Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-10-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
bullrunmotor

Default Shock id help for my 56 ford fairlane

Wanting to replace FRONT shocks on my 56 4 dr. All suppliers want to sell me shocks that have threaded shafts on BOTH ends. My old shocks clearly used a threaded shaft at top BUT have a round collar/barrel in which a sleeve slides through allowing 2 bolts to anchor down the bottom of the shock, Does anyone have a reference number for these shocks? I worked with a NAPA guy today who showed me all in their application and all have 2 threaded shaft ends. I think in 57 the arrangements used the round collar/barrel arrangement at the bottom. Thanks in advance.
bullrunmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: Shock id help for my 56 ford fairlane

The original 55/56 Ford car front shocks DID have threaded shafts at top and bottom. Fomoco had a two-hole mount bracket for the bottom A-frame suspension arm, requiring another set of rubber bushings, washers and nut.
Several decades ago, some of the shock vendors started selling a replacement shock that had a short piece of pipe welded to the bottom of the shock rather than have the threaded stud. There was a rubber bushing and a thick round bar with flattened ends with holes at the ends for mounting to the A-frame.
I don't think anybody sells that type of shock anymore for the 55/56 applications, but if you can't get them from a chain auto parts store, you will need to buy the OEM type with the top and bottom studs and get the original Fomoco brackets that mount on the bottom of the A-frames someplace.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
orangedog

I just replaced front and rear on my 54 customline, my fronts are as you described. I got mine from NAPA. I had the same issue the fronts showed studs on both ends. Then the parts guy looked at the mainline front, it was just what I needed. I had to buy the fronts for the mainline and rears for the customline to get the NAPA line shock. A big improvement in my ride, my fronts were completely gone, no recoil at all.
orangedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
The original 55/56 Ford car front shocks DID have threaded shafts at top and bottom. Fomoco had a two-hole mount bracket for the bottom A-frame suspension arm, requiring another set of rubber bushings, washers and nut.
Several decades ago, some of the shock vendors started selling a replacement shock that had a short piece of pipe welded to the bottom of the shock rather than have the threaded stud. There was a rubber bushing and a thick round bar with flattened ends with holes at the ends for mounting to the A-frame.
I don't think anybody sells that type of shock anymore for the 55/56 applications, but if you can't get them from a chain auto parts store, you will need to buy the OEM type with the top and bottom studs and get the original Fomoco brackets that mount on the bottom of the A-frames someplace.
The shock lower bracket might look like this one???
You should be able to find them at a better price than this...

https://www.classictbird.com/Bracket...uctinfo/18072/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18072, lower shock mount.jpg (65.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Suspension-Front.jpg (21.4 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 07-10-2020 at 05:53 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Daves55Sedan

dmsfrr, yes that is the correct original Fomoco bracket for the front shocks. Some of the resto parts suppliers used to offer it new, but I haven't seen it in their catalogs lately so I guess it has been discontinued for now.
If you go with the OEM style shocks with the threaded stud on the bottom, you will absolutely need those original style brackets for the shock bottom mount.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
dmsfrr, yes that is the correct original Fomoco bracket for the front shocks. Some of the resto parts suppliers used to offer it new, but I haven't seen it in their catalogs lately so I guess it has been discontinued for now.
The lower shock mount photo and classictbird(dot)com link to it in post 4 is a good current link. Just pricey.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote