Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
37fatfender

Default Buyers Beware new 10 inch pressure plate in T5

I just went and replaced my clutch and pressure plate in front of my T5. I bought the parts at a Napa store, its probably not their fault. A simple 10 inch clutch and pressure plate the same setup that came out, with a Offenhauser bell housing. After putting it all back together the moment of truth arrives I start the engine........WOW...sounds like no oil in it and all the bearing are coming out of it.......Well. I left it over night because I was to frustrated to tear it down again and I wanted to think about what I possibly could have done wrong. I've replaced them before so it all seems like is should just bolt back together.
This morning I pulled it all apart......the problem the "NEW" pressure plate counter weights are hitting the bell housing. After close examination the counter weights overall diameter is 3/16 of a inch larger than my old pressure plate weights and were hitting the bellhousing as the engine rotated. What a pain in the tush, Anyone else have this problem with the counter weights hitting the Offenhauser bellhousing / T5 setup???.
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
prpmmp

Default Re: Buyers Beware new 10 inch pressure plate in T5

Yes!! Put the adapter in my lath and cut about 1/4 by 1/4 out (there is plenty of meat), I bought my set up from Speedway. Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
DICK SPADARO

You should not have this issue with 10" plate. You should be using a 10" PP for a 40-48 Ford passenger car not 49-53 passenger car no matter what year engine you have. What is the part number of the plate you used? This will happen if you use an 11" p plate.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
BILLF/TRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by prpmmp View Post
Yes!! Put the adapter in my lath and cut about 1/4 by 1/4 out (there is plenty of meat), I bought my set up from Speedway. Pete
I had the same problem with the Speedway adapter and I had to take off so much metal I thought I would be have a strength problem, but so far it's holding. Not sure, but I think the ones from Cornhuskers have more clearance.
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
skidmarks

the only issue i ran into with the speedway adapter was the half moon cutout for the starter cover was clocked alittle out, trimed it out with a bandsaw

the issue i ran into with an 11" clutch with one of those store bought plate adapters. was the directions stating to use a 32 to 48 throw out bearing collar which wouldnt give any free play in the throwout bearing. that was corrected with the matching throw out bearing collar to the hogs head BUT they are drilled different so that has to be fitted.

when i machined out my own adapters i didnt have this issue.

basically the problem you run into with the majority of aftermarket parts hustlers is the directions are a little vague and if you point anything out you get a cocky response.

if your in the market and cant make your own stuff, cornhuskers is the only place i would recomend
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
4t8v8

Used the Cornhuskers complete adapter kit. 10" clutch. Went together perfectly with no clearance problems. Highly recommend Cornhuskers' parts.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
Ross F-1

I had that problem with one rivet on a NAPA clutch PP hitting one of the bosses for the bolts to the trans (stock truck type setup) on the clutch cover. Scared the #$%^& out of me!!!
Old 11-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
prpmmp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLF/TRF View Post
I had the same problem with the Speedway adapter and I had to take off so much metal I thought I would be have a strength problem, but so far it's holding. Not sure, but I think the ones from Cornhuskers have more clearance.
So far mine is holding up also!! Would putting 2 more mounts at the bellhousing help? My motor mounts are at the waterpumps and then the one at the trans,kind uf far apart!! Pete
prpmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
skidmarks

Mid mount wouldn't hurt but so far I haven't had a problem with the first one I did 10 yrs ago and drive it all the time.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
37fatfender

I checked my receipts and the "new" pressure plate is Speedways 10 inch. I have no idea who made the old pp.
37fatfender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Shootest

33 in the snow (Medium).jpg

I had the same problem with a 11" clutch. I milled out the bellhousing to make room for the fly weights (lots of meat available). Works good now. But was quite a pain to remove the transmission a second time.
Shootest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Kahuna

I almost ordered a 10" Pressure plate from Speedway. When I called, they said there was a warning on that part that there may be interference with any aftermarket bell housing.
Not wanting to have to send something back, I went to NAPA and got one: a 10" diaphram type. Hope it works
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Straightpipes

Go back up and read what Dick wrote........
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #14
Krylon32

I have had this problem with some/not all the new pps I sell. I have gotten them from the same place for many years but they may source them from wherever they are the cheapest. I address this in my instructions and most of the time it's just a simple matter of removing the material from the bellhousing where it's rubbing. I wouldn't recommend removing the counter weights, they're there for a reason. Gary at Cornhusker
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
felix37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootest View Post
Attachment 155873

I had the same problem with a 11" clutch. I milled out the bellhousing to make room for the fly weights (lots of meat available). Works good now. But was quite a pain to remove the transmission a second time.
Yeah! I had the same problem using the 11'' truck pressure plate as well. fired her up and heard a horrible grinding sound, removed the transmission and relieved the adapter and haven't looked back since. I hate having to do things twice! but that's the way it goes when making modifications.
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote