Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #21
hardtimes

Default Re: nu-rex ignition failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Hello,i am helping a friend on his A.It is having an intermitent no start issue.Has anyone got any experience with this system? I am not familiar with it but have a feeling I may have more than i want soon...thanks!
fordman,
I don't have a 'nu-rex' electronic system...but have some advice regarding such..for you/friends.
After checking out nu rex and pertronix systems, I found that I could install a pertronix 'module' in my stock model a dizzy ....in about an hour without ANY special tools and/or expertise.
Think about it, no boxes and wire bunches and nothing visable to upset purists and even more simplistic than FORD made and much more reliable!
For five years..pure joy in starting running. Bonus is that it runs as well at highest rpms as it does at idle ! NEVER a miss and it was cheap! Think about its' operation...NOTHING moves , but the cam. How much easier /reliable can it be made? Shirley you can not say that the original points/condensor,etc is as simple.
Now, we that use this simple marvelous system could keep it to ourselves...but that aint what we model a buds are about,eh. So, let your 'friend' in on the secret. Yours is not the first question re nu rex problems, and to each his own. But, I've not heard any pertronix module problem questions, These simple / reliable units only need a good ground to work well.
BTW..being a restless soul, like a lot here, I'll soon keep my pertronix dizzy as a 'spare', when I install the electronic Mallory dizzy with auto advance .
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Dave in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Loose connections are what i would look for first.

http://www.nurex.com/archive.asp
Mike is right with the electronic units. Look for corroded or loose ground connection(s) for the electronic module. I have worked on three electronic systems. All had the same problem.
Good Luck!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #23
glyn

Ah, butn i'm looking for the answer to the first question...
Does nurex work?
glyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #24
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Nu-rex sells a gyro type spark advance based on the Phillips automatic spark control from the 30's..yes it works better than manual advance.Full electronic ignition from pertronix or FSI works well too,provided you wire it correctly..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #25
redmodelt

Person asking the question would be better served by starting a new posting. The one he is tagging on is 9 years old and the Nurex talked about then (note they were talking about the control box mounted on firewall) may not have any bearing on what can be bought today. Considering the number of post in this string that gave THAT unit a + or - I think the question was answered about as well as could be and as I said may be a different setup then sold today.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #26
rotorwrench

I remember when Ford came out with their 2nd generation all electronic ignition back in the 70s. They were problematic but that was a lot of water under the bridge now. Things are about as reliable as they get with the auto manufacturers in the modern era.

Add on and aftermarket systems can be reliable but they may be in a more hostile environment (hot) than the electronics can take over a long period of time. For around town driving with short distances, reliability will likely be OK. Long distance travel is another story.

I've always erred on the side of caution. I would take extra ignition parts with me whether it was stock ignition or electronic if I went on a long trip. Finding replacement parts in some little town America location could be an impossibility.

Folks should not be afraid to start a new thread. Bringing up very old threads can be confusing to others.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #27
rocket1

I do not believe in all these so called modern updates,if i'm out with the A and see you on the side of the road with trouble from some sort of conversion I can't help you hopefully you have towing!
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #28
Don S

I have a Nurex electronic set that I removed from my car ,that has a spare new module with it. It has the module that is fastened to the inside of the firewall using the existing coil bolts. If you are interested in this set up pm me.I had no problems with it but swapped it out to original points for a long tour. Didn't want to get stuck away from home, with nobody knowing how to repair if needed.
Don
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 01:36 PM   #29
CarlG

I had an original NuRex system on my shelf for several years, never installed, eventually sold it to someone that wanted one for a spare.

Later, I obtained a FSI unit along with a newly rebuilt engine. Ran it for 5K miles and it failed. Back to an original Model A distributor.

Couldn't be happier with the original set up.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #30
Don S

I also tried the FSI ignition package , but the automatic advance was way too much for my Brumfield 5.9 head . Only needed 18 deg advance , max not 35.
Don
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote