Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default After Replacing the Headgasket

I completed changing out the head gasket after finding water in the oil. This was not an easy job, the head was stuck and some of the studs required Helicoils and finally I cracked the gooseneck and had to replace it. If nothing else, the job gave me something to do during the lockdown!

Everything seems to be fine. All nuts torqued to 55 ft-lbs and after 4 or 5 runs of 15-30 minutes and checking torques when the engine had cooled, the values have leveled out and stayed at 55 ft. lbs. Car starts and runs perfectly. I must have been traumatized because I don't trust it! After each run up to full temperature and letting the car cool I have been draining the radiator over night just in case the seal wasn't perfect. Now, I think it is time to let it go and let the car be a normal operating Model A.

My question is, what is good practice in how often I should check the torque on all the nuts in the weeks ahead? How long should I let the car run after which it would be good to check the torque? At this point I still am not comfortable going on a club tour. Thanks for your help, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:56 AM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: After Replacing the Headgasket

3X on checking nut tensions each building on the earlier (ALWAYS tighten - or try to tighten) then walk away and look in the oil pan periodically.

It worked before, it will work now - you just fixed the "issues."

Have confidence. Its like putting a roof on. If you did it right every step of the way, you just KNOW it won't leak.

Its a nice feeling when you get there. And why I like to do roofing.

Joe K
Old 04-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
30 Closed Cab PU

I like to check mine both before and after storage. Before storage to prevent seepage during storage (stored full of antifreeze), after in case the gasket compresses when not being run. After the head/gasket readings settled, have not noticed changes/loosening of the torque.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
Big hammer

Draining coolant over night, an old timer 50 years ago would drain coolant over night, start the car and add spring water the next morning. He said he didn't have money for anti- freeze, when it was so cold when the engine wouldn't turn over he would build a fire under the car to warm the oil. The good old days!
Now that you think you fixed your problem, no leaks, you could add some stop leak to the coolant ? Re torque when you change the oil, Enjoy your car take it on your club outing, you know you could have a flat, water in the fuel, battery go dead, Just relax and have fun !!!
Old 04-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
Sunnybrook Farm

A lot of the old guys would put the old granular stop leak in a new engine just to seal everything. A guy who built race engines did one of mine so I put it in mine and haven't had any problems, just figured he knew what he was doing as he used to win the races.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
J Franklin

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
AlumaSeal powder is great and won't clog anything in the cooling system.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...I usually check the torque at 50 and then 100 miles and from then on once a year. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Since you just put the head on, check your torque often for the next few months. It will relax and you don't want the head loose. Assuming you will drive it a lot, several times a week, check it every week until it holds. It's easy to do and you know you have a tight head.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
Bob Bidonde

Barr's Stop Leak (with pellets) is a wise addition to your coolant after a head gasket is replaced.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:24 PM   #10
Ron W

Hi Ed. After you've checked it a few times, don't worry about it. I haven't checked mine in 3 years plus. No issues! I would be careful about block sealer. My radiator had problems flowing well because of too much sealer before I got the car. Good to see you're still around. Ron W
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
1crosscut

You can't torque the head too many times but you can torque it too much.

In other words it doesn't hurt to check the torque often but just don't over torque the ft. lbs.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #12
History

My Vietnam Seabee buddy told the other day that if I were to use a stop leak product to use a product I've already forgotten the name of ,but what I do remember is he said take a bucket and mix 50/50 water and antifreeze in the bucket and add the sealant to that and not the radiator. After it was mixed good in the bucket, then pour it in the radiator. I don't know if that's the correct way to do it but it made sense to me. Experts???

I just googled and found it, Dike. He says it was recommended to him by an old radiator guy over other products for some reason or another.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:47 PM   #13
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by History View Post

I just googled and found it, Dike. He says it was recommended to him by an old radiator guy over other products for some reason or another.
Dike is, or was a product of Conklin, farm stores carried those type of products. It was a liquid with basically the same stuff called AlumaSeal in it. easy to use and maybe his way of installing it would work well with any stop leak. I don't use antifreeze but use soluble oil water pump Lub and rust preventer.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote