Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #21
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Sun transmitter batteries

I thought Tubman worked out something like this and was selling them?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #22
tubman

I had two things going on in this area. The first is a device that enables one to run any commercially available 12 volt negative ground tachometer in a 6 volt positive ground car. The first dozen or so sold quickly, but then demand just disappeared. It seems folks just didn't want to pay the price ($150).

For the second, we took a non-working Sun "Football" tachometer with a corroded control box, removed the internal workings, and replaced them with the circuitry required to run the Sun tach. This was also for 6 volts positive ground. It worked fine and I ran it in my '51 for a while. (I removed it to run a smaller tachometer head that was not so intrusive.) This also went nowhere, because it requires a non-working Sun setup and is quite labor intensive, as each job is a custom build.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-25-2021, 07:27 PM   #23
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had two things going on in this area. The first is a device that enables one to run any commercially available 12 volt negative ground tachometer in a 6 volt positive ground car. The first dozen or so sold quickly, but then demand just disappeared. It seems folks just didn't want to pay the price ($150).

For the second, we took a non-working Sun "Football" tachometer with a corroded control box, removed the internal workings, and replaced them with the circuitry required to run the Sun tach. This was also for 6 volts positive ground. It worked fine and I ran it in my '51 for a while. (I removed it to run a smaller tachometer head that was not so intrusive.) This also went nowhere, because it requires a non-working Sun setup and is quite labor intensive, as each job is a custom build.
I found out the same thing about electronic "gizmos" many moons ago.
People would like to have them but not at realistic prices.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:01 PM   #24
tubman

Pete, - Now you tell me!

I'm busy enough making condensers that I'm almost glad they went nowhere.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:27 PM   #25
Pete

When the class D citizen band came into existance, there were no commercially available FCC type approved radios to operate on it.
Another guy and I built a prototype, got it approved, made 10 units, advertised them and tried to sell them at 10% profit. We eventually sold them but it took 4 months and by then everybody and his brother was selling cheapo chink made ones.
As consolation though, we couild say we had the first 2 class D licenses issued.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote