Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #1
Pat's Ride

Default 1938 Tudor Windshield

Hello all, I recently purchased a 1938 that was restored/built in 2006. I asked the owner about the crank out windshield and was told he opened it a couple of times but didn't like to do so because it was hard to get it sealed well afterwards.

So my question is, how much force does the handle take to turn? I've tried turning it while pushing out on the WS at the bottom and it won't budge.

I really don't want to break anything but would like to have the option.

Thanks, Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 38.jpg (121.9 KB, 201 views)
Pat's Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: 1938 Tudor Windshield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's Ride View Post
Hello all, I recently purchased a 1938 that was restored/built in 2006. I asked the owner about the crank out windshield and was told he opened it a couple of times but didn't like to do so because it was hard to get it sealed well afterwards.

So my question is, how much force does the handle take to turn? I've tried turning it while pushing out on the WS at the bottom and it won't budge.

I really don't want to break anything but would like to have the option.

Thanks, Pat

Can't help but love the '38 Standard!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
PHATBOY

I have a 37' Tudor Standard and I crank mine out with one hand. When I crank it in I usually do it while driving because the wind helps push it in. Then I tighten it down really hard. It still doesn't seal very good. There are drain holes in the body at the bottom left and right sides of the windshield area. Make sure they have good rubber drain hoses on them or rain will leak into the cab.
Are you sure the previous owner didn't caulk the window shut?
PHATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Ben38

Beautiful car!
Ben38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #5
drolston

Push out on the bottom of the windshield while cranking out enough to get some pressure, but not enough to risk stripping gears or tearing gasket. Then push out pretty hard at spots all along the bottom and sides of the windshield, bumping a bit as you hold outward pressure. Then add a little more pressure on the crank, and repeat.

Once it comes free, open it out and rub a little rubber lube (I always used Vaseline) along both surfaces of the gasket.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
Pat's Ride

Thanks for the compliments and advise. I'll try it again this weekend.
Old 10-07-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Ya know, I've looked closely at your windshield frame on your '38. My goodness, that rubber seal around the frame looks like it sets very deep in the windshield opening as compared with many other '37-'39 Ford windshields. It is almost like someone went to great pains to either hammer or methodically push that rubber gasket very deep within the opening in the body. I can see why it is refusing to move. And as deep-seated as your frame is in the body opening, I might be reluctant to try to push it back out. It is very easy to crack one (or both) of those panes of glass if you manage to twist or distort that frame while massaging it outward. And secondly, that little mechanism that pushes and retracts the frame inward and outward is extremely fragile. It doesn't take much at all to strip or snap-off the little pot-metal tangs that the winding worm pushes and pulls on. I just sold my '37 coupe that we've owned for nearly 20 years, and even when the windshield opens easily, it is still an operation that you need to treat with kid gloves.....in other words, your hands need to help that window move, not using the winder to put the force on it. Great idea back then, with a wholly inadequate mechanism to operate the beast. Below is a picture of one not sitting so far into the opening as yours. Nice looking sedan that YOU have there!! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:03 AM   #8
Charlie ny
BANNED

Don't dismiss the possibility that the previous owner permanently set the winshield
in the closed position. The opening w/s is a funky feature but the cowl vent provides
the most practical venting.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
Robert/Texas

Some time ago I clamped down the windshield on my ’37 Fordor tightly to prevent it from leaking. When summer came it seemed impossible to open it without breaking something. The following winter I was finally able to open it. Since then I have been keeping it just slightly loose and only tightening it when driving in the rain.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:47 AM   #10
Juergen

Charlie's suggestion is right on. It was a poor design for closure. It only pulls in the middle. To close it they would have added two clamps on the ends as the windshield is not that rigid to squeeze the ends shut. The don't close convertible tops with just a clamp in the center. So if you don't want leaks, it is better to use the cowl vent for ventilation.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
blucar

Nice car! Reviewing the pix I to noted that the windshield frame appears to be sunken into the body opening, as others have mentioned. It is apparent to me that your car is a highly modified car, therefore, I would surmise that the previous owner/builder, glued the windshield in place to avoid wind/water intrusion.
Cementing a windshield in place is very common in the street rod/custom world, to avoid buying a new frame assembly and correct gasket.
I think the rule of thumb in this case should be 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
Old 10-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
marko39

If you're intent on getting it open, you can disconnect the mechanism to prevent damage.You have to remove inside garnish to get to the mechanism arms. I have the opposite problem, getting it to close all the way.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
40cpe

Blucar, are you mistaking the red car posted by coopman for the car posted by the original poster? To me, the black '38 in the original post doesn't look "highly modified". For the original poster, attached is a picture of my '38 with a D. Carpenter gasket fitted and operating as intended. The second picture is to show how the windshield can look sunken from a distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '38wshiled gskt.jpg (64.7 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg '38wshield.jpg (66.7 KB, 137 views)
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 12:44 PM   #14
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post
Blucar, are you mistaking the red car posted by coopman for the car posted by the original poster? To me, the black '38 in the original post doesn't look "highly modified". For the original poster, attached is a picture of my '38 with a D. Carpenter gasket fitted and operating as intended. The second picture is to show how the windshield can look sunken from a distance.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #15
blucar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cpe View Post

I based my assumption that the black 38 in the original posting is a modified car because of the later model wheels/hub caps and the street rod 'Swan' rear view mirror on the drivers door.
In my mind when the statement "re-stored" is made, that implys the vehicle is "as new".
Old 10-09-2021, 12:59 PM   #16
Pat's Ride

Hello all, let me start by saying thank you to everyone for the advice and compliments.

I know it's not completely stock so restored probably was the wrong term. It has the original engine and drive train although the engine was hopped up a bit. The modified parts are 12 volts, front disc brakes, electric fuel pump, fan and points; and interior updated. I'll add some pictures.

As for the windshield, I looked at it closer this morning and don't think it's sitting deeper than the other photos in this thread. With that being said, I feel leaving good enough alone is probably the best path. The crank doesn't move at all. I did find part of the seal rolled under (see photo) I corrected that. I just don't feel like breaking anything.

I mostly have owned mid 60's cars, this is the oldest one I've owned and I find the things like the WS fascinating. I'd liked to open it, but it's not a must do.

Thanks again and hope you enjoy the pictures. ~Pat
Old 10-09-2021, 01:07 PM   #17
Pat's Ride

Well I can't upload pictures right now so I'll get them to a hosting site and add them in a bit.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #18
Pat's Ride

Sorry, give me some time to figure this out...
Old 10-09-2021, 01:54 PM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat's Ride View Post
Sorry, give me some time to figure this out...

Pat ....If you want, e-mail your pictures to me and I'll post 'em for you. My e-mail below! DD

[email protected]

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 02:25 PM   #20
Pat's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Pat ....If you want, e-mail your pictures to me and I'll post 'em for you. My e-mail below! DD

[email protected]

Thanks V8!!! Email sent.