Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #1
JHFORD51

Default 39 sedan front disc brake or not?

I'm building my 39 Ford sedan for a decent driving family ride. Nothing crazy-- warmed up flathead, tube shocks, anti-sway bars, and otherwise stock. Stock ride height but I want to run 6.50x16 tires on the wide five wheels. Question is will the chevy or mopar front disc conversions AND the requisite wide five adapter cause wheel/tire clearance issues with the front fenders and 6.50x16s? I could run the MT Products bendix backing plates with the factory drums, however, I like the thought of discs and auto zone calipers/pads. I have not had too great of success in the past with modern drum brake linings glazing over and failing to stop properly on lots of different old trucks, not to mention the surprise of pulling to one side or the other every time quick braking is required. Any advice out there?
JHFORD51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 39 sedan front disc brake or not?

Try the Hamb. This forum doesn't do street rods.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
mrtexas

Why not get some 42 squareback spindles some disc adaptors from ECI? I did and used 40 wheels. http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early...nversions.html

I might add that it cost no more than repro Lincoln bendix brakes.

Last edited by mrtexas; 03-06-2014 at 11:21 AM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:09 AM   #4
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
So disc brakes constitute a street rod? Get real. I've run F-1 brakes on the front of my 39 for close to 20 years. They're not as good as discs, but stop well.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:36 AM   #5
Kahuna

Well adjusted 39 brakes work real good
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
tub1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
good condition early ford brakes work fine just adjust correctly and drive according to traffic conditions
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:12 AM   #7
Talkwrench

Good condition and well adjusted brakes work ok. You may just want to add a power booster , easy done. You will be changing to more than just the discs if you go down that path ; o )
Old 03-04-2014, 02:47 AM   #8
klicker

I agree, well adjusted stock brakes are fine. Adapt later bendix brakes if you feel you must. My stock 39 stops better than a friend's 37 sedan that has late model engine, independent suspension, disc brakes and mismatched master cylinder (wrong size I'm guessing). As Talkwrench says, you'll start the dominoes falling....
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
okiedokie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub1 View Post
good condition early ford brakes work fine just adjust correctly and drive according to traffic conditions

Bingo!
okiedokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:13 AM   #10
rick r

real good and fine as compared to what?
rick r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
HCO41

While I agree with those who properly maintain the original brakes whether mechanical or hydraulic, I see no reason why someone should be referred to the HAMB just because they want to do discs!
If Alan feels so strongly about this thread then I suggest that he make up a list of modifications he would approve so we can avoid his references.
For example, I have '39 brakes on my '37, should I go to the H.A.M.B.?
I plan to replace my 60hp with an 8ba and, god forbid, I'm going to use a "78" case with later gears! Go to the H.A.M.B.?
Many people are adding a dual master cylinder, for safety, should they go to the H.A.M.B.?
How about multiple carburetors, four barrels, electric fuel pumps, non-stock cams, longer strokes, T-5 5 speed transmissions and so many more "hot rod" modifications? To the H.A.M.B.?
I think that as long as the flathead engine is the power, no matter the application, this forum can be enjoyed by all of us.
Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
Juergen

I think a key issue here is that you plan on running the original (skinny) 6.50 x 16 tires. The Bendix brakes are more than adequate to make your tires skid, so anything else is overkill. And it is the easiest solution to retaining wide 5. Now if you were running bigger tires, you could use and apply more braking power.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
42merc

Quote:

If your just puttin' around town, stock brakes are just fine.
My '40 has a mildly modified flathead and a Lincoln overdrive transmission, that allows me to drive in the left hand lane. Also a top notch braking system that includes F1 front brakes. In heavier and faster traffic I feel that front discs are warranted to reduce the anxiety.
Before you tell me to slow down, I don't need driving lessons, just better brakes.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:18 AM   #14
blucar

Quote:
Hmmmm? Does this mean I should take my business, and 60 plus years of knowledge, somewhere else??

I'm not to sure about the need to upgrade a basically stock suspension to disk brakes.. From my point of view the '39-41 brakes leave a lot to be desired..
I had them on my '36 for many years, first with '41 drums/wheels and '46 hub caps. As time went bye I converted the brakes to '42-48 brakes using '39 drums, '36-39 wheels with '36 hub caps.
Properly maintained I have no trouble stopping my car.. It is a "Hot Rod" with extensive modifications, most of which are in the '41-48 range, to the suspension and the 59 AB engine...
I guess there is a contract out on my life now for being so disrespectful to Henry Fords creation....
Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #15
40cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42merc View Post
If your just puttin' around town, stock brakes are just fine.
My '40 has a mildly modified flathead and a Lincoln overdrive transmission,
The Lincoln OD in an early frame has been discussed here before. I've searched your posts, excuse me if I didn't find an explanation of how you modified the center of your frame. Several have wanted a Borg-Warner but opening the frame is usually the hold up. You seem to have been successful. Care to share how you did it?
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #16
Ol' Ron

I have two friends with modified Flatheads one in a 37 and the other in a 40. Both cars have Hyd brakes, however, they don't work well at high speed inter state driving and are converting to disk or later brakes. Work great around town, tho. Howard you hit the nail on the head, if we had to run stock stuff, Bubba would have to get a job.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #17
DD931

We seem to forget that these cars ran millions of miles just like Henry made them!!
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHFORD51 View Post
I'm building my 39 Ford sedan for a decent driving family ride. Nothing crazy-- warmed up flathead, tube shocks, anti-sway bars, and otherwise stock. Stock ride height but I want to run 6.50x16 tires on the wide five wheels. Question is will the chevy or mopar front disc conversions AND the requisite wide five adapter cause wheel/tire clearance issues with the front fenders and 6.50x16s? I could run the MT Products bendix backing plates with the factory drums, however, I like the thought of discs and auto zone calipers/pads. I have not had too great of success in the past with modern drum brake linings glazing over and failing to stop properly on lots of different old trucks, not to mention the surprise of pulling to one side or the other every time quick braking is required. Any advice out there?
From the mods you list, it sounds like you are building a "moonshine tanker" for street use. Disc brakes are a very good choice especially on all 4 if you can afford it. They will keep on stopping you when the discs are red hot.

As for those that would put down modified stock brakes for semi performance driving, it should be brought out that before there were disc brakes, modified stock brakes served very well in stock car racing and "tankers" especially with metallic linings.

The 6.50's should clear with the wide 5 adaptors at stock ride height.
Pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
42merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
We seem to forget that these cars ran millions of miles just like Henry made them!!
That was in a day that you would rarely exceed 50 MPH, no freeways & very little bumper to bumper traffic, plus most homes were heated with coal.
Times have changed and I don't want to be the one holding up traffic, or causing a problem because I can't stop in a safe distance.
I want to enjoy the car, in my driving style and not fret.
42merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
klicker

One more time.... You can skid the tires with stock brakes. It doesn't matter if you have ceramic rotors and 6 piston calipers, you won't stop any better.... the tires still skid.....
klicker is offline   Reply With Quote