Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #21
Fordors

Default Re: McDonnell-Douglas Ford fenders question

Here is the photo from the V8 Club '32 Resto Guide-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0187.jpg (55.2 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-18-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
DavidG

As requested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image Expert Photos 618.jpg (48.3 KB, 116 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:50 PM   #23
DavidG

The other anomaly that I've noticed on several of my recent restorations which is confirmed by the "Ford News" photo is that the V8 emblem on the head lamp bar does not line up exactly in the center of the grill, but is rather off to the left (when facing the cars) by about an one eighth of an inch. While one or two examples might be evidence of something bent in the way of fenders, fender brackets, head lamp bar, etc., five of them in a row without exception is a bit beyond coincidence when reinforced by this photo.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As requested.
Daaammmm.........those two fenders ain't even close! Thank you guys for the pic! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #25
Fordors

Measurements on a V8 head lamp bar from the underside of a h/l bolt hole to the lower fender bracket hole show 6 1/16" on both sides, using a tape measure. Checking from the edge of the h/l mount chamfer to the edge of the emblem hole show 1/16" variation, or stated another way the hole is off 1/32". As David has suggested I wonder if the error might be in the fender brackets? Then again, it could be as simple as tolerance stack-up. Think back to just a short while ago when foreign manufacturers showed US builders how to do fit and finish properly.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:02 PM   #26
deucevikki

ttt
deucevikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #27
Carl

....from here and looking at the pics of the front of the fenders, it appears to me that the LF is a narrow flange and the RF is a wide flange. I believe those would be two different stampings. I don't believe that would affect the different front curvatures though. Whats your input David G?
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:10 PM   #28
DavidG

I have not noticed a difference in the curvatures across the fronts of the late narrow flange fenders compared to the earlier wide flange fenders. A lot of original '32s are/were equipped one narrow flange fender and one wide flange fender with the left side most often to be the narrow version in that combination as perhaps that coupe on the magazine has.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:35 PM   #29
Krylon32

I used a pair of Funk fenders many years ago on a 32 pickup project and they required quite a bit of work for a good fit. Then I switched to Brookvilles when they started to make their own. I used them on my 3 window, delivery and 5 window. They required some massaging at the outside running board corner and where they bolt to the frame. We also reworked the eyebrow on I can't remember which fender to match the other as the difference when looking from the front was quite evident. I was lucky to have owned a few pairs of nice original fronts which I used in the 70's and 80's
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:31 PM   #30
Carl

David, you answered a couple of fender questions in your response. I wondered if new 32s off the line were equipped with mix matched fenders. So, if my car had one of each type fender and was judged in a V8 club meet, it would not be a deduction, right? (My Phaeton has a pair of NOS narrow flange fenders). I heard that the late narrow fenders were designed to allow more clearance on left side for the horn, right? I'm not trying to run this fender issue into the ground, its just interesting info to me. It illustrates just one of the many variances there were(are) in 32 cars and parts, thanks.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:58 AM   #31
Steve/IL

While I haven't build as many all steel 32s as Gary (Krylon32). I have build three all steel 32s with original frames and other one with Gary's frame, all with either original narrow or wide front fenders. None of the front fenders fit at the side of the frame rails and some were not square with the running boards. It is not surprising that reproduction front fenders do not fit the side of the frame and/or the running boards. Making most anything fit as it should on either a restoration or a Hot Rod is just part of the process. The pickier you are, the more work to get it right!
Old 02-08-2023, 07:36 PM   #32
DavidG

Carl,

V8 Club judges should not deduct for mixed flange width front fenders. If they do, they err.

The left side narrow flange front fender actually reduces the amount of space between the fend and the radiator shell so it has the opposite effect in terms of space for the vibrator horn, but with the correct horn bracket there is still enough room.

In my experience, you cannot use a motor-driven horn with a narrow flange left front fender without the horn touching the near vertical adjacent portion of the front fender. In order to make that type of horn fit, it has to be at an angle, rather than straight, front to back. And doing so, the tab on the bottom of the horn bracket must be eliminated or the hole for the tab relocated.