Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Shut Off Switch Question

My 8BA uses fuel pump oil pressure shut off switch so that the fuel pump will stop pumping gas when the oil pressure drops below a certain level, like in an accident. I can turn the fuel pump on and off with a separate toggle switch under the dash.

For the last 6 months my engine will start and idle fine and will rev up fine without hesitation when in neutral. However, when you drive about 1/4 mile the engine will sound and feel like it's starving for gas and shut off. If I wait about 20 min engine will restart using starting fluid but then stall out again after moving a short distance.

I can see that plenty of gas is getting to the carb from the electric pump. Carb is a Holley 390 that has run fine for several years.

I have a gut feeling that the problem may be that the fuel pump oil pressure shut off switch may be malfunctioning internally causing the fuel pump to shut down since they are both wired together.
IS THIS A POSSIBILITY?

Please explain to me how this fuel pump oil pressure shut off switch works internally to help me figure this out.I have rebuilt the carb and you can see gas squirt out of the jets when you give it gas at idle. Engine revs up fine but dies once underway.

The photo below shows both the oil pressure sending unit and the fuel pump oil pressure shut off switch. Both units are installed in a horizontal position.

Fordbarner help is appreciated as this is driving me nuts.I even replaced the ignition system thinking that might be the problem. No fun when you can't drive your car down the road. Thanks. JIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5778b.jpg (56.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5722b.jpg (83.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-17-2020 at 10:36 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote