Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Amazing Stupidity

Many people out there are just plain dumb, I take my Model A out for a ride on the road at normal speed, and all of a sudden, this Jack___s drives around me into the opposite oncoming lane, just because he sees a Model A in front of him, maybe he thinks he visioned a horse and buggy. As I proceed to a red light on that same road, guess who was in front of me, that same Jack_ _ _s and on his phone. I guess he really thought he was way ahead of me.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #2
MikeK

Default Re: Amazing Stupidity

Makes sense to me. I always fly 1st class because I get there before the people in the cheap seats in back.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:13 PM   #3
daveymc29

I had a lady pass me and then cut right back in front of me and stop dead in the lane. Guess how far my A knocked her SUV, and it was worth the bumper bracket I had to by for my car. I don't think she did that out of stupidity, I think she did it to make a claim on my insurance, which she did of course.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
I had a lady pass me and then cut right back in front of me and stop dead in the lane. Guess how far my A knocked her SUV, and it was worth the bumper bracket I had to by for my car. I don't think she did that out of stupidity, I think she did it to make a claim on my insurance, which she did of course.
Its a well known fact that many do that just to make a living out of lawsuits, that's why I stay more then two car lengths behind the car in front of me.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #5
RawhideKid
BANNED

Precisely the reason I do NOT drive faster than I can safely stop. The idiots we have around here are anything but polite when it comes to cutting you off.

And when I am cut off, I automatically reduce my speed, either by lifting my foot off the gas, or using the brakes in anticipation of the idiot stopping or slowing enough to turn so I won't meet them, and I don't care what the idiot behind me thinks.
RawhideKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Had the same thing happen to me 18 years ago. My Caravan only bent the aluminum ladder leading to their roof rack on a full sized van. They sued for $25,000 claiming whiplash.

Had some jerk cut short in front of me and spit up a stone on a just resurfaced road, and of course it broke my windshield.

As far as idiots passing to be in front at the next light, that is very much the norm anymore around here. Everyone's in a rush to get nowhere. I think people that change lanes more than twice per mile should get a ticket for aggressive driving. It'll never happen because they don't even get tickets for speeding, distracted driving, loud exhaust, loud radios, and tailgating.

I mentioned this before, but the worst distracted driver I saw was a woman at a stop light. She had a book propped in her steering wheel, a cigarette in one hand, a cell phone in the other, and was eating a hamburger. All you can do is try to stay clear of the idiots, but as soon as you drop back a safe distance some jerk cuts right in front of you again. That's another reason I like to ride the bike and stay on bike paths when possible.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #7
jrelliott

We live in the mountains of Arizona, and we get the Flatlanders up here on the weekend. The road between Payson and Pine has a posted speed limit of 55 mph. There is a four lane section at the Natural Bridge. The Flat landers will go about 45 mph or less in good weather which is most of the time and brake at every curve in anticipation of the vehicle going to jump off the road. When they get to the four lane section will speed up to over 65 mph to not allow you to pass. Send all the Flat landers back home and stay there.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:33 PM   #8
dpson

I see you use the term "flatlander" too. We use it here for the jerks from south of us that apparently have never driven in the mountains. 70 mph on the straight-a-ways and 30 mph in the curves. You can never get by them. And, of course, they've never heard of snow tires.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:55 PM   #9
richsfords

remember also that those who fly first class are the first to die when the crashes.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:46 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Antique, modern, makes no difference. Jerks are jerks.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #11
Growley bear

It has been my experience on the Oregon coast that people pass the Model A because they want to see the rest of the car.
When driving on a well travelled highway I will pull over in a safe place to allow faster traffic to pass. One time there were six modern cars following and I pulled over and five passed, waving, honking, and giving the thumbs up. The other, a Ford Explorer kept following. When I found a good spot to pull over with lots of room, the Explorer followed. A lady with a camera got out and asked if she could take pictures. My wife and I met two very nice people, lots of pictures were taken, and everyone had a very nice day. The Model A brings to light fond but long forgotten memories to many people.
Growley bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #12
Kevin in NJ

A camera in the car is your best defense.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #13
JDupuis

Reminds me of my signature line. . Jeff
Old 05-19-2017, 11:41 AM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

Speaking of doing dumb things, about 7 years ago I went to swat a mosquito and drifted to the right a little. I hit a mailbox with my right side mirror and knocked it off. This was a few blocks from home on a 30 MPH road, so think what might have happened at 60 MPH. I most likely would have drifted further to the right and smashed my windshield.
BTW, I found out an electric mirror works fine as a replacement mirror for a 1999 Olds with a manual mirror.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #15
nhusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsfords View Post
remember also that those who fly first class are the first to die when the crashes.
But they die happy because of the free booze.
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
Ed H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsfords View Post
That is why I always sit behind the wing.

United States Navy
Ed H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 PM   #17
nhusa

Behind the wing guarantees a fuel bath and the ability to become a crispy critter
nhusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #18
Special Coupe Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Antique, modern, makes no difference. Jerks are jerks.
Amen to that !
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #19
LeRoiGross

If you mount a Diesel train horn under the hood, you will find it is much more effective than an ohooga when you need to wake someone up.
LeRoiGross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #20
Shortdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Many people out there are just plain dumb, I take my Model A out for a ride on the road at normal speed, and all of a sudden, this Jack___s drives around me into the opposite oncoming lane, just because he sees a Model A in front of him, maybe he thinks he visioned a horse and buggy. As I proceed to a red light on that same road, guess who was in front of me, that same Jack_ _ _s and on his phone. I guess he really thought he was way ahead of me.
That is the everyday driver here in Louisiana. The idiots here will do the same thing and it doesn't make any difference what I am driving. The idiots is why I put turn signals on my model A. When I put my arm out, to make a turn, the idiots would wave back and most didn't hold up all their fingers.

Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Shortdog is offline   Reply With Quote