 K range...less than what I could spend on my car.

So...what to do ?

Marc
Time = money

Less time you use in the restoration you pay someone else for their time.

The golden rule with Model A's is that you will not get the money you spend restoring the car yourself back at the selling of the car.

So where does that leave you?

Do you like working on cars?
Do you have the space?
Are you in a rush?

Please don't take this the wrong way but since you brought up the question I think you would be better off buying a restored A and just do the basic maintenance to keep it on the road.

If you do decide to get one that needs work we are here to help!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:21 AM   #34
BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think you would be better off buying a car Marc. Most quality restoration shops that I know of have a waiting list of about a year before they can begin on yours. Then factor in the resto time on yours, and you can see where I am coming from.

Now as far as the money goes, I generally ask someone on the fence about this dilemma if they typically buy new vehicles or used vehicles when they trade. A professionally restored Model-A is typically like a new vehicle where everything is within spec and everything functions correctly. Generally speaking, a used vehicle is a compromise. Folks know this, and as such they know what they are willing to accept personally.

As mentioned above, most Model-As that I have seen that were purchased as 'restored' are really just a vehicle that was "repaired & repainted". It is rare that a top quality one ever hits the market. From my experiences, the good restored ones that Start, Stop, & Steer reliably get passed down thru the family because they get used and aren't just collecting dust in the garage or basement. The others that are truly a top quality restoration generally have several people waiting in line to buy them so we rarely see those hit the market.

It is a tough decision to make, and I wish you well in whichever direction you go.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #35
al's28/33

Make it SAFE to drive on the road in busy traffic.
Make it SAFE for anyone to ride in your car.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #36
Bob Bidonde

A totally restored car (not fine point show) will cost significantly more than $30,000 even if you do a lot of the work yourself. Recent experience indicates about $60,000 including doing a lot of the work yourself for a touring class car.

I would keep what you have and get it mechanically safe and good running. Then do the cosmetic stuff that makes you happy. I am guessing you can get it all done in the neighborhood of $22,000:

Engine Rebuild $3700
Mechanical overhaul $5000
Upholstery kit $3000
Body work & paint $10,000

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 09-04-2017 at 08:41 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #37
ronn

Bob,
for 22k there are some pretty nice A's to be bought out there. No work involved.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:32 AM   #38
BILL WILLIAMSON

If a rear end works, MANY "sellers" jist PAINT it & hang a tag on it, "REBUILT"---It's HARDER to see the TAG, on the TRANSMISSION--LOL---The HORN is easier to see!
Bill Careful
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #39
Gary Karr

I have done both, completely restored car(s) for fine point as well as purchasing an older restoration Model A. You can be dollars ahead if you purchase a restored Model A. If I was in the market for another Model A, I would consider two currently on the MAFCA website for sale. There is a 1930 Tudor with 46,000 miles and a known history from new, rebuilt engine, older repaint. By the picture, it is a solid, straightforward car at $12,900. The other is the original '29 Fordor for $15,500.
Unless you are looking for the hobby of doing your own restoration, and have the knowledge, tools, space, time, and money to sink into it, go for an older restoration, especially one from the 70's. That's what I did with my '29 OCPU. I knew the person that restored it in 1969 and remembered the truck. It took me about 30 seconds to make the decision to buy it and I haven't regretted it a bit.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #40
marc hildebrant

Gang,

Thanks for all the good comments.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #41
Fred K-OR

Still going for it! If you do, it is fun??? So do go for it.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 09-04-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #42
George Miller

It all depends on what you want and how handy you are and if you are willing to do all the work it takes to get it done.
For me I have seen to many so called restored cars that were not that well done. I have to do my own. It takes me about a 1000 hours to do one. It is not going to be cheap any way you do it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #43
CarlG

When I bought mine, I looked for a vehicle that had a "near perfect" body. I wasn't all that concerned with the mechanicals. I can handle that part. That proved out fairly well for me in that I have done a ton of mechanical things, but the body is still in great shape without having to do anything to it. Which is a good thing, since I just don't do well with body work.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #44
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I have done both, completely restored car(s) for fine point as well as purchasing an older restoration Model A. You can be dollars ahead if you purchase a restored Model A. If I was in the market for another Model A, I would consider two currently on the MAFCA website for sale. There is a 1930 Tudor with 46,000 miles and a known history from new, rebuilt engine, older repaint. By the picture, it is a solid, straightforward car at $12,900. The other is the original '29 Fordor for $15,500.
Unless you are looking for the hobby of doing your own restoration, and have the knowledge, tools, space, time, and money to sink into it, go for an older restoration, especially one from the 70's. That's what I did with my '29 OCPU. I knew the person that restored it in 1969 and remembered the truck. It took me about 30 seconds to make the decision to buy it and I haven't regretted it a bit.

Marc,

As many of the guys have said you have to figure out what you want and if you want to do the work yourself, hire out, and/or buy one. Few cars need nothing ( I would say almost none).... I think Gary made some good suggestions. I might also add that there is a nice looking '30 Cabriolet at the end of the MAFCA for sale that is nice... Door panel fit looks good which is a good sign although the front end looks low so it may need a front spring or more. it is more money at 25K but then it is a Cabriolet. You can't begin to restore one for that and they always command a few more dollars. The benefit of a Cabriolet you get the advantage of having the top go down but the windows "roll up" as opposed to a roadster.

The touring car of choice these days seems to be the slant window 4-door/town sedan 160A or 160B (town sedan).

As I do work for folks unfortunately many and most all need the same type of work done. Poorly rebuilt mechanicals ( front ends/steering/rear axles/trans etc). Yes, it can get expensive but the good news is it is fixable.
The worst Model A I ever drove was a "restored" car. It took some work but it got done and was a silk smooth car afterwards.

Evaluate your liking, budget, and expectations and you can survey what's out there and make a good decision. Gary/ Brent/HL/Mike/Kevin, and others have all given you great advice. I just wanted to throw out some more info.
Also, inspect and drive each one.. put it through it's paces. You will learn a lot. But then too I don't get too excited or worried if it needs some work.. as that's what I do. I just take that into account.

Let us know what you do.
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 09-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
When I bought mine, I looked for a vehicle that had a "near perfect" body. I wasn't all that concerned with the mechanicals. I can handle that part. That proved out fairly well for me in that I have done a ton of mechanical things, but the body is still in great shape without having to do anything to it. Which is a good thing, since I just don't do well with body work.
X2, I want a fairly good body, but can do the mechanicals. Those 2 cars Gary Carr mentioned sound good, but you'd have to hire me to fly to California and drive them back to you.

On second though, I'd rather take the train. Flying sucks these days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #46
Bob Bidonde

I agree, there are some nice Model A's for less than $20,000 on the market. However, my experience has been it is a rare event when a newly purchased good looking Model A does not need mechanical work, and some cosmetics.

I prefer to see a car rejuvenated than buying one that already is. It saves another precious antique / vintage car.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #47
IndianapolisRacer

I have been in cars for about 50 years and have bought cars at the big auctions and restored frame up as well purchased from individuals . This I can say every car I bought off the auction block required work often serious work and 1 was a forgery completely misrepresented . Buying from individuals was better but they too required work , restoration provides the best product in my opinion !
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #48
woodlot1

Just so you know I like working on Model A,s its a lot of fun....I have owned A's for years. Not having one that's drivable stinks. last year I bought a 30 tudor that is partially restored, no interior, and leaks like a sieve. It is so much fun to drive it and not have to worry about someone hitting it or the kids spilling a drink. recently i bought a barn find that is complete and is suitable for a fine point restoration if i want to go that far. I have been working on the driver, adjusting the shims in the engine , adjusting the brakes, and just fixing the little things. I get the biggest kick out of driving down the streets in town and honking the darn horn at people. is it a show car? heck no its just fun. Next summer I'l start on the 4-door and try to bring the old girl back to like new condition. In my opinion its the best of both worlds one to drive, one to restore.
woodlot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #49
slammin

I think your circumstances will dictate what you buy. If you are young (at least younger than I), have a well equipped garage, mechanically inclined, and have the time to spare, a car that needs a lot of work is for you. If you are flush with money, have a reputable restorer do your work. If neither is the case, purchasing a car that has already had quality restoration done, will be a lot cheaper than it would be to duplicate the work. As a new member here shopping for his first Model A, I know there is no way I would ever finish a car that needs everything, and I can't afford to have the work professionally done.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote