Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #61
Bill

Default Re: Barn find 1940 ford conv. Value

When I first saw the pics I thought it was the 40 from the Lee Hartung auction. It went thru as lot #7530. Nov/11. There are lots of pics of that car for comparison. The selling price was $31050. The Hartung car might be a little better but it still needed lots of TLC and DORAYME. Check it out! That auction was held by Auction America.Bill.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #62
cplnorton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
When I first saw the pics I thought it was the 40 from the Lee Hartung auction. It went thru as lot #7530. Nov/11. There are lots of pics of that car for comparison. The selling price was $31050. The Hartung car might be a little better but it still needed lots of TLC and DORAYME. Check it out! That auction was held by Auction America.Bill.

I wonder how much they charge to run it thru their auctions, what maybe 10-15%? And I wonder if that is with the fees included or the buyer had to pay a buyer's premium afterwards? I've thought about waiting until the Auburn Cord Dusemberg show and running it thru the auction there. But I do know auctions can sometimes be a crapshoot.

I really think what I am asking for mine is a more than fair to be honest. I've had a couple offers from online and local people that are really close to my asking price and I think some have been offended I havent' taken their offer right away. But once it's gone it's gone.
cplnorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #63
robert hayward

keep it and enjoy it as it is....
robert hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #64
BrianCT

Yes , keep it and learn about old Ford as we all have.
It aint rocket science. But be prepared to spend at least 5K to get it on the road.
My 36 is far from perfect but lots of fun.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #65
Milt/Las Vegas

I bought a 40 conv.several years ago out of a barn for $25000,and could of sold it at a swapmeet for $35000 where I bought it before I took it home.It looked really solid until I got into it,and found major floor problems.So,I probably paid too much.The market was really strong then.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #66
Milt/Las Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
Yep, I think you are out of the loop with this present economy. Now, we are going to have to import corn to meet the EPA ethanol mandates. It is not my fault so do not get mad at us.

You never posted additional pictures as requested. I think that year of convertible is kind of ugly with the top up. I would rather have a 36 roadster.

If I had that car in my garage and it was half way decent, the car would not be for sale.
I disagree I think a 40 conv.other than woodys are the most valuable of the fatfendered cars 35-48,and I like them with the top up.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #67
Aquaroscoe

Repectfully, I think $20K is a little high but you may be able to find someone, I think $14K to $17K is the range based on the condition described. There are a lot of specialized parts on a conv't, so that will swing the numbers if they are there.
Aquaroscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #68
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaroscoe View Post
Repectfully, I think $20K is a little high but you may be able to find someone, I think $14K to $17K is the range based on the condition described. There are a lot of specialized parts on a conv't, so that will swing the numbers if they are there.
All this speculating without seeing the car in person is, as more than one have suggested, kind of useless.
$20k? Yeah, you may find a guy to go for that. However, the current market has rendered a car in this shape (a #4- to #5) the most difficult to sell. For the most part, guys buying this type of project were on the fence financally when the economy tanked. that meant lots of "project cars' put on the market and not as many guys looking to purchase. The old supply and demand thing at work. More cars, less buyers = lower realized prices.
The top cars have maintained their values best as there are fewer able to buy them and few true top cars. Again, little supply and few buyers keeps the prices up.
That '40 in the Hartung estate was a total POS. No floors, etc. Whoever paid that plus the 20% buyers premium was out of their mind.
Depending on how long you want to keep this car stored, I might suggest $12,500 or so.
The guys that suggested $5k... the parts are worth more than that.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #69
V12Bill

If you really need a '40 convertible, just go to Hemmings Motor News. There are several there this month ranging from $4,500 to $38,000. I have to assume that the $38,000 cars will start, steer and stop. The lesser cars need a little more TLC and doo ray me.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #70
raisinhel

sure would be A LOT of car when finished.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1940-Ford-Deluxe-Convertible-Coupe.jpg (30.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1940-ford-convertible-coupe-all-stock_2.jpg (61.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg DM12_r111_01.jpg (29.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08718.jpg (131.8 KB, 28 views)
raisinhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #71
raisinhel

top up is ok.
top down is how i prefer them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 rag.jpg (150.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 40_deluxe_cnvrtbl_1.jpg (30.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 40_Ford_Deluxe_ConvCpe-DV_06-GCPB_05.jpg (51.1 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #72
raisinhel

a dozen pics total.
they are nice to look at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 hammered.jpg (90.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 40 red con.jpg (74.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 40 red rag.jpg (169.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 40 red.jpg (82.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 40 tan rag.jpg (59.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #73
19Fordy

If only Henry had eliminated the "humpy-dumpy" look of the convertible top and chopped the windshield 2 inches the 40 Ford would look perfect with the top up. But, then again men and women wore hats in the 40's and 50's. However, it's undisputable that it's a beautifully designed automobile.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #74
Gumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
Keep bugging him. You never know he might come around once he sees how much it will cost to fix. If he is even going to try to fix it.
I agree with Bart contact him occasionally and be honest with him and tell him what your plans are for the car...I always like to get one back on the road and running if not too expensive...do to the car what he has wanted to do with it all these years but didn't have time for...if it's too far fetched let another fordbarner get a shot at the purchase...I'd all love to have one in the garage!!

Gump
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM   #75
paleot

My suggestion is to let the owner say what he wants for it then negotiate to a price you both can accept. If you make an offer it may be well above what he truly wants!
paleot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #76
Juergen

There is one for sale on Fordbarn with a new price of $10,500. It has pictures and a description of needed rebuild items.
Juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #77
joel

How can you be upside down in the car? You either like the car and want to own it or not. I'd go to 20k before thinking about it, but I don't intend to be buried with the money I made on 40 Fords.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #78
bart78

Most are not into cars to make money. But I all are not in it to loose their ass. For how much a restored one will run you would be better off than a 20,000 dollar gamble on this one.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:48 PM   #79
joel

I understand and I suppose it matters if you are providing the labor or doing it yourself; but buying a completed one and not knowing whats under the paint scares me more than overpaying for a good project. I also consider what $12000 or even 20 would buy. Maybe a mostly worn out 4x4 pickup that needs doors or bedsides.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #80
peewee2you

Kube, has it correct. Can't say or define it any better. It's not a good thing when the buyer is found on a website by it's seller, and then it's out there for the whole world to see, not good business in any case. The buyer is wanting to purchase the car at a price that he can restore and still have some value in the car, and the seller who really hasn't figured out if he want's to sell it, is hoping someone will step up now using this forum to give him some outrageous price that will force his hand to make the sale, because if he didn't he'd think to himself I must be crazy, I have to let it go. If I was going to truly restore it, I would have done it by now. After reading these post, he now's going to wash it polish it, and ask for more. I am not I wouldn't do the same thing possibly in this case, but that doesn't make it right.

I have said this before, those of us and you that purchase for the love of putting these automobiles back into shape and road worthy, know what time and money goes into them, this hobby isn't for the faint heart, I don't care if your doing by rattle can work etc, like I am. To rebuild or touch everything on the car wether or not your going for concourse or just a nice daily ride is going to run you some money, and the more professional you want to get about it the more money tons it cost, especially if your farming the work out. Were in the US and nobody works for cheap..

Seller figure out wether or not you truly want to sell the car, then give someone a fair price that he or she can work within, don't get greedy in the end it's murphy's law you got the money and the roof springs a leak, now no money, no car!!

Be fair and life will be fair. My two cents.
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote