Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2021, 10:51 AM   #1
Daryl Stogryn

Default Multiple Oil Leaks after sitting?

This is my first time posting. My wife and I inherited a 29 Model A Roadster that has a rebuilt 28, 5 bearing cam engine that was rebuilt about 20years ago. The car was run regularly until about 5 years ago when my father in law took ill. We got the car in October '20. Spent the winter checking things over, replacing fluids etc. We have been driving this a couple of times per week all summer.

There has been a regular, but not appearing to be serious motor oil leak and nearby what seems to be a gear oil leak from the transmission. I have read through the threads (thanks for all of what you folks write - very helpful) but I am having trouble finding a way to easily track down if the oil leak from the motor is oil pan gasket related or rear oil seal. (I was told that when the engine was redone it was milled for a rear seal)

I have read different things about transmission leaks through the selector rod ends - and that it seems worse when driving hills. We live on top of a hill and it is up or down, 20-30degree grade, in all directions.

Recently drove about 50 miles at an average of 45mph and lost about 1/2 litre or more of motor oil. I am wondering if gaskets and seals have dried out from sitting for a few years and are getting worse as we drive it more...or what....

Would love some advice to get me started down the right sequence for investigating this.
Daryl Stogryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
WHN

Default Re: Multiple Oil Leaks after sitting?

What weight motor oil are you using?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #3
Daryl Stogryn

My father in law said that he only ever used 10w30. I am using that at the moment with about a litre of Lucas which I have used successfully in some old Brit cars for years. I am considering going to a 15w40 or even as high as 20w50. I currently use 20w50 in the 3 Brit engines (1972, 1974, 1951) that I run but was not sure about that for the Model A. I am new to these.

In the gearbox - as the recommendation of a Model A guy here, I am using straight Lucas but have just bought some Amsoil 240w gear oil to try in the tranny and rear end.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
WHN

I would drain the oil and put in 20w-50 HD oil. You might also want to add one blue bottle of STP as the last half quart. I think your running to light of an oil.

In the transmission, I would drain and get some 600w from one of the vendors. I use half 600w and half STP in both the trans and rear end. No leaks, no problems, many years, many miles.

Everyone has a view on oil! This is just my thinking.

Oil change is cheap. Try it, it can’t hurt.

Good luck. Just don’t start taking things apart looking for a problem you might not have. Remember, “all Model A’s mark their spot”.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Daryl Stogryn

Thank you - I will do the 20w50 for sure. That seems a good first try, and the STP.

AS for 600w - I can't get it here in Canada and not sure it will ship across the border. I have been told that the old 600w is about the same as a modern 250w. Do you have thoughts on that?
Old 09-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Stogryn View Post
Thank you - I will do the 20w50 for sure. That seems a good first try, and the STP.

AS for 600w - I can't get it here in Canada and not sure it will ship across the border. I have been told that the old 600w is about the same as a modern 250w. Do you have thoughts on that?
Try the 250w, just add some STP. It will make it thicker. Help with the shifting to.

Enjoy.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...The original owner's manual called for 20wt in the winter and 40wt in the summer...In Arizona, the builder of our engine specified 30wt as the engine has tight clearances...depending on the clearances for your mains and rods...50wt could be too thick for oil to move in the 1.5 thousands that should be between the caps and the crank. If the engine has a lot of miles on it, then maybe the 50wt would be ok...Others will no doubt chime in and give opinions...Hopefully a couple of the engine builders on our site will tell you what they instruct customers to run in the engines that they rebuild...Ernie in Arizona.
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:51 PM   #8
Daryl Stogryn

Thanks Ernie - the information I have is that the engine was rebuilt about 1999/2000. It has about 4000miles on it. It was rebuilt with babbet bearings but milled and a modern rear seal put in. We have a couple of months before real cold sets in so there is a bit of driving time left. I will change to 20w50 and run it a few times and see what it sounds like and if anything changes in terms of losing more than a respectable drip.

Thanks also WHN.
Cheers from the north.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #9
1crosscut

I'm not thinking the the weight of the oil is the most likely cause of your problem.
Perhaps you are running the oil level too high.
Most it seems and I am one of them run the oil at the mid point between the L and F mark. Running all the way to the full mark can make oil leaks from the rear main worse. Also make sure your dip stick is going all the way in. Sometimes the double thickness of the wire loop end is not pushed all the way into the opening for the dip stick. Not getting it all the way in and running the oil to the full mark will definitely cause a leak.
A's for the most part drip some oil out of the rear main on shut down.

Check to make sure the breather cap on the tube for putting oil in isn't pushed down too far blocking free air flow through the tube into the engine.

There is a small inspection plate at the rear of the engine that can be removed to get a look inside the flywheel housing and you can see some of the rear main and the oil pan seal. Take it off and have a look with a bright flashlight. Look with the engine off and also while running.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 PM   #10
Big hammer

My A likes the oil level 1/2 between F and L, when you change your oil put 4qts in and see if it's at L, then add only 1/2 qt.
Old 09-23-2021, 11:37 AM   #11
40 Deluxe

Auto parts store have inexpensive kits for tracing leaks. They have a dye to add to the oil, a special flashlight and tinted goggles. Run the engine and watch for leaks. Don't drive the car while doing this as leaking oil will blow around and make it harder to pinpoint the source.
Also, remember that the mains are only fed by gravity, and on a cool morning a thick oil like 40W or 50W may be too slow to flow down to the main bearings, starving them for oil.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:53 PM   #12
Daryl Stogryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Auto parts store have inexpensive kits for tracing leaks. They have a dye to add to the oil, a special flashlight and tinted goggles. Run the engine and watch for leaks. Don't drive the car while doing this as leaking oil will blow around and make it harder to pinpoint the source.
Also, remember that the mains are only fed by gravity, and on a cool morning a thick oil like 40W or 50W may be too slow to flow down to the main bearings, starving them for oil.
Good thought - thanks. I will experiment a bit this weekend.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:46 PM   #13
old ugly

if you are looking for the sequence to start, then i would start by locating the general area where the oil is coming from.

wash the engine and transmission first and wipe it clean. i use a brake clean to wash the outside of the mechanical components. be very cautious with brake clean and have no sources of ignition/flame any where near , the fumes are dangerous and very flammable.
once clean then start your search.

clean and dry your shop floor and watch where the drips are.

that will begin your oil leak journey.

ou
old ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Stogryn View Post

you can get 600w oil from george moir in edmonton, as well as any other model a parts you may need.
if not some have said, but i have never tried it, that they have used stp in the transmission.
ou
Old 09-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #15
old ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
I'm not thinking the the weight of the oil is the most likely cause of your problem.
Perhaps you are running the oil level too high.
Most it seems and I am one of them run the oil at the mid point between the L and F mark. Running all the way to the full mark can make oil leaks from the rear main worse. Also make sure your dip stick is going all the way in. Sometimes the double thickness of the wire loop end is not pushed all the way into the opening for the dip stick. Not getting it all the way in and running the oil to the full mark will definitely cause a leak.
A's for the most part drip some oil out of the rear main on shut down.

Check to make sure the breather cap on the tube for putting oil in isn't pushed down too far blocking free air flow through the tube into the engine.

There is a small inspection plate at the rear of the engine that can be removed to get a look inside the flywheel housing and you can see some of the rear main and the oil pan seal. Take it off and have a look with a bright flashlight. Look with the engine off and also while running.
this is good advise.

i would not start changing oil just to find a leak. sounds like a waste of money to me.

i always run 10-30 with some stp in it. it should not leak out.

oil level too high may contribute especially on hills but if you lost a qt then that should have taken care of the oil level question.

ou
Old 09-24-2021, 01:43 PM   #16
Werner

Hi Daryl,

on my revised engine, the crankshaft rear seal started to leak badly after 2000 miles. About 8 ounces for 100 miles.

I took thick SAE 50 oil, tried STP thickener - there was little improvement.
Since I don't feel like taking the heavy engine out again, I have clamped an enlarged drip pan between the clutch bell and the engine.

In addition, another smaller collecting cup is fixed under the bearing ball of the front axle triangular linkage with a neodymium magnet.

Annoying the two pans, but without leaving a telltale oil trail.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1120067.JPG (121.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg P1120111.JPG (151.5 KB, 14 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #17
WHN

I’ve owned and driven Model A Ford’s for over 60 years. Everyone has “dripped” oil. Not really a leak, just a few drips. I call it marking it’s spot.

In my view there is a difference between a drip and a leak. If you have by your definition an oil leak, you have a problem. Running your engine down half a quart of oil or more to cut down on the amount of oil on the ground is not solving your problem. If Ford wanted Model A’s to use just four quarts, he would have specified that.

Again, 60 years of Model A’s. No real major motor oil leak. Even in a car that sat for almost 35 years. When it was finally started again in early 81 it ran fine and still to this day runs great with minimal oil dripping. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Enjoy.