Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2021, 07:51 PM   #81
Gene F

Default Re: A question for old guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Getting close to 75, and have slowed a bit. I did the bulk of a 6 years build a few years ago, but my last redo of my 51 Ford was mostly farmed out. I have a 29 closed cab with a stuck motor I am planning to get back on the road this next year, mostly by myself. I am waiting for a Burtz block, and hope to put that together mostly by myself. I can still get down on my back when it is not too cold. Two shoulder operations kept me going after long recoveries, but I am not 100% after a fusion in my good hand. Most important is to keep moving and try to do a bit each day.
Russ, how much are those? Are they just the bare block, and is it all machined and ready to go?
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:59 PM   #82
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Kinnan View Post
You have to keep moving and that's what I do.
Ditto
Old 02-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #83
5lugnuts

I'm 78 and slow. I can only pass on two suggestions that I have found to help the problem of getting down and under.

To get down and up easier I use an adjustable height jack stand to lean on when getting down and to push on when getting up. Sort of a crutch. I keep a spare rag laid over the top of the stand for a softer grip or to grab when needed. I also have those "moving blankets" from Harbor Freight to spread on the concrete alongside and under the car. Sometimes I double them up or fold one over for a softer landing and a warmer place to work. I lay the tools or parts on the blanket and just drag everything out at once when I'm finished. Sometimes I store the tools and parts in a five gallon bucket until next time so I don't have to round everything up when I have a chance to finish the job. The bucket makes a good stool to sit on when turned over, but you knew that. You guys probably do these things already but I just wanted to share because I enjoyed this thread and learned that I'm not the only one ageing. Thanks!
5lugnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:05 PM   #84
[email protected]

Wait till you get to 92 like me! I still change my own oil in both the old car and modern iron as well, and keep all three cars waxed and looking nice. Age is a matter of mind, and if you don't mind, it doesn't matter! Got to keep moving! That's the secret!
Hodbilll@Yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #85
700rpm

This thread is very heartwarming, supportive, and encouraging. What a great buncha guys.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:16 AM   #86
ALJ

I'm 81 and can still do anything that needs to be done. I also ride a bike and or walk just about every day. You have to keep moving. A word to you younger guys (50, 60, 70), if you are not already, start moving. You will be a lot better of when you are 80.
ALJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:55 AM   #87
TerryH

I’m 76 now, and the past few years developed arthritis in my hips and lower back, which has really slowed me down and made doing even minor maintenance a very difficult proposition. I worry about anything major, which is out of the question. We have been lucky to have a very good local Model A mechanic for many, many years, but he is now over 80 and no telling how much longer he will be available. I will probably try to hire some of our younger club members to help out when needed. I still love my A and don’t drive it as much, but not ready to part with it yet.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:39 AM   #88
jerrytocci

I throw all my tools on the floor in the area I will be working
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 02:02 AM   #89
Harpkatt

At the age of 31, You guys give great hope that I can continue my 'slight' obsession with these graceful mechanical icons for many more years. Your knowledge and expertise make this hobby possible.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:54 AM   #90
john charlton

In the new version of the movie "Jumanji" at the end Danny de Vito says "old age is a gift" I had never ever thought of that and indeed the script writer is correct .For me that has given me a new slant on life . I have lived longer than both my parents but my uncle Tom lived to 96 and was captured at Dunkirk and was in a prison camp all of WW2 .My father his brother spent WW2 in California/Mojave desert working on radar controlled gunnery and had a Buick with a lady driver ,the luck of the draw . At 81 everything takes twice as long but as working on my A projects is enjoyable so thats OK . I have all the usual health issues ,hypertension/diabetes,LBBB etc et etc so what the heck grab it while you can . I have found now memory comes into it when I go to do something or find something I stand in the garage wondering why I am here !!! . I start over again to reboot the thought process this normally works .We are all infected with the "model A virus (incurable!!!) My late wife once said "You are obsessed !!!" I said at least I am not chasing school girls she replied " I can sort out any school girl but your cars have got me beat" . It was not all bad she did enjoy the club tours and could talk to other wives about knitting etc etc . The club tour of Holland in 98 was the best .

John in blizzard "Darcy" Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote