Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
murrie

Default model b oil pressure

why does model b engine lose oil pressure when turning corner?normal driving ahead holds 3 to 5 #
murrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: model b oil pressure

How much oil is in the pan??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
murrie

its up the full mark on oil stick, ronny
Old 05-28-2018, 11:56 PM   #4
Kahuna

No pan baffles around pump
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

Previous comments plus. Can we assume the engine sits in the same position as the Model A engine did and not on an angle? Does it happen on both left and right turns? Did you happen to notice how much oil you added to get to the full mark? If I remember correctly it is 4 quarts or almost 5 if the dipper trays are empty. Are you sure you have the correct dip stick? The dip sticks were the same 1928-34 for the 4 cylinder engines but do you know what you have? Good luck.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #6
murrie

i dont have any bafffles around pump.dip stick is the same match with a model coupe i have,i'm sure as you say it nearly held 5 quarts.i just went for a drive and paid closer attention to oil pressure and it declined more as i was braking before i turned.it went down to 0 to 1 lbs on braking and worse on right turn,unless braking was the culprit to start with.also the engine is same level as other engine.the pressure picks right back up on acceleration.may be i have a model oil pump in it and that is a problem.my last question is will this momentery loss damage the engine?only 300 miles on it and was'nt noticed until i added the guage.sometimes what you don't know will hurt you.any advice,or ideas will be appreciated.thanks for replying.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #7
DavidG

If you don't have the undercut shaft in the pump as original (unlike at least some of the Model A pump shafts) you are not getting the pump volume that was intended. Also, are you positive that you don't have the triangular semi-cone-shaped baffle that fits over the top of the pump before it is installed in the cylinder block?

It strikes me that your oil pressure is too low in general, apart from braking or turning. The engine in my avatar produces 7-8 psi at slow idle and 12-14 psi at any kind of speed, including fast idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2573.jpg (60.0 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by DavidG; 05-29-2018 at 08:46 PM. Reason: additional information
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
murrie

i do know the shaft is under cut in the oil pump.my pressure is steady while driving but i will pay closer attention to numbers.i do know i dont have a baffle around oil pump.i just know while braking hard oil pressure drops to 0 to i/2 pounds.can it be acc. no baffle?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
rotorwrench

It needs the cover over the screen to be secure and that butterfly wing plate P/N B-6631 to help control oil flow and pick up. The spring on the bottom that holds the pump may have some fatigue but as long as the pump is working it should be OK. Wear on the gears, gear plate, or body can lower the pressure.

These old engines don't need a lot of oil pressure since it's mostly just feeding oil for gravity flow unless this engine has been modified but it's nice to know that there is some flow going on. B engines had pressure on mains but they had better bearings too. When they are worn they will talk to you.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 05-30-2018 at 10:15 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:35 PM   #10
murrie

for safety sake i'll replace the oil pump(which was a used one)with one with the proper cover around it.thanks for you help
Old 05-30-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
Mart

I have experienced low oil pressure on a V8 and found my dipstick was mismatched. I had to fill from scratch and re-mark the dipstick. The new marks were about 3/4" above the old. Just mentioning it in case your parts are giving an artificially low level although reading ok.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote