Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #41
Fred K-OR

Default Re: Restore or Buy Restored ?

Still going for it! If you do, it is fun??? So do go for it.

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 09-04-2017 at 01:10 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:01 PM   #42
George Miller

It all depends on what you want and how handy you are and if you are willing to do all the work it takes to get it done.
For me I have seen to many so called restored cars that were not that well done. I have to do my own. It takes me about a 1000 hours to do one. It is not going to be cheap any way you do it.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:29 PM   #43
CarlG

When I bought mine, I looked for a vehicle that had a "near perfect" body. I wasn't all that concerned with the mechanicals. I can handle that part. That proved out fairly well for me in that I have done a ton of mechanical things, but the body is still in great shape without having to do anything to it. Which is a good thing, since I just don't do well with body work.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:29 PM   #44
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I have done both, completely restored car(s) for fine point as well as purchasing an older restoration Model A. You can be dollars ahead if you purchase a restored Model A. If I was in the market for another Model A, I would consider two currently on the MAFCA website for sale. There is a 1930 Tudor with 46,000 miles and a known history from new, rebuilt engine, older repaint. By the picture, it is a solid, straightforward car at $12,900. The other is the original '29 Fordor for $15,500.
Unless you are looking for the hobby of doing your own restoration, and have the knowledge, tools, space, time, and money to sink into it, go for an older restoration, especially one from the 70's. That's what I did with my '29 OCPU. I knew the person that restored it in 1969 and remembered the truck. It took me about 30 seconds to make the decision to buy it and I haven't regretted it a bit.

Marc,

As many of the guys have said you have to figure out what you want and if you want to do the work yourself, hire out, and/or buy one. Few cars need nothing ( I would say almost none).... I think Gary made some good suggestions. I might also add that there is a nice looking '30 Cabriolet at the end of the MAFCA for sale that is nice... Door panel fit looks good which is a good sign although the front end looks low so it may need a front spring or more. it is more money at 25K but then it is a Cabriolet. You can't begin to restore one for that and they always command a few more dollars. The benefit of a Cabriolet you get the advantage of having the top go down but the windows "roll up" as opposed to a roadster.

The touring car of choice these days seems to be the slant window 4-door/town sedan 160A or 160B (town sedan).

As I do work for folks unfortunately many and most all need the same type of work done. Poorly rebuilt mechanicals ( front ends/steering/rear axles/trans etc). Yes, it can get expensive but the good news is it is fixable.
The worst Model A I ever drove was a "restored" car. It took some work but it got done and was a silk smooth car afterwards.

Evaluate your liking, budget, and expectations and you can survey what's out there and make a good decision. Gary/ Brent/HL/Mike/Kevin, and others have all given you great advice. I just wanted to throw out some more info.
Also, inspect and drive each one.. put it through it's paces. You will learn a lot. But then too I don't get too excited or worried if it needs some work.. as that's what I do. I just take that into account.

Let us know what you do.
Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 09-04-2017 at 05:49 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
When I bought mine, I looked for a vehicle that had a "near perfect" body. I wasn't all that concerned with the mechanicals. I can handle that part. That proved out fairly well for me in that I have done a ton of mechanical things, but the body is still in great shape without having to do anything to it. Which is a good thing, since I just don't do well with body work.
X2, I want a fairly good body, but can do the mechanicals. Those 2 cars Gary Carr mentioned sound good, but you'd have to hire me to fly to California and drive them back to you.

On second though, I'd rather take the train. Flying sucks these days.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM   #46
Bob Bidonde

I agree, there are some nice Model A's for less than $20,000 on the market. However, my experience has been it is a rare event when a newly purchased good looking Model A does not need mechanical work, and some cosmetics.

I prefer to see a car rejuvenated than buying one that already is. It saves another precious antique / vintage car.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:17 AM   #47
IndianapolisRacer

I have been in cars for about 50 years and have bought cars at the big auctions and restored frame up as well purchased from individuals . This I can say every car I bought off the auction block required work often serious work and 1 was a forgery completely misrepresented . Buying from individuals was better but they too required work , restoration provides the best product in my opinion !
IndianapolisRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #48
woodlot1

Just so you know I like working on Model A,s its a lot of fun....I have owned A's for years. Not having one that's drivable stinks. last year I bought a 30 tudor that is partially restored, no interior, and leaks like a sieve. It is so much fun to drive it and not have to worry about someone hitting it or the kids spilling a drink. recently i bought a barn find that is complete and is suitable for a fine point restoration if i want to go that far. I have been working on the driver, adjusting the shims in the engine , adjusting the brakes, and just fixing the little things. I get the biggest kick out of driving down the streets in town and honking the darn horn at people. is it a show car? heck no its just fun. Next summer I'l start on the 4-door and try to bring the old girl back to like new condition. In my opinion its the best of both worlds one to drive, one to restore.
woodlot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #49
slammin

I think your circumstances will dictate what you buy. If you are young (at least younger than I), have a well equipped garage, mechanically inclined, and have the time to spare, a car that needs a lot of work is for you. If you are flush with money, have a reputable restorer do your work. If neither is the case, purchasing a car that has already had quality restoration done, will be a lot cheaper than it would be to duplicate the work. As a new member here shopping for his first Model A, I know there is no way I would ever finish a car that needs everything, and I can't afford to have the work professionally done.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote