Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
47fordguy

Default 1936 Ford Telephone Truck

Evening everyone, I'd thought I share some before and after photos of my grandfather's 1936 Ford Telephone Truck in memory of his recent passing. Many of you know him as Bob or user Teltruck. He was very proud of this truck as it was his father's and it is fully stocked. It is one of five phone trucks he owned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0777.jpg (57.6 KB, 1075 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0776.jpg (51.7 KB, 1058 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9358.jpg (44.6 KB, 316 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0538.jpg (53.3 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0539.jpg (58.4 KB, 1095 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0778.jpg (72.2 KB, 1047 views)
47fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: 1936 Ford Telephone Truck

Thank you for sharing, and sorry for your loss. I remember seeing those in use back in the day, and always loved the color and the Ma Bell on the side!
Old 11-15-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47fordkid View Post
Evening everyone, I'd thought I share some before and after photos of my grandfather's 1936 Ford Telephone Truck in memory of his recent passing. Many of you know him as Bob or user Teltruck. He was very proud of this truck as it was his father's and it is fully stocked. It is one of five phone trucks he owned.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #4
47topless

Your grandpa looks like a cool guy.
Your post reminds me of the "party Line" that we were on as a kid, living in the country. When you would make a call, no matter how "careful" the others on the party line would be, you could hear several join you to listen in on your conversation. Seems very harmless now but was very annoying back then.

Last edited by 47topless; 11-15-2022 at 10:17 PM.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 04:54 AM   #5
flatford8

Sorry for your loss.....your grandfather had a great looking truck!.....always nice to see one of the “specialty” trucks saved !!...........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I'm sorry for your loss. Sincerest sympathies.

Neat truck, please keep it in the family. Looks pretty solid, good '35 or '36 Ford pickups, in stock condition, aren't that easy to find. Your grandfather would be proud for you guys to carry on with it
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
sugarmaker

Our condolences, His truck are awesome. Hope you can continue to enjoy them too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:48 PM   #8
ssffnomad

Great Family Story .
Great Pictures.
Party Line - yep . Remember
So looking at Passenger side pic , on the Trailer.
Does the Axle location to Fender look correct ?
Maybe they used aftermarket work bodies , not specific to Wheelbase ?
Stretch
ssffnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:25 PM   #9
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssffnomad View Post
Great Family Story .
Great Pictures.
Stretch

I don't see what you described, but I believe that phone trucks were delivered minus the bed, and a specialty bed was installed.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:53 PM   #10
cas3

Had a party line here when I bought the place in 77. 4 of us on the line, and yup, the old bag down the road would listen in !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #11
A bones

Quote:
Great Family Story .
Great Pictures.
Stretch
Seems to me,,, tell me I'm wrong,,, The cause of your question may be that Dad's legs are covering up the second tire.
They run a pair in tandem, each side

Sure us a Pretty truck.
Dad knew what he was doing

Last edited by A bones; 11-16-2022 at 10:32 PM.
A bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:27 AM   #12
GB SISSON

I had a conversation with your grandpa, can't remember if it was on the phone or private message here on the Barn. Your grandpa worked for the phone company in New Bedford Mass and remembered my uncle Clifford Tripp who also worked there. Clifford lived in Mattapoisett, where my dad was from and my mom was from New Bedford. I recalled my uncle describing the huge roof trusses in the main shop building and how the square nuts and bolt heads were all aligned square to the world. He described this attention to detail as 'Iron Worker's Dress'. Your grandpa remembered this. Sorry to hear we lost another great ol Ford guy, but am encouraged that you have signed up here. We can keep Gramp's truck running by helping you with repairs or adjustments as needed. Oh, we also had a 4 party line until 1981 when one of the listeners (click) turned me into the phone company for running a business on a residential line. Beautiful truck and welcome aboard. GB
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 12:35 AM   #13
Newc

There is another one nr Portland, Or with the correct trailer. Needing restoration. Owned by a Early V8er tho. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:27 PM   #14
47fordguy

Quote:
Great Family Story .
Great Pictures.
Stretch
I see what you mean. Looking at another I photo I have of the driver's side of the truck on the trailer, the back fender looks normal to the tire. I think the back fender on the passenger's side was replaced at some point.
The back fenders on the truck now are different then the originals, as the originals would've been cut rather flush with the bottom of the bottom of the phone bed instead of the longer, rounder end that the fenders have on the regular trucks.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:35 PM   #15
47fordguy

Great to hear everyone, he loved the company and the people he worked with. Next project is to get the truck going again and the '47 Ford Super Deluxe Convertible that he left to me. Thank you.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:36 AM   #16
Bob36

hello, im new to the Barn, very nice truck, condolences on your grandfather. i can appreciate his work on the 36 truck. Ive a 1936 telephone truck as well, been in work for 45 years, or i should say has been in the garage for that long.
Bob36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:13 PM   #17
Flathead Fever

Neat phone truck. I was a phone company mechanic for 30-years so I can relate to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09142 copy.jpg (48.3 KB, 449 views)
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #18
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
Neat phone truck. I was a phone company mechanic for 30-years so I can relate to it.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:02 PM   #19
Flathead Fever

Hey Pete, I wish I had your god like powers to enlarge photos. That garage was built in 1950, in San Bernardino, CA. There were still few flathead tools there when I arrived fresh out of high school in 1980. It started off as Cal Water and Telephone with green trucks, Then General telephone (GTE) with mustard and white painted trucks, then silver trucks ,then all white trucks, then it switched to Verizon and now its Frontier. I will never be able to buy a silver or white vehicle again it would cause PTSD. That Weaver twin post hoist would lift 36,000 lbs. The trucks would sway back and forth when they reach the top. You sign a document every year, drop a truck lose your job. The San Andreas earthquake fault is right there. We used to joke about should we runout of that old brick building or grab the hoist cylinder. The trucks can't fall straight down. You had to have a smog license because we did the state inspections in-house. Another document you signed, let your smog license expire and lose your job in 60-days. I had 17 ASE licenses, Smog License, Class A truck license with a hazmat endorsement. all of that for the whopping sum of $32.00 an hour by the time I retired. That shop had six bays with five hoists. When I arrived, it had around 400 vehicles, a supervisor, five mechanics and four helpers. They kept downsizing until each supervisor had ten garages, the helpers were all let go. My last two years' I ended up in a three-bay garage in Hemet, CA with 157 vehicles working by myself at night. No time to goof off like in the early years. Nobody to prank at night. We had a lot of fun in the early years. Most of us ended up with blown-out shoulders from working overhead so much. I've had three shoulder surgeries and now I get lidocaine injections in the left one every few months. Two back surgeries, they fused my lower vertebrates, the discs were gone, and it was bone on bone. The only thing I will bend over for is if I drop my daily hydrocodone. My fingers are starting to curve like a roller coaster at Six Flags. Working on all that stuff beat the crap out of me. We used to jump off the sides of those bins on those boom trucks rather than walk to the back. Lift that entire booms off with forklifts to replace rotation bearings. It takes everything you have to stand one of those wheels and tires up. My toes are mangled from steel toe boots for 30-years. France just raised the retirement age to 70 and I was thinking, not all jobs are created equal, I was worn-out at 50.
Flathead Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 07:51 AM   #20
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
Hey Pete, I wish I had your god like powers to enlarge photos. That garage was built in 1950, in San Bernardino, CA. There were still few flathead tools there when I arrived fresh out of high school in 1980. It started off as Cal Water and Telephone with green trucks, Then General telephone (GTE) with mustard and white painted trucks, then silver trucks ,then all white trucks, then it switched to Verizon and now its Frontier. I will never be able to buy a silver or white vehicle again it would cause PTSD. . I've had three shoulder surgeries and now I get lidocaine injections in the left one every few months. Two back surgeries, they fused my lower vertebrates, the discs were gone, and it was bone on bone. The only thing I will bend over for is if I drop my daily hydrocodone. My fingers are starting to curve like a roller coaster at Six Flags. Working on all that stuff beat the crap out of me. We used to jump off the sides of those bins on those boom trucks rather than walk to the back. Lift that entire booms off with forklifts to replace rotation bearings. It takes everything you have to stand one of those wheels and tires up. My toes are mangled from steel toe boots for 30-years. France just raised the retirement age to 70 and I was thinking, not all jobs are created equal, I was worn-out at 50.
Thanks F F, You make me feel good about my physical state.
I did not think any one could