Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Woodie and huckster color

All the woodies and hucksters I have seen in person or pictured have natural finished wood. That has been my plan also, but have come to see these cars as a big M&M leading a piece of fine cabinetry. I am considering staining my huckster a subdued brown/gray/blue/OD with appropriate color to match or contrast on the sheet metal. Has anyone seen such a combination, and am I risking the ultimate faux pas?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Woodie and huckster color

you are only risking the ultimate faux pas if you dont like it. do as you wish. it is yours.

there was a discussion in the past using black or wash blue for example on a woody. I actually would prefer that, as I like the contrast to the wood. again, just my opinion.
the actual woody tan to me, is not great looking at all- surprisingly when ford had so many great colors. We are speaking of painting the tin of course.......
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 06:32 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Today's Hucksters are the perfect example where hobbyists are (-or have been) altering history to make them like they wish they were back then. Body manufacturers such as Kentucky Body Works and others never varnished a work vehicle body to look like furniture. Most were likely supplied in raw wood or finished in a cheap varnish paint color. Again, most non-commercially manufactured Hucksters would have been built by a Blacksmith or behind a farmer's barn. The late Ron Rude's Delivery body (-pictured below) was an original that was built by Kentucky body works in 1927. It was painted a 1928 Ford color. So the bottom line to your question is, build it as you wish because you really aren't 'restoring' to something that was actually from that era. And sometimes that is a good thing..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5053.jpg (84.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5054.jpg (85.0 KB, 24 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 08:07 AM   #4
Russell Reay

Thanks for the feedback. Now I need to find a Minwax stain and Ford color combination that 'speaks to me'.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote