Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
BadgerA

Default Pick Up Seat Bottom Question

As you know, there was/is a wood piece that runs across the pick up seat frame bottom. There is a hole on each side of the seat frame where a wood screw goes into the top of the wood cross piece. Originally, did Ford fasten this piece in any other fashion or was the wood screw the only point of fastening? Thanks.
BadgerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #2
MickeyT

Send a message via MSN to MickeyT Send a message via Yahoo to MickeyT
Default Re: Pick Up Seat Bottom Question

As I remember there is only the screw. The board in mine was also missing. I added a second screw, upper and lower to the board.
MickeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
Neil Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerA View Post
As you know, there was/is a wood piece that runs across the pick up seat frame bottom. There is a hole on each side of the seat frame where a wood screw goes into the top of the wood cross piece. Originally, did Ford fasten this piece in any other fashion or was the wood screw the only point of fastening? Thanks.

For the cab, the board was a support for the seat cushion and the floor pan. There were six wood screws attaching the floor pan to the bottom edge of the board. The floor board screw holes are shown for the 82-A at https://aafords.com/cabs/82-a-closed...ab-details/#fp

https://aafords.com Ford Model AA Truck Club @ aafords.com
Neil Wilson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
BadgerA

Very interesting! Thanks for the information. Am I to assume that the 68B used the same system? I know the replacement pans don't have the holes drilled in the bottom ribs. Would not be a big issue doing this. The challenge is adding the wood piece to a finished seat frame. There are three "levels" in on the edges of the bottom pan which requires that three notches are cut out to match. Not easy to "twist the wood to conform. I am guessing that when the trucks were made, the board was installed and the bottom screws attached and then the top of the seat frame was lowered onto the bottom part and riveted into place. Would make installation much simpler. Most of the trucks I have looked at are missing the board which makes sense as the vast majority of restored trucks have the pan replaced.
BadgerA is offline   Reply With Quote