Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
L78CHEVELLE

Default 40 wagon antenna question

I put a Carpenter antenna on my 1940 station wagon. I don't think I have this antenna working as it should. When I turn the antenna down into the holding clip on the windshield it is hard to get it on the clip. The interior knob used to turn the antenna up or down does push in to move the rod of the antenna in toward the clip or out away from the clip, but it does not lock the antenna rod on to the clip. The rod will move to the left or right of the clip easily with a slight wind or while driving it. Shouldn't this antenna have resistance to keep it on the resting clip? There is a screw on the antenna base the instructions say is an adjustment screw, but it does not say what it adjust????? I turned it a few turns and saw little if any improvement in my situation. What am I missing here? Also, the radio comes on, but does not pick up any stations at all. Is this all related? Pictures attached. Tune less in Kentucky!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 40 antenna problem.jpg (38.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1 40 antenna problem (2).jpg (40.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 1 40 antenna problem (3).jpg (44.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by L78CHEVELLE; 03-09-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add pictures
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:45 AM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 40 wagon antenna question

Even the original is a bit touchy to get right on the resting clip. Check the antenna next to the clip for proper positioning, as just the slightest amount of bend in the rod will either be too tight or too loose while on the clip. I find that a tight fit works best for me to prevent ther wind from taking it off the clip, but that also means I have to reach around to lift it on or off. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Aquaroscoe

Do you have the interior "C" clip installed? Because the antenna aligns based on the chrome bumps in the antenna, and the plastic holder that goes through the car. The "C" clamps put pressure on everything to keep if from moving easily
Aquaroscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #4
L78CHEVELLE

I installed everything that was in the kit. I don't recall a "C" clip that had to be installed. The antenna does turn up or down when I push the interior knob in and turn it. I can feel it snap into place when it is all the way up, but it still moves around more than I think it should.
L78CHEVELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
mick

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It's at best a poorly designed system ..... . I took the antenna and just bent it a bit at the base so it held firmly under some tension into the receiver and stays in place while driving . (I don't use the dash knob . )
When I want the antenna up , I go outside the car , pull the antenna out of the receiver and move it to a vertical position , reverse to put it back . Mick
mick is offline   Reply With Quote