Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #1
BillCNC

Angry NEW parts That Are Junk!!!

RANT!

OK folk's I've had it up to my ear's with this crap. Over half of these parts coming from REPUTABLE VENDORS are junk. I will be going to go over my RE-Worked NEW parts list and AM going to post them here.

Vendors, beware, you send me junk for my hard earned cash, you'll read about it here! If you decide to not send me part's in the future, trust me, you'll be doing me a favor in the long haul!

This time, ... SNYDER'S

A-7506/09 Brake and Clutch Pedal set. 28-31

Pedals have grease fitting's, ... My old bushings had holes for the grease to flow through. The NEW set from Snyder's has "NO HOLES" in the bushing's. Pictures are of UN-open package.

Can someone who thinks I'm being silly explain to me why there is a grease fitting on the pedal to begin with? You would have thought if they wanted to give crappy parts to unsuspecting customers, they would have made the length short so at least a smidgen of grease would have a glimmer of hope and something to shoot for.

Am I supposed to modify these bushings? If I do, ... I WANT MY MONEY BACK for doing so. If I had used such a policy instead of making the parts correct to avoid the hassles of sending them back, heck, 60% of my chassis would be free!

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180114_104721.jpg (41.3 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg 20180114_104728.jpg (50.9 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 20180114_105150.jpg (42.9 KB, 260 views)

Last edited by BillCNC; 01-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: NEW parts That Are Junk!!!

None of the suppliers that I am aware of offer these bushings with holes in them. These same part number bushings are used in both the pedals and the bell housing. Only the 31's had grease fittings in the pedals. Each pedal requires two bushings. The grease fitting hole in the pedal falls in between the bushings.

What I do when installing bushings in the later pedals is to take the bushing over to a grinding wheel and grind a small "V" in the edge of two bushings. When installing them I line the "V" up with the hole so that when the two come together they form an opening that the grease can travel through.

Tom Endy
Old 01-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
wrndln

Bill,
I tend to agree with you on the quality of many repro parts. However, back in the day (50 or so years ago) we had just Rick's and J C Whitney (Warshawsky). Their parts were even worse than the ones now-a-days, so it could be even worse than it is. Original parts were more available back then, but many of us didn't think to search them out, as it was easier to just order pars from a catalog - young and foolish. It would be nice to have parts suppliers carry better parts, but many people want CHEAP. Parts made by A&L Parts Specialties tend to be of better quality. AL Lepore (passed away a few years ago) and now his son Alan and Bob his helper, try to make duplicate parts of high quality, but I have purchased a few clunkers for them. This is the reason I try to, when ever possible, restore original Ford parts. I realize this can't be done for some parts. Last comment: At least there are lots of parts available even if the quality is not so good for many of them.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
BillCNC

Tom, ...

Thanks for the mod tip, but I had already used a triangle file and then a rat tail file to correct the bearings before I made the post.

I am fully capable of modifying any part that they send me as I have been building prototypes for over 30 years. My point is, why should one have to in the first place?

Shouldn't the packaging then say, 28-30, 31 needs modification to bearings?

Should I have not been told before purchase?

What about all these people that don't have access or knowledge of machines to correct issues? They get to just stare at new parts that they cannot fit, ... sounds fun.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
BillCNC

Rusty,

Cheap, ... It doesn't cost one cent more to make a part correctly from a the drawing. Most of these issues are of sizing, not bad materials.

Cost's come from material types, finishes and such. Sure more machining operations cost more, but that was already figured into the part at the start If you cannot stick to a drawing, ... your only making scrap and wasting electricity.

Seem's they have a high scrap rate and they want to sell those pieces of scrap instead of having quality parts at a reasonable price, ... GREED, nothing more, nothing less.

I guess the issue I have with the vendors, is I wish they would start refusing their orders from their suppliers. The message will go up the chain and the problems will get fixed. But if they say nothing, ... then the mfg. think everything is fine and dandy.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Bill G

Last summer I ordered some headlight bucket swivel bolts. I don't even remember who I got them from. Now that I am in the middle of my winter project, I opened the little plastic bag and tried to put them into the bucket swivel socket. The bolt itself is correct, but the top of it is too wide. Wound up bead blasting the old ones. $5.00+ down the drain.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:24 PM   #7
denis4x4

I was in the aftermarket mail order parts business for years. The demand for quality is certainly there, but the number of people out there willing to pay the price for that quality is missing. While you might be willing to pay for a product built correctly to the original specs, the vast majority of people are not going to pay for that when a cheaper alternative is available. I suspect that a lot of A owners are on fixed incomes and unable to justify the price for quality manufacturing. Too, we're talking about a car introduced 90 years ago and the law of supply and demand for usable parts is resulting in increased prices.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:29 PM   #8
BillCNC

Like I said before,

It doesn't cost ONE CENT to make a part correctly to a drawing, ... period!

If anything, they are bleeding money making the parts to big, ... material = $.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
midgetracer

I for one think that bad mouthing our fine suppliers is uncalled for. These cars are over 80 years old. The parts keep them running and on the road. Quality is far better as is the number of parts being repoped. Most of us are somewhere between frugal and damn cheap and often choose the cheaper of two qualities of repro parts. Sure I would like higher quality parts at lower prices, but that is not reality. Suppliers usually tell us when it is a less than perfect part. I use Berts and Snyders and I must say that these people try their best to keep us happy. If you can make a higher quality parts please call the suppliers and I am sure they would handle them. Parts are on par with what I buy for my daily driver. Just my humble opinion.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #10
Synchro909

Pedals have grease fittings????? Never seen one except where I have drilled and tapped to fit one. If I were you, I wouldn't complain too hard. Heck, try buying a set of pedal bushes for a RHD car. We have to improvise - most use a gudgeon bush or make their own from scratch.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #11
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Like I said before,

It doesn't cost ONE CENT to make a part correctly to a drawing, ... period!

If anything, they are bleeding money making the parts to big, ... material = $.

Regards
Bill
I agree with you.
But it does take some one that knows what they are doing.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
redmodelt

I guess then you could grouse about having to line the hole up with the grease fitting hole if it came with one. And then you still have to ream them...
Old 01-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #13
Tom Endy

The Model A suppliers in the US deal everyday with poor quality parts coming from foreign countries. Most of these countries are very well capable of making excellent reproduction parts. The problem lies with US importers. They want it made cheap so as to maximize their profits.

My favorite supplier is Bratton's. Quite often they will state in their catalog that an item is not of good quality, but it is all that is available. Bratton's also tries to find local businesses that can reproduce given parts. The original Ford Motor Company drawings are available for a small fee. The use of a local business where personal involvement is involved goes a long way in ensuring continued good quality.

Tom Endy
Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
BillCNC

Guy's I respect your opinion, but I guess I have higher standards for what I call a usable part.

In my occupation of over 30 years, I have been building prototypes for just about every industry under the sun. I have had to go to factories because customers were complain parts were not being held to tolerances. It's standard operating procedure and happens ALL THE TIME!

Once someone goes over to the factory, watches the processes and see's were the issue is, it is quickly fixed. Funny thing is, more than not, it's something so completely stupid it get's over looked.

UNLESS they are aware, they do not know. Staying silent does not help the problem, it never has and never will.

If the vendors know of the issues and are not pressing their suppliers to correct them, then it's ALL on them because I'm tired of spending my hard earned cash on scrap metal.

It seems like I'm always buying stock to make my parts from.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
Terry, NJ

Yeah it does, Bill. Let's suppose you had a machine shop. And suppose you hired the cheapest labor and figured you'd train them. And Juan or Miguel just didn't care very much whether they made good parts or not. And you gave 500 parts to ream an exact .250 hole in. Long about the 290th part he gets lazy, He just wants this done, finito! He gets lazy and starts pushing the reamer through, really straining the flutes. The hole is now .252 or .253, The reamer's is turning blue. but Paco doesn't care, it's twenty minutes to 5:00 and he's going home for the day. In the meantime, he's making scrap. And if you have a lot of operations in the parts, it's a dead loss! That's how it costs more!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Rusty,

Cheap, ... It doesn't cost one cent more to make a part correctly from a the drawing. Most of these issues are of sizing, not bad materials.
Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Endy View Post
The Model A suppliers in the US deal everyday with poor quality parts coming from foreign countries. Most of these countries are very well capable of making excellent reproduction parts. The problem lies with US importers. They want it made cheap so as to maximize their profits.

My favorite supplier is Bratton's. Quite often they will state in their catalog that an item is not of good quality, but it is all that is available. Bratton's also tries to find local businesses that can reproduce given parts. The original Ford Motor Company drawings are available for a small fee. The use of a local business where personal involvement is involved goes a long way in ensuring continued good quality.

Tom Endy
Thanks Tom,

A couple of days ago, I returned a Float a motor mount set from CW Moss that couldn't be bolted to the frame. They said they had a few returned recently. They know haw far I have to drive to go there, you would have thought they would have mentioned a possible issue with the part before I walked out the door with it. Gave me the option of trying it or not.

Anyhow, I called Bratton's last Friday and ordered a set. Nice people.
Ship's on Tuesday.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 04:03 PM   #17
JBill

I always drill the hole for the grease fitting after the bushing is installed. I can't imagine the headache of trying to drive in a bushing with a hole in it so that that hole lines up with the hole for the grease fitting. A lot of complaining about not much. These are reputable dealers, and without them how many Model As would there be on the road today. Jeez.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #18
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Yeah it does, Bill. Let's suppose you had a machine shop. And suppose you hired the cheapest labor and figured you'd train them (Si señor). And Juan or Miguel just didn't care very much whether they made good parts or not. And you gave 500 parts to ream an exact .250 hole in. Long about the 290th part he gets lazy, He just wants this done, finito! He gets lazy and starts pushing the reamer through, really straining the flutes. The hole is now .252 or .253, The reamer's is turning blue. but Paco doesn't care, it's twenty minutes to 5:00 and he's going home for the day. In the meantime, he's making scrap. And if you have a lot of operations in the parts, it's a dead loss! That's how it costs more!
Terry
Terry,

With all due respect, Juan and Miguel would have been swapped out long before the had the chance to jack up any parts, or they would have been doing less critical operations like DE-burring, finishing or packaging until he was trained properly. You don't willingly put fools on a machine.

There is ALWAYS a good supply of labor, find the talent, I always have. If your business model is relining on the lowest pay you could possibly give someone, you really have no business running a business.

Remember guy's, lot's of these parts are USA made, not some 3rd world country, ... well unless we are being lied to.

Regards
Bill
Old 01-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #19
SSsssteamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
I always drill the hole for the grease fitting after the bushing is installed. I can't imagine the headache of trying to drive in a bushing with a hole in it so that that hole lines up with the hole for the grease fitting. A lot of complaining about not much. These are reputable dealers, and without them how many Model As would there be on the road today. Jeez.
Times 2
Old 01-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #20
BillCNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Bill,

I could only wish it was just these bushings. within 2 weeks or so,

Brake camshafts (shaft diameter .010" to big AND .125" to short making the bolt holes in wrong spot. Had to shave the inside face of levers .125" so holes lined up)

Brake levers (Bore .010" to small)

Transmission main shaft (Wrong diameter and unfinished radii)

Rear Spring U-bolts (Jacked up threads)

Brake spring set (3 unusable springs, angles on the springs off)

Flow Tested Jet (didn't have a hole, so how did they flow test it?)

Seem's like all this work on just THESE parts would suck all the fun out of owning an A, ... but I still keep chugging along. And for someone who is more retired than not, ... Fun is not working on something that you paid to have done for you, ... making a usable part.

Contrary to popular belief, Staying silent doesn't fix squat!

Regards
Bill
Closed Thread