Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2024, 03:15 PM   #1
Randy1944

Default Top shift transmission.

I got great advice earlier and would like to get more opinions. I have bought the Van Pelt book on these transmissions. I have a stock 39 pickup with a top shift transmission that pops out of gear on occasion. I have bought what appears to be a late forties top shift transmission that is in pieces. The cluster gear has a broken tooth. I have decided to rebuild this transmission into a unit that I can use as a backup for my 39 pickup, that has a closed drive shaft. I have found that I need to find a Main Shaft Bearing Retainer #78-7085 B. Then I need to replace the Main Output Shaft #7061, to convert this transmission into one that will work on my closed drive shaft. Then I will need another Main Cluster Gear to replace damaged one. Am I better with used parts or new parts? I expect to buy new bearings and other worn items but am concerned with the meshing of new and old parts. Thanks for advice and especially help with sources for used parts if I go that way.
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 03:22 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Top shift transmission.

Van Pelt will have the parts you will need.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
rockfla

BobC X2
Mac VanPelt is "THE" man, get your parts from him!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:11 PM   #4
Seth Swoboda

You are using a 4 speed open drive transmission? When you say late 1940's, top load transmission, I can only think of a 4 speed truck transmission. These transmissions are not useful for your application.

Also, why build a spare transmission? Just curious. Why not just repair the '39 transmission that you have? It will give you years of good service.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 04:15 PM   #5
Randy1944

I may have mis spoke. The spare is a three speed just like the ones in a 1948 pickup.
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 05:08 PM   #6
cas3

open drive 1/2 ton 3 speeds started in 42 I believe.
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:29 PM   #7
rotorwrench

That cluster gear was around for a long time. The 1936 up type has a different locator set up on the back for the thrust bearing than the later ones used up into the early 50s on Mercury cars and pickups. They have little flanges that stick out to keep the thrust bearing turning with the cluster gear. Both are interchangeable but a person has to have the thrust bearing to fit the cluster they have. Mac VP sometimes has good used ones but it sure wouldn't hurt to have a new one. Mac has the proper replacement snap rings too. It's a must to get his snap rings and his thrust washer set up. Also make sure that the second gear bushing is a good fit to the main shaft and that the two parts properly work together. There were several types.

Pickup transmissions were basically unchanged from 1939 though 1950. The gears changed in 1951 for all the light duty 3-speeds. By 1951, all the cars had the 259 series light duty types with the small input and the long output. Pickups kept the light duty up into 1952 but the gears were all different.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-21-2024 at 06:23 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 09:26 PM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post
You are using a 4 speed open drive transmission? When you say late 1940's, top load transmission, I can only think of a 4 speed truck transmission. These transmissions are not useful for your application.

Also, why build a spare transmission? Just curious. Why not just repair the '39 transmission that you have? It will give you years of good service.
Seth,

As others mentioned, the top loader, "light-duty" open drive three speeds were used in a lot of 1/2 ton trucks starting in '42.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote