Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default License light routing '38 Club Convertible ?

I got a call from an old friend tonight, inquiring about the routing of the license light wiring on a Club Convertible. As mine is a Convertible Coupe, I could not give him a definitive answer. His question, exactly, was "Where does the pigtail go through the floor?" He knows that it needs to connect to the tail light harness, and that the routing goes next to the driver side trunk lid hinge, but has no specifics. I know that on my Convertible Coupe, it travels from the license light along the rear to the driver side, then forward behind the rumble upholstery, but I'm not able to get under my car to see where it comes out.

My friend doesn't do internet, so if anyone has the answer, please post it here and I'll relay the message. Conversely, you could contact him directly, I'm sure many Barners know Lowell Kimble in Nebraska! He is finally finishing up his Club Convertible, and plans on attending the Grand National!
Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
37 Cab

Default Re: License light routing '38 Club Convertible ?

Alan.. Little off topic and I am sorry I cannot provide an answer for you but you mention your car is a convertible coupe. Is that somehow different than a cabriolet?
Old 02-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #3
ford38v8

Tommy, Ford shuffled model names about from time to time to take advantage of marketing trends, I suppose. The rumbleseat convertible, known as a Cabriolet in 1937, became Convertible Coupe in 1938. Meanwhile, the 4 seater convertible known as Club Cabriolet up to 1938, became a Convertible in the Mercury line in 1939.

My question about the routing of the license light pigtail involves the location of the license, being on the deck lid of the Club Cabriolet, while mine is on the panel below the rumbleseat lid. The pigtail for both may or may not go through the floorboard at the same location, I don't know.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:00 PM   #4
ford38v8

Default Re: License light routing '38 Club Cabriolet ?

OK, a friend called with an answer for a Coupe, which may be universal for all having a deck lid. He tells me that his Coupe has 4 stamped-in tabs on the decklid that fold over the wire, and a single clip on the body by the driver side hinge. Over and down behind the trunk cardboard, through a hole on the floorpan just forward of the gas tank filler bulge, covered by the edge of the floormat. From the underside, he sees the hole between the gas tank and the rear crossmember, the wire then meeting up with the tail light harness.

If anyone else can confirm this information, especially as pertains to a Club Cabriolet, I'd appreciate it!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
40cpe

My '38 club coupe is as you describe. The wire enters the floor about 5" forward of the gas filler bulge and about 1 1/2" to the rear of the body mount bolt as seen from the inside.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
My '38 club coupe is as you describe. The wire enters the floor about 5" forward of the gas filler bulge and about 1 1/2" to the rear of the body mount bolt as seen from the inside.
Thank you! Good info!