Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2021, 09:26 PM   #1
700rpm

Default A question for old guys

For my friends also in their "golden years:” How are you coping with the aging process vis-a-vis working on your A? Personally, with arthritis and a sensitive back, I am increasingly reluctant to get under the cars for even something as elemental as checking the fluid level in the trans or doing a full chassis lube job. Major mechanics I would have tackled even just ten years ago, at the tender age of 65, now seem beyond my realistic capabilites. Pull an engine? A tranny? Nope. A rear end? Yikes!

I don’t have any grandchildren, inlaws, or step children who can help. My long-time go-to shop has essentially closed down for Covid, but at his age, maybe forever. My former club is populated by a similar aged group, and is not an option.

I wouldn’t trust any local auto repair shops (they all think my ‘91 VW is an antique auto and refuse to work on it. I sure wouldn’t trust my A to any of them!)
I’ll be 76 in 3 months, and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to accomplish the basic maintenance on my A’s that I’ve been doing for the last 50 years.

How about you? If your age is presenting similar problems, what are you doing, or what is your plan?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default Re: A question for old guys

Wait until you get to 85. Getting down and up is a days work. My problem is that I can’t stand for a long time. Our club does a safety check each year and we grease the cars and change oil for some of the older guys. We are planning a tour to a lube shop of some kind and have all the cars serviced. We do have a few younger members that we lean on pretty good.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
McMimmcs

A friend of mine is in a similar situation to you and I. He recruited a middle aged, model A knowledgeable gentleman to do his maintenance. In return he allows his new friend to enjoy the A on an occasional basis. I am the same age as you and due to lack of mobility I have located a qualified A mechanic and pay him to perform required maintenance. You are certainly right about COVID-19 considerations.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:06 PM   #4
Mister Moose

I'm not there yet, but I think keeping moving is a huge ingredient. I am way more active than many of my peers. When that isn't effective any longer, I'd look for a lift and shop that would be DIY or helper friendly. Or find a well established customer centric shop and see if they'd be willing to let you supervise and educate them... they get the return business every 500 miles.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
Russ/40

I'm 74 and although it hurts sometimes, I just try to work smarter to compensate. Things like a good neck pillow when under the car. Working at a slower pace, and a prophylactic dose of ibuprofen beforehand does help. Overall i'm very fortunate as to how well i can move. I'm more carefull now, keeping in mind I do not want to have to stop doing the work. I go stir crazy when I can't work. I made the mistake of overdoing things when I was restoring my truck, and I had to quit for a year with rotator cuff issues. Don't want to go there again. He doesn't know it yet, but my son in law will take over when I just can't. Remember, what they say; use it or lose it.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:35 PM   #6
Anteek29

I am 79 and still physically able to do any activity on my vehicles, thank God.
Perhaps I'll sell off the rolling stock as I progressively become impaired and the thrills are gone?
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:51 PM   #7
Mike Peters

I just turned 73. The bride calls that "young old". Can still work on the cars. Still farm. Last summer i asked a 75 year old neighbor why he's still farming. Without missing a beat, he said, "Because I can". I have macro degeneration in one eye., so I can only see out of one eye. Messes up depth perception. Everyone has a glitch of some kind, but we all carry on. Every day is a blessing.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:58 PM   #8
kawagumby

Do like I do...and just get it done without a care. I'm 73 and just built an addition to my shop just so I could have a place to store a model A. No problemo,, just as I was pouring the driveway, my heart went into V-tachy...had to be hit with the paddles while my grandkids watched in horror...that was fun. Then I had three stents placed in my heart the next day...and the drugs for that procedure and heart maintenance caused painful arthritis in my hands, my right thumb is no longer usable. No problemo. Now for some reason, my blood pressure is exploding...no problemo....ah, the golden years....all in the last four months!

I do plan things ahead and work slower, because I have to now. I'm a guy who has to keep busy also, but it hurts a lot more, for sure. I no longer regret spending money on whatever I think I might need cause this is it!

My model A has been a great diversion and I found I could still pull the engine and refit it by myself without too much fuss...but folks, I've gotten slower than honey in the winter time.
kawagumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #9
1930artdeco

I am old compared to some people in the antique auto world but not as old as 99% of my club. It scares me to think this when I get to be that age. I love tinkering and it lets me burn off stress. I wonder what it will be like when I turn 75/80?

