Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #1
Mn1949ford

Default Block cleaning and magnaflux

Hey fellas- Can anybody recommend a place in Minnesota to get my flathead block cleaned and magnafluxed? I live between St Cloud and Princeton,but will drive as far as needed. Thanks
Mn1949ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
GOSFAST

Default Re: Block cleaning and magnaflux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn1949ford View Post
Hey fellas- Can anybody recommend a place in Minnesota to get my flathead block cleaned and magnafluxed? I live between St Cloud and Princeton,but will drive as far as needed. Thanks
It needs to be pressure tested more than it needs "magging", pressure test shows everything?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. "Magging" is definitely OK though! Pressure test first, "mag" second! (Tip), whatever shop you choose for machining try to find one that has a block-plate to finish hone the bores?
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #3
Mn1949ford

Thanks Gary. I will try to find someone to pressure test then.
Old 12-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
It needs to be pressure tested more than it needs "magging", pressure test shows everything?

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. "Magging" is definitely OK though! Pressure test first, "mag" second! (Tip), whatever shop you choose for machining try to find one that has a block-plate to finish hone the bores?
Gary is a pro and his advice is spot on. After going through four blocks recently, only thing I would add to his suggestion is this:

Clean it the best you can at home first before doing any tests. The fifth block that I wound up using had so much crud in the rear of the block, I literally could drive a long screw driver into the mass like a nail into wood. If I keep that crud in, I believe it would have sealed a leak while pressure testing.

When you are up and personal with the block, you can sometimes find cracks yourself before spending any money on any services. On two of them, I was able to locate cracks by eye.

Its a dirty job, but a necessary step. Use braided cable in a drill, screw drivers, coat hanger, or anything you can to get in there and clean as much out as you can first.
Having it on a stand helps because you can tilt the block to get the crud to fall either forward or back and you can vacuum it out with a shop vac.

Once you scrape out as much as you can, then have it pressure tested. I prefer to give it a quick cleaning dip before magging it.

If it all checks out, I highly recommend a bake and blast cleaning before the machine work starts to get any of the remaining crud out. After machining, it will need to be dipped cleaned again to get rid of the metal dust that is there. A rag cleaning doesn't always get off all of the cast iron dust left from the machining process.

Many steps involved but worth the effort and expense to ensure you have a good block before building.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 12-04-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
Mn1949ford

Thanks for all the info,Tim. The knowledge on this site is amazing
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #6
swedishsteel

I had my '36 Lb machined at Auto Value in Little Falls. The guy that did it has passed away, but it's possible he trained one of the other guys in the shop. When I was there they had multiple engines they were working on with several guys wrenching. Right now I have a head for my 630 Case diesel and a 351w block at the Auto value in Brainerd. They have done good work for me in the past, and he has a '38 21 stud there now. I know he has worked on flatheads, just don't know how much.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
chain drive

best way is the furnace method
chain drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
Mn1949ford

Thanks swedish steel. Little falls isn't that far away
Old 12-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #9
kketchmark

You could check on this place. https://wagamonbrothers.com I have not used them but I know they do flat heads. I stop there for something and they had a couple on the floor. I used this shop in New Brighton MN when I rebuilt my willys 134 flathead. They did a great job on the block and machine work. Very friendly. I think it is called Metro Engine service (52 1st St SE, New Brighton, MN 55112 +16516364008. I know it is in the same building. They changed there name a couple years ago. They are very busy. But have done a lot of flatty's.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Mn1949ford

Thanks for the info,kketchmark