Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2022, 06:17 PM   #1
Lawson Cox

Default Having trouble installing spark plug wires into caps

HELP. I am feeding new spark plug wires through the looms and into the caps. I am going by wiring diagram from 3rd Gen, which helps, up to a point. I am having trouble getting everything "stuffed in" and attaching the caps to the distributor. Is there any particular way to position the wires other than 2 on each side of "the post"? Part of the problem is probably my crippled hands and loss of strength. I know, for display I could just stick the wires in there, but then, that ain't me. All suggestions appreciated. Lawson

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:14 PM   #2
drolston

Default Re: Having trouble installing spark plug wires into caps

If you can get all wires through the looms, it is pretty sure, you are using 7mm spark plug wire, and not 9mm. No offense; just thinking out loud.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by drolston View Post
If you can get all wires through the looms, it is pretty sure, you are using 7mm spark plug wire, and not 9mm. No offense; just thinking out loud.
I'm not all that concerned with wire size, I'm interested in installation and getting this project finished. Wires are through the looms w/o any problem. The problem is getting the caps on with the wires attached. I'm getting very close, but older as well. No offense.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Last edited by Lawson Cox; 05-23-2022 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2022, 09:21 PM   #4
Grassman

I agree with drolston, had to chuck my 9mm wires and go with 7mm, the 9mm just wouldn't fit in my 47 pu looms and cap. Good Luck ( 7mm was still tight)
Grassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 06:05 AM   #5
HDowse

Lawson, if I remember correctly, I used a set of color coded wires from Joe's Antique Parts that look like the originals. I started the difficult process by fitting the wires in the caps before I fished them fully through the looms to give me some room to fit the wires in the caps. I did have to cram and bend the wires and use pliers to push the wire ends into the plate. I tried a couple of routes to clear the central peg. It was difficult but the key points are to give yourself plenty of wire to play with. You could even start at the caps and then fish the wires into the looms once all the hard work with the caps is done as I did. Pliers helped. I double checked my work with an ohm meter to be sure I had the correct wire in the correct spot in the plate. And I marked the insert points with a marker. I hope this helps and congratulations on your 60th.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #6
Tim Ayers

Lawson,

Where actually is the problem your having? Is in the looms or in the end caps on the distributor?

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 05-24-2022 at 08:35 AM.
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:23 AM   #7
Charlie ny
BANNED

LC,
It takes muscle for sure. You don't need the frustration....toss everything in a box and send to me. I'll turn it right around. All will be functional, color and location.

Charlie ny
Charles Schwendler
5845 Cole Rd.
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:36 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
LC,
It takes muscle for sure. You don't need the frustration....toss everything in a box and send to me. I'll turn it right around. All will be functional, color and location.

Charlie ny
Charles Schwendler
5845 Cole Rd.
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Wow, that's awfully nice of you. Once again, Charlie NY proves he's one of the good ones
Tim Ayers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie ny View Post
LC,

Charlie ny
Charles Schwendler
5845 Cole Rd.
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Charlie: I really do appreciate the offer of help, but to steal an old Alka Seltzer commercial, and change it around somewhat, "Please, Mother, I'd rather do it myself." Once I figured out exactly how it needed to be done, half the problem was solved. I got one of them pretty close, even got the O ring on but the contact point plate was a little tilted and not seated properly. I took a break and haven't gotten back to it because I got involved with reassembling the generator and starter. That done, I'll try again tomorrow. However, should a package from me arrive at your doorstep, you'll know what it is. LOL