Mike
Old 02-03-2021, 02:33 AM   #10
PotvinV8

At 40, I admire all of you guys that are still up and doing things at 70+. Gives us "young" guys some hope! Good for you!!!
PotvinV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:45 AM   #11
Richard in Anaheim CA

At 84 I get down and under. It's the getting up that is the problem.
I've found younger guys in the club are very helpful if you let them
you would like some help. They actually think they can learn something from us.

My wife Jeanne and I will be married 61 years on Jun 4th. She is having a hard time recovering from her 3rd stroke. Your prayers would be appreciated. They work better than the pills.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:37 AM   #12
SAJ

700 RPM. I understand your problem. I too am 76. I was very active until about 70, when osteo arthritis got much worse in shoulders. I cannot raise my right arm much above horizontal unless I lift it with my left arm. I can then keep it high enough to work at about head hight with my right hand.
That wouldn't be a problem if on the ground under the car, but I cannot work like that because my shoulders are too painful to allow rolling over and shifting about.
So I bought a 4 post hoist. A 2 post is no good because you have to crouch or kneel to align the lifting arms under the car first.
The hoist has transformed my limited ability. Even to adjust the carpets, put on pedal rubbers,
or do other stuff inside the car I lift it to an easier height so I do not have to bend, because I injured my back many years ago.
I lost the sight completely in my right eye at 12 from an accident, so soldering is a joke unless I hold the wires in position in one of those cheap multi arm pedestals with several crocodile clips on pivoting arms. That way I can ensure the 2 soldered parts are actually touching and joined when I move the iron away!
I have found recently that my back pain is somewhat relieved by 2 paracetamol, but this may be because I never took them before, and if I now take them long term they may cease to work.
Now and then there are simple tricky jobs where a younger person can help, and this is mostly under the dashes of 4 different English sports saloons I have. Head neck and arm contortions makes these too painful.
I have not been able to ride my Harley road King for 5 years because of shoulder pain, and my right bicep is now withered.
A bit of a tale of woe, but I am glad to still be alive and able to drive these wonderful old cars.
I hope this encourages you too, since you are not alone, and with targeted exercise (mainly walking), dieting (I just lost 28 pounds by stopping eating between and after meals etc), paracetamol, sometimes ibuprofen for a change, I am now improving. I can now roll over in bed, which was agony and impossible for the last 2 years.
I can still use a lathe, mill and drill, and exchange these for stuff I cannot do when people come for a quick bit of machining work or advice.
There is hope yet for us all.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #13
Wick

I'm 61 and still do everything I want. Lady friends enjoy having ne over.
What helps.... 4 post lift,no crawling on the floor. Power winch in front of lift. Winch on traliers.
Good lighting is a must. Fridge and good music in the garage.
Heat located in front of lift! More than 1 floor jack. Engine hoist. No comfortable chairs.
Garage stays a mess,everyday is like Christmas.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:11 AM   #14
bob from red oak

I am also there. Mid 70s and finding more physical limitations all the time. AS you say big issue is getting under the A. Can't stay under too long without getting dizzy, nauseated, and difficulty standing. My best Model A friend same age and shares same limits. I just learn to know my limits as I age and also learn to increase the appreciation for what I still got. Continued maintenance at a higher level is a bid issue as there are fewer and fewer go to repair people for our A's. Ford Barn has been a great place to continue to share and learn.
bob from red oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #15
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post

My wife Jeanne and I will be married 61 years on Jun 4th. She is having a hard time recovering from her 3rd stroke. Your prayers would be appreciated. They work better than the pills.

Richard
Anaheim CA
my thoughts and prayers are with Jeanne for a quick and complete recovery. God Bless, Wayne
Old 02-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #16
rocket1

I'm 79 and it is getting tough to crawl around under and over the A my suggestion is to get one of the local youths interested in the A teach him all about it and when you depart this orb leave it to him.I'm leaving my granddaughter my A which she loves and will maintain,she grew up with it.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #17
Patrick L.

At 72 I still do everything, just slower. I can't believe how long it takes to get some things done now. But its like that for everything, not just old cars. It just took 2 months to gut and redo 3 rooms.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #18
WHN

I thought that I was alone with my new age related problems.

Glad to hear that I am in good company. At least we are on the right side of the ground.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #19
77Birdman

What are the possibilities of your local school having an auto tech course? (Although right now thats probably a moot point with covid as well). If you need help with basic stuff, oil change, lube, grease etc., maybe you could get in contact with the instructor, he could point you in the direction of a student who may want to learn a bit more and help you out one weekend a month. With your knowledge and a young persons hands (and back) it may just work out.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:46 AM   #20
Conaway2

I’m 68 and still working on the first Model A I bought at age 15. Just replaced the engine and rebuilt the rear axle in the past 18 months - in my garage with the help of a neighbor - who owns a Model T.

I realized a couple of years ago that I’m starting to get old, so started exercising a lot more - biking and walking for a couple of hours a day, weather permitting. I also was going to the local gym to work out and practice yoga several times a week. No gym now with COVID here, but practice yoga at home - believe it or not, it’s been one of the most helpful things I’ve found to stay agile and balanced.

Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #21
Jacksonlll

As a friend said: it’s getting harder to regain the posture of standing.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM   #22
Chris in WNC

If you have the space and the budget, get a Backyard Buddy lift.
You will love it.
Had one for 5 years and had to let it go when we moved.
Really miss it.
Pleased our Town Sedan needs no heavy repairs, hope that continues for a while.
Just turned 72 here, was 38 when I got my first Model A.
Moving a little slower and lifting a little less but life is still good......
Old 02-03-2021, 09:03 AM   #23
kenparker0703

Who you calling "old"? I am 78 and still do all my own work and even do a lot of maintenance for other Model A'ers who cant. Just do it a a slower pace.
Rember two things. U dont git old 'til you quit and life is still good. Working on the A and in the shop gives me a reason to get up in the morning.
kenparker0703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:05 AM   #24
Ray64

Im with WICK at 75. Lots of goodies to work with. Especially the 2 post lift RAY
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM   #25
McMimmcs

A great question because sooner or later we will all be dealing with this situation !
Old 02-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #26
ronn

agreed. super topic that Im surprised hasnt come up before.......

Wick you sound like you have it all handled. A few months back I said to my brother, I really need a lift, but will I still be able to work on my cars past 70? I am Wicks age.

youre attitudes are better then mine, because I thought the answer was to just start selling everything off......... maybe I should look into that lift and some heat and better tools.......?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:57 AM   #27
Merc Cruzer

When you were younger, you did everything faster because you didn't have the time, and quite often you had to do it over. Now you are older and do everything slower, because you now have the time, to do it right the first time. I am 74 and still learning every day. It doesn't get any better than that.
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #28
Jack Shaft
BANNED

62,40+ year mechanic, I'm a virgo, I like cold beer, camping and steak.. wait, this isn't a dating site is it?

Inflammation is what keeps you from the shop in the beginning, followed by muscle loss and lack of flexibility from sitting caused by inflammation. Its a cycle that has to be broken to stay in the shop.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #29
1928Mik

I'm 68 and still running my own business. I keep in shape by going to the gym and hitting the weights and the treadmill. I could retire whenever I want but I do like to keep busy, even in the garage. The A is restored but I doubt if I would tackle another one now. But the way I figure it, just staying busy is a big part of it. John Glenn was able to go back into space at age 78 so I always keep that in mind...

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:16 AM   #30
BillCook

Send a message via Yahoo to BillCook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
For my friends also in their "golden years:” How are you coping with the aging process vis-a-vis working on your A? Personally, with arthritis and a sensitive back, I am increasingly reluctant to get under the cars for even something as elemental as checking the fluid level in the trans or doing a full chassis lube job. Major mechanics I would have tackled even just ten years ago, at the tender age of 65, now seem beyond my realistic capabilites. Pull an engine? A tranny? Nope. A rear end? Yikes!

I don’t have any grandchildren, inlaws, or step children who can help. My long-time go-to shop has essentially closed down for Covid, but at his age, maybe forever. My former club is populated by a similar aged group, and is not an option.

I wouldn’t trust any local auto repair shops (they all think my ‘91 VW is an antique auto and refuse to work on it. I sure wouldn’t trust my A to any of them!)
IÂ’ll be 76 in 3 months, and I honestly donÂ’t know how IÂ’m going to accomplish the basic maintenance on my AÂ’s that IÂ’ve been doing for the last 50 years.

