Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
ronzmtrwrx

Default 39 conv top irons question

Does anyone know if the top irons on the 39 verts ever came from the factory chrome plated? Mine are and I was just curious if this was orig or a custom touch.
ronzmtrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: 39 conv top irons question

I have a '39 Ford Convertible Sedan and none of the top irons are chrome however, our '39 LZ convertible Club Coupe has several of the irons chrome plated and some painted.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Aquaroscoe

Not standard, but there is a company that makes them, Is is possible they came from there?

http://catalog.superiorcarpartsinc.c...oupe-top-irons?
Aquaroscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
ronzmtrwrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaroscoe View Post
Not standard, but there is a company that makes them, Is is possible they came from there?

http://catalog.superiorcarpartsinc.c...oupe-top-irons?
It is most likely an old plating job. This is on the 39 conv garage find that you have seen over on the hamb. I tried to fold the top frame back into the rear well the other day and couldn't get it to retract completely. I suspected that whoever hotrodded the car back in the fifties had the top apart to chrome the irons and didn't get the re assembly right. It gets back so far and gets in a bind. Guess I need some assembly drawings.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzmtrwrx View Post
Does anyone know if the top irons on the 39 verts ever came from the factory chrome plated? Mine are and I was just curious if this was orig or a custom touch.
The exposed top irons on the '39 Ford convertible coupe are painted. The front and rear wooden bows are covered in bow-drill material.Two photos attached that will hopefully help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6594.jpg (46.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6595.jpg (37.7 KB, 19 views)
Old 07-22-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
ronzmtrwrx

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
The exposed top irons on the '39 Ford convertible coupe are painted. The front and rear wooden bows are covered in bow-drill material.Two photos attached that will hopefully help...
Thanks for the pics. Every single piece of mine has been chromed. I believe the prior owner, (who passed in 93) may have disassembled the top and had all the pieces chromed, then reassembled it all. This car was parked in a garage in 61 and stayed there until I purchased it a little over a month ago. I can see by your second photo that I may have an issue with one of the brackets up near the top rail. This could be why I can't get the top to fold down properly. Is there a source for detailed drawings of the top assembly? I very much appreciate your help and may have to ask for some more detailed pics. Thanks again, Ron
Old 07-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzmtrwrx View Post
Thanks for the pics. Every single piece of mine has been chromed. I believe the prior owner, (who passed in 93) may have disassembled the top and had all the pieces chromed, then reassembled it all. This car was parked in a garage in 61 and stayed there until I purchased it a little over a month ago. I can see by your second photo that I may have an issue with one of the brackets up near the top rail. This could be why I can't get the top to fold down properly. Is there a source for detailed drawings of the top assembly? I very much appreciate your help and may have to ask for some more detailed pics. Thanks again, Ron
I am not aware of any detailed drawings of the '39 top assembly. they may, and probably exist, but I have never seen them.
I am about to replace the top in the photos, so if you need detailed pictures, let me know.