How about you? If your age is presenting similar problems, what are you doing, or what is your plan?
I’m goin through the same thing ,I’m building a 30 p/u ,I’m 72 no kids around so yes it’s tough,I had a carport to work under but my lousy neighbor complained to the town because it was 4” under regs too close to the fence ( my fence) had to remove so I’ll have to wait till spring to finish ,but I’m still lookin for body parts to finish ,stay well gents !
BillCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:19 AM   #31
nkaminar

Everyone ages differently. My friend, at 68, found that he could no longer work on any of his antique cars or even drive them. He sold the lot and the house and moved into an extended care facility and bought a Tesla, which he loves. At some point we all will face the music and will have to sell out or leave the cars to our grand kids. I am 76 and sill can work on my car, fortunately. I think a 4-point lift is next, however.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #32
Dennisfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Mik View Post
I'm 68 and still running my own business. I keep in shape by going to the gym and hitting the weights and the treadmill. I could retire whenever I want but I do like to keep busy, even in the garage. The A is restored but I doubt if I would tackle another one now. But the way I figure it, just staying busy is a big part of it. John Glenn was able to go back into space at age 78 so I always keep that in mind...

At the time, there was a hamburger joint in Florida that had big sign saying, "Free Hamburgers for all Astronauts 78 or older."
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #33
LeonardS

I believe the 4 post lifts are a good solution for repair work and additional storage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1FE5CBEF-7A99-4FC3-92F7-2FA50A5E61B1.jpg (59.3 KB, 72 views)
LeonardS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #34
Jim Huseby

I have a similar problem that I am asking anyone to give an answer to. In Septemeber at a healthy 71, 'lost my right leg near the hip. I can still drive my CCPU without the prosthetic leg (no way to get in & out of the cab with it on & no place to set it if I could wear it) by dancing from clutch to brake with my left foot and using the hand throttle and using an electric starter button. I can double clutch this way, but the whole driving experience is just not the same, in fact it is SCARY trying to get get the technique perfected and there is no way to clutch and brake at the same time. Unless the road surface is perfectly level at stop lights, I hold with the hand brake, advance the throttle slightly when I estimate the light is about to turn green, then release the hand brake while easing the clutch out enough to keep from rolling backwards, then adding throttle and engagement when the light turns green. Model As are no longer my daily drivers and I really feel the loss of that gentle pleasure, however I still have a shop full of them and work on them most days. Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Jim Huseby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #35
Y-Blockhead

I installed a Mitchell O/D in my Town Sedan this past July... by myself. Social distancing and all that.

The videos and instructions said it should take an afternoon to install. It took me three afternoons (+four mornings ).

My cardiologist strongly suggested I don't do that anymore. At least I didn't set off my Defibrillator.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-03-2021 at 12:09 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:18 PM   #36
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Jim, Did you see the article on "Hand Operated Clutch for Model A Fords" in the May/June 2020 Restorer by Jerry Kelly?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 PM   #37
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Huseby View Post
I have a similar problem that I am asking anyone to give an answer to. In Septemeber at a healthy 71, 'lost my right leg near the hip. I can still drive my CCPU without the prosthetic leg (no way to get in & out of the cab with it on & no place to set it if I could wear it) by dancing from clutch to brake with my left foot and using the hand throttle and using an electric starter button. I can double clutch this way, but the whole driving experience is just not the same, in fact it is SCARY trying to get get the technique perfected and there is no way to clutch and brake at the same time. Unless the road surface is perfectly level at stop lights, I hold with the hand brake, advance the throttle slightly when I estimate the light is about to turn green, then release the hand brake while easing the clutch out enough to keep from rolling backwards, then adding throttle and engagement when the light turns green. Model As are no longer my daily drivers and I really feel the loss of that gentle pleasure, however I still have a shop full of them and work on them most days. Please contact me to discuss various hand control systems.
Here's a thread on the HAMB about that topic, might give you some ideas.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...-coupe.463540/
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:29 PM   #38
Ted Duke

I just had my 84th and am blessed with good health. I take a very small amount of blood pressure medicine. I have been diagnosed with rotator cuff damage right arm (I refused scans, because I would refuse surgery at my age.) I do everything I always did SLOWER and much more carefully, drive, farm, work on cars. I have a four post lift (which is fantastic), but right now I do have to crawl under my A in resurrection because it is not convenient to put on the lift YET. (I still need the lift for other jobs.

I have been told, "Don't give up any activity you can still manage," by two medics. I try to follow that, but I am sure you would all get a laugh watching me get under the A or getting out.

I am blessed with a son who did major bodywork and the painting and another who has rebuilt the engine with me and will be helping more as soon as I get my second COVID serum.

Keep moving. It's good for body and mind.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #39
Jacksonlll

I use a getter-upper and it really helps. Here is a video of it. Easy to make.
https://youtu.be/uqgT5va5ssw
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #40
charlesea

I am 84 and able to get down under the A but the problem is getting up.
However I am thankful I still drive the 91 year old A & it does great.
Best wishes to all you youngsters.
charlesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:48 PM   #41
Don S

I feel badly for those of you that are challenged in one way or another. Working on our cars is part of who we are, to only be able to look at them would be dissapointing,and potentially not reason enough to keep them . I am 82 ,take no medications, am still able to maintain my coupe without too much trouble, not working fast ,but thorough when needed. Heavy lifting is out of my realm of possibility, definitely work smarter. I also golf twice a week for 8 months of the year. I thank my parents for the best of the best , that is me.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:23 PM   #42
Merc Cruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Everyone ages differently. My friend, at 68, found that he could no longer work on any of his antique cars or even drive them. He sold the lot and the house and moved into an extended care facility and bought a Tesla, which he loves. At some point we all will face the music and will have to sell out or leave the cars to our grand kids. I am 76 and sill can work on my car, fortunately. I think a 4-point lift is next, however.

Since my daughter and Son-in-law, are not interested in the cars (53' Merc convertible and my wifes 70' Cougar XR-7) we will just have to keep on liven and enjoying them ourselves!
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #43
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
Garage stays a mess,everyday is like Christmas.
Gotta love it! :-)
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #44
Chris Haynes

At age 75 I just bought a two post lift. No more crawling under cars.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #45
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonlll View Post
I use a getter-upper and it really helps. Here is a video of it. Easy to make.
https://youtu.be/uqgT5va5ssw
Jacksonlll, I like your "Getter-Upper". I made something similar except I added a small tray to hold tools and small parts. A magnet holds small screws.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...

Last edited by The Master Cylinder; 02-03-2021 at 08:37 PM.
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:33 PM   #46
jimalabam

Richard, as you will recall, I turn 84 on 3-2-21. Sold my "A" BUT the interest and participation is still there, try to help with research and info for some of our younger club members, but always CAUTION: THERE ARE NO MODEL A EXPERTS - Many knowledgeable folks, who hopefully like me wiling to help in anyway possible. Prayers for Jeannie. At mine and your age, REMEMBER - "My Body knows how old I am, BUT my mind still thinks I am 20. hmmmmmmm!!! Jim...
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #47
nkaminar

Merc Cruzer,

Yeah, I don't see a lot of interest in my Model A from the kids and grand kids. I think when the time comes I will have an essay contest: "Why I want grandpa's Model A." If I don't get a good answer I will just sell it.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #48
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Merc Cruzer,

Yeah, I don't see a lot of interest in my Model A from the kids and grand kids. I think when the time comes I will have an essay contest: "Why I want grandpa's Model A." If I don't get a good answer I will just sell it.

I like that idea. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 04:26 PM   #49
Jim Brierley

I'm right behind Richard in Anaheim at 83.8 years. I was in great shape at 76, could lift B blocks, etc. Then I had a major stroke, my whole right side is a half step above useless. BUT, I can still walk, drive my truck and tractor, etc. I'm fortunate to have a couple of younger guys that do any major work for me, and work that requires dexterity, so life is still good if a little more difficult. My story about my stroke points out that life can change in an instant, so enjoy it now while you can. I can drive my '31 Vicky easily, once I get inside of it. My '31 pickup not as well because of so little leg room.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:36 PM   #50
ronn

like youre thinking NK,............

If I dont get a good answer, I will just sell it!

Put a huge smile on my face.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:56 PM   #51
Ole Don

I'll be 79 in two months. I am a life long rodder. After back surgery that had me in a full body cast for 12 weeks, I sold most of my stuff, and all the old cars. Then the wife passed, and now there seems to be a Shay roadster, (hot rodded of course), parked in the garage. I decided on a Shay because it should be more reliable and need less work than other old cars. Well, that didn't work out. The Shays are now so old they are like any other old car.
I guess I'll tinker until they close the lid on me.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:49 PM   #52
jimvette59

Wick I'm 76 and beat the hell out of my body until twenty years ago. The four post lift is a must and all of the winches , engine hoists, etc. etc. etc. It hurts like hell but i have to keep moving or I will come to a complete stop.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #53
Oldgearz

I will turn 76 next week. Still work as much as I can on my A and old tractors. I can still get under the car, but I'll admit it can be a challenge to get back up off the concrete floor. Hope I can do this till I'm 86 at least. My God I love it!
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #54
Tacoma Bob

71 here and in the same boat. I can still tinker but it's tough.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #55
Richard in Anaheim CA

Jim in Alabam, Jim Brierley and I are so close in age we were almost triplets.

Alabam is wrong about no Model A experts. Anyone 50 miles from home is an expert.
Brierley wrote the book and he is about 50 miles from me.

I've got a secret. #1 Burtz production engine is in the country being thoroughly examined and measured. And it is mine. Brierley, expect my call.

Richard
Anaheim CA
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #56
jb-ob

As most of us are in a group of 70 +, who let that snot nosed 61 year old kid in ??
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:28 PM   #57
antiquepa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Anaheim CA View Post

Richard
Anaheim CA
Payers coming your way, in this crazy world we can all use a little help from all, God Bless the both of you and I hope all gets better in the future.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:42 PM   #58
ericr

thanks for the comments, kids. I am kinda surprised that no one mentioned how much harder it gets to get into these cars, particularly the '29 roadster. Also one benefit of our ages is living to see the souces of information that we did not have in decades past.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 PM   #59
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I'm 61 and still do everything I want. Lady friends enjoy having ne over.
Wick
Wait, that's plural???

My role model was a farmer neighbor that made it to 96. In his 80s he was still driving tractors and working the land. He'd be out working quite early, earlier than I got up. He used really old hand tools, really old. Sure, he moved slow, but there was no wasted motion and he made no mistakes. Leverage was his friend.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #60
dean from bozeman

My dad was active until he was 91. It is then that we took him to an assisted living place to check it out. After the visit he said it was a nice place but there were too many old people there.

I stay very active working around our place (2 hours today in the tractor moving snow and another hour on the snowmobile setting cross country ski track). There are always project that need attention.

For 2004 of the last 2006 days I have walked over 10,000 steps per day. The two days I missed: 1. locked in a room at an Ethiopian Airport 2. Having some beer with buddies and having too much fun. That iWatch and my dog make sure that I get out daily.

Years ago I played a lot of football (Iowa Hawkeye) and those injuries can still be noticed at times. Maybe the concussion that I got playing ball keeps me from remembering what tools to take under the car until I am under the car.

Last year I lifted an "A" engine block and put it on my work bench. I told myself that I will try to be wiser about lifting things. So for me it is important to still be active but use more common sense (something that I am still trying to develop).

A talk I have with myself at times is about not giving in to age. Slowing down is natural but a guy should do what he can while he can. Now I need to get my boots on my dog is giving me the "eye". He is ready for a walk.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #61
Robert/Texas

I’m 86 and walk with a cane but I still work on and under my old Fords. I have a large rug which I lay on the floor and kneel and lay on it. When I work under my V8’s, I use jack stands but I seldom use them for the T’s and A’s. The ceiling in my workshop is too low for a lift. When I find things that are too difficult for me, I call on my 60 year-old mechanic son-in-law who is always eager to help. The problem is that he is almost 100 miles away and only available on some weekends. When I suggest to my wife that I should sell the cars, she nixes the idea. I guess I’m lucky.

Last edited by Robert/Texas; 02-04-2021 at 07:22 AM. Reason: add period
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 07:40 AM   #62
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonards View Post
i believe the 4 post lifts are a good solution for repair work and additional storage.
got heat?
Old 02-04-2021, 07:45 AM   #63
rocket1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I installed a Mitchell O/D in my Town Sedan this past July... by myself. Social distancing and all that.

The videos and instructions said it should take an afternoon to install. It took me three afternoons (+four mornings ).

My cardiologist strongly suggested I don't do that anymore. At least I didn't set off my Defibrillator.

George burns was asked what his doctor thought about him smoking cigars and drinking Martinis he says my doctor is dead,George lived to 100
Old 02-04-2021, 09:12 AM   #64
Benson

Dean,

Ten years ago I was moving a bunch of heavy items while helping the folks move out their house after 53 years in the same place and engine blocks in the shop around here.

I found these hydraulic table lifts to be a great help.

This one lifts 27 1/2 high.
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...art-61405.html
This one lifts high enough to load things into rear of SUV.

Minimum height is 9 1/4 but lifting an engine block 9 inches is quite workable.

If you need higher LIFT ...
This one lifts 34 1/2 inches
https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-l...art-60438.html

I know it is Harbor Freight but they were on sale for $120.

I have three in total now for use in different LOCATIONS.
I even found a used one that HF used in store for 1/2 of that.

These lifts have Hot and Cold running water...
AND FLUSH Toilets!

No $hite burning!

Last edited by Benson; 02-04-2021 at 01:53 PM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #65
LeonardS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
got heat?
Yes, it’s fully insulated and heated. Bathroom, shower, office....it’s my man cave where I spend most days. You can see the overhead radiant heaters in the photo. 150,000 BTU each, so 300,000 BTU total.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:54 PM   #66
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

I'll be 72 this week. My Model A and a bottle of "Jack" keeps me and my Model A Going!
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #67
CarlG

I will be 80 later this year. Gotta get going this morning as I was informed yesterday that I am scheduled to have my Model A in a parade in about 3 weeks. I missed last year's due to the fact that I had both knees replaced last year.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:52 PM   #68
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket1 View Post
George burns was asked what his doctor thought about him smoking cigars and drinking Martinis he says my doctor is dead,George lived to 100
Thanks, Rocket. I needed that!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post

I found these hydraulic table lifts to be a great help.

This one lifts 27 1/2 high.
https://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb...art-61405.html
This one lifts high enough to load things into rear of SUV.

Minimum height is 9 1/4 but lifting an engine block 9 inches is quite workable.
I have one of these and actually thought about removing the handle and using it to wheel and lift my Mitchell O/D and rear end assembly under the car.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 02-04-2021 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:56 PM   #69
Benson

Leonard,

A friend put his Coupe up on the hoist and the radiant heater burned a strip right down the middle of his newly installed top!!

Last edited by Benson; 02-05-2021 at 11:54 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #70
shew01

Quote:
Leonard,

A friend put his Coupe up and the hoist and the radiant heater burned a strip right down the middle of his newly installed top!!
Poor guy. That's about my luck. Ouch!
Old 02-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #71
LeonardS

Quote:
Leonard,

A friend put his Coupe up and the hoist and the radiant heater burned a strip right down the middle of his newly installed top!!
Notice that I didn’t put the cars directly under the heaters. They recommend 6’ of clearance below the heaters, to eliminate cooking something. My shop prior to this one had similar heaters and I had no problems for 14 years. This is the second winter in this shop, and no problems so far. Thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-04-2021, 03:41 PM   #72
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

I'm about to turn 75 and doing as well as anyone sounds like.

I've found "gardening knee pads" are a big help to keep from hurting the knees on the concrete garage floor. And I use a lift for working on the old British Triumph motorcycles but have no room for a lift for the '31 Tudor.

The best exercise I've found is hitting the honky-tonk music places in EastTennessee/SouthFlorida/Louisiana but not many are open now due to Covid

So, walking the Pyrenees shelter dog on the beaches here around Charleston, SC is good exercise now. And my sweet wife lets me drive her Porsche too, to keep a smile on my face
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #73
Synchro909

At 72, I know what I dread is creeping up on me. I know that because I now call stretching under the car and getting up as exercise. I intend doing what I am doing now for as long as I am looking at the green side of the grass.
Another about 9,000 mile tour coming up in June-August.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:40 PM   #74
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansluck View Post
I'll be 72 this week. My Model A and a bottle of "Jack" keeps me and my Model A Going!
I’m going to start keeping that kind of jack in my garage too.

Old 02-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #75
katy

I'm still going strong at 80, although 4 compressed vertebrae in my lower back and a torn tendon in my right shoulder that can't be repaired limit me a bit.
Old 02-05-2021, 02:27 PM   #76
5851a

I sure admire anyone over 60 that is able to do the things they enjoy. I used to laugh at people for taking a vehicle for service or work. Not so much anymore. Tell your grandchildren to never work in an assembly atmosphere, it will wring every hope and desire out of you. Sorry for rant and prayers for all.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:10 PM   #77
Russ B

Getting close to 75, and have slowed a bit. I did the bulk of a 6 years build a few years ago, but my last redo of my 51 Ford was mostly farmed out. I have a 29 closed cab with a stuck motor I am planning to get back on the road this next year, mostly by myself. I am waiting for a Burtz block, and hope to put that together mostly by myself. I can still get down on my back when it is not too cold. Two shoulder operations kept me going after long recoveries, but I am not 100% after a fusion in my good hand. Most important is to keep moving and try to do a bit each day.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #78
Darrell Kinnan

I'm 86 and do about anything I want despite having arthritis in my back. I have no trouble getting under my fords but have some trouble getting up of the floor. I still walk behind a snowblower on a long steep driveway here in Michigan and I still split wood for the fireplace. You have to keep moving and that's what I do.
Darrell Kinnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #79
bosticjb

I'm 73 and I purchased a 4 post life and it makes life so much easier, and no it is now bolted down to the floor , it came with a lift kit so I can move it when I want to and it did not cost a arm & leg
bosticjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #80
BrianH

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosticjb View Post
I'm 73 and I purchased a 4 post life and it makes life so much easier, and no it is now bolted down to the floor , it came with a lift kit so I can move it when I want to and it did not cost a arm & leg
How about a picture of your four post lift?
BrianH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #81
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Getting close to 75, and have slowed a bit. I did the bulk of a 6 years build a few years ago, but my last redo of my 51 Ford was mostly farmed out. I have a 29 closed cab with a stuck motor I am planning to get back on the road this next year, mostly by myself. I am waiting for a Burtz block, and hope to put that together mostly by myself. I can still get down on my back when it is not too cold. Two shoulder operations kept me going after long recoveries, but I am not 100% after a fusion in my good hand. Most important is to keep moving and try to do a bit each day.
Russ, how much are those? Are they just the bare block, and is it all machined and ready to go?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #82
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Kinnan View Post
You have to keep moving and that's what I do.
Ditto
Old 02-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #83
5lugnuts

I'm 78 and slow. I can only pass on two suggestions that I have found to help the problem of getting down and under.

To get down and up easier I use an adjustable height jack stand to lean on when getting down and to push on when getting up. Sort of a crutch. I keep a spare rag laid over the top of the stand for a softer grip or to grab when needed. I also have those "moving blankets" from Harbor Freight to spread on the concrete alongside and under the car. Sometimes I double them up or fold one over for a softer landing and a warmer place to work. I lay the tools or parts on the blanket and just drag everything out at once when I'm finished. Sometimes I store the tools and parts in a five gallon bucket until next time so I don't have to round everything up when I have a chance to finish the job. The bucket makes a good stool to sit on when turned over, but you knew that. You guys probably do these things already but I just wanted to share because I enjoyed this thread and learned that I'm not the only one ageing. Thanks!
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #84
[email protected]

Wait till you get to 92 like me! I still change my own oil in both the old car and modern iron as well, and keep all three cars waxed and looking nice. Age is a matter of mind, and if you don't mind, it doesn't matter! Got to keep moving! That's the secret!
Hodbilll@Yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #85
700rpm

This thread is very heartwarming, supportive, and encouraging. What a great buncha guys.

Old 02-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #86
ALJ

I'm 81 and can still do anything that needs to be done. I also ride a bike and or walk just about every day. You have to keep moving. A word to you younger guys (50, 60, 70), if you are not already, start moving. You will be a lot better of when you are 80.
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:55 AM   #87
TerryH

I’m 76 now, and the past few years developed arthritis in my hips and lower back, which has really slowed me down and made doing even minor maintenance a very difficult proposition. I worry about anything major, which is out of the question. We have been lucky to have a very good local Model A mechanic for many, many years, but he is now over 80 and no telling how much longer he will be available. I will probably try to hire some of our younger club members to help out when needed. I still love my A and don’t drive it as much, but not ready to part with it yet.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #88
jerrytocci

I throw all my tools on the floor in the area I will be working
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 AM   #89
Harpkatt

At the age of 31, You guys give great hope that I can continue my 'slight' obsession with these graceful mechanical icons for many more years. Your knowledge and expertise make this hobby possible.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:54 AM   #90
john charlton

In the new version of the movie "Jumanji" at the end Danny de Vito says "old age is a gift" I had never ever thought of that and indeed the script writer is correct .For me that has given me a new slant on life . I have lived longer than both my parents but my uncle Tom lived to 96 and was captured at Dunkirk and was in a prison camp all of WW2 .My father his brother spent WW2 in California/Mojave desert working on radar controlled gunnery and had a Buick with a lady driver ,the luck of the draw . At 81 everything takes twice as long but as working on my A projects is enjoyable so thats OK . I have all the usual health issues ,hypertension/diabetes,LBBB etc et etc so what the heck grab it while you can . I have found now memory comes into it when I go to do something or find something I stand in the garage wondering why I am here !!! . I start over again to reboot the thought process this normally works .We are all infected with the "model A virus (incurable!!!) My late wife once said "You are obsessed !!!" I said at least I am not chasing school girls she replied " I can sort out any school girl but your cars have got me beat" . It was not all bad she did enjoy the club tours and could talk to other wives about knitting etc etc . The club tour of Holland in 98 was the best .

John in blizzard "Darcy" Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote