Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-22-2022, 02:49 PM   #1
R G King

Default ‘36 window regulator

Good afternoon, I just asked this question but found I was in model T’s instead of here. I removed the window regulator from the left front door on my ‘36 deluxe. There were parts missing so I got everything back together, lubed up and back in the door. The window goes up and down fine now but the glass try’s to lay in towards the driver as I wind it up. I have to hold the glass in place as the window goes up. While things were apart I replaced the felt but I think there are parts that didn’t come with the felt kit. I need to find some directions, drawings or a parts list for the doors to see if there is a guide inside the door to hold the glass in place until it enters the felt groove and how it would be held in place. It seems like there should be something to hold the glass steady in the door while window is down if for nothing else but to prevent rattling. Thanks to anyone that can give me a hand.
R G King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #2
terry

Default Re: ‘36 window regulator

My car is a '36 standard. It's been awhile since I bought a kit to do what you are doing, but i do remember 2 different kits were offered depending on whether or not the car was early or a late model. Maybe they changed the position of the roll-up handles later in the year? Hope someone can tell us more. terry
terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:50 AM   #3
R G King

Thank You Terry, I know some of the regulators had the crank towards the hinge of the door and some closer to the middle. I have the correct regulator and the glass has a channel on the front of the window inside the door for the window to ride in. I think there must be another one that would go on the back edge of the window too. Everything works great except I have to hold the glass in place until it is most of the way up. I just need to see one and I could probably figure out what is missing or what I’m doing wrong.
I really appreciate your reply.
Old 05-24-2022, 08:08 AM   #4
sugarmaker

RG,
I know nothing! But sure sounds like your missing the back channel to hold the glass. There must be a parts book somewhere that has a exploded view of the door guts. Find the part and life will be good.
My truck doors glass systems were a mess. But with some work and the right parts back in the right places I am a happy camper.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 09:46 AM   #5
TJ

Call Regulator Roy who advertises in the V-8 Times magazine. I suspect he may know what is missing. He's a wealth of info.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 10:55 AM   #6
blucar

I have owned my '36 5 win coupe for 70 seventy years, it is a Delux. I have had to work on my windows from time to time, but not in over 25 years years so i might be a little foggy on the inner workings.
The front windows on a 36 Delux roll up in a vertical path in a felt lined narrow channel and a very wide 'Bat Wing' felt lined front channel. As the window reaches it's upmost path, the gear engages into a slot that guides the window forward. When the window is rolled down it moves to the rear for about 2", then down. This was Fords method to get ventilation into the passenger compartment without using vent windows requiring additional operators and a division bar.
In the early fifties I installed the window assembly from a '40 Ford coupe in my coupe. Sounded like a good idea but I did not like the look so I re-installed the original '36 windows.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:15 PM   #7
R G King

Thank you all. I’ll get ahold of regular Roy and hop he can help. Sir Bill, you are correct about my window, it goes up and forward then back and down with the batwing in front. It works well as long as I hold it as it goes up. It’s obvious I’m missing the rear guide. Hopefully I’ll find a parts book. If any of you out there has a diagram, instructions or even a parts list I sure could use a copy. Thanks again to everyone
Old 05-24-2022, 06:07 PM   #8
38convsedan

I agree…that’s good advice
38convsedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
blucar

A little additional info on the '36 Ford window guides:
As I recall the Ford window guides in the door only extend up to the window sill, the inner garnish has a anti rattle felt trim that is attached to the molding. If the window trim is missing or worn out on the window trim the window will fall away from the door as the window rolls up.
I don't recall ever seeing the window portion of the anti rattle felt faced garnish molding trim being offered by a vendor.
C & G in Escondido CA (800-266-0470) lists a 35-36 front door window channel kit on page 295 of their catalog, however, there is no pix of the contents of the kit.
I have seen some very creative home made anti-rattle insulators applied to the garnish moldings. Many years ago companies like JC Whttney offered a roller type gizmo that attached to the garnish molding, the roller made contact with the window as it was rolled up.
Most cars used a U shaped channel that extended around the upper portion of the door. The U shaped channel won't work on a Ford because it interferes with the garnish molding.

Last edited by blucar; 05-25-2022 at 11:18 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:27 PM   #10
R G King

That’s good information Bill. I may need to make something but for now I’ll check out the number you gave me. If I found a door in tact I’m not sure if I could see how it goes together without taking it apart. Hopefully C&G will have something useful. Thanks again for the time you have put into this, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:02 PM   #11
JayChicago

Bill's description in #9 is what I recall from working on '37 door glass. The felt-trimmed garnish molding is the only thing guiding upper part of the glass. Need to adjust window fore and aft to have a bit of glass behind the garnish molding both front and rear. The whole window assembly should be able to be adjusted fore and aft via key slots where regulator bolts to the door.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #12
R G King

Thank You for that, I’ll double check the back. On this ‘36 the window stays back until up then slides forward. I think that’s why the forward guide is so deep. What your saying makes sense because I put the regulator centered in the holes. I’m offshore now but I’ll certainly let you all know how I make out when I get home and get into it. Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #13
rich b

My 3W has a "fins" on the front of the glass channels to keep the windows upright. I know Ford did away with this in later production; maybe when he went with fuzzys on the garnish and door opening instead of the small rubber bumpers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 Ford 3W Coupe - EARLY STYLE WINDOW CHANNELS.jpg (51.6 KB, 22 views)
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 05:07 PM   #14
R G King

I thought the ‘35 and ‘36 doors were the same, maybe so on different models. I see the fins your talking about, my channel doesn’t have them. I’m looking forward to getting into the door, I’ve had some very good advice here. Thank You for the photos, every little bit helps me to get a picture in my head. Thanks again!!
Old 05-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #15
blucar

After making several comments from memory I decided to go out to my garage, uncover 'Henry' and take a look at the windows in my doors.
I guess I should add that the glass in my '36 is all original to the car, having the Ford window bug with dates running from 6/36 to 8/36.
I should note that I discovered many years ago that the '35-'36 doors have a lot of anomalies. The '35 doors on a 5 window coupe are different from a '36, however, Ford drilled/stamped the '36 doors so they would interchange with a '35, but not vise versa. I seem to recall that a '36 5 window and a '36 4dr have the same door. I found this out when I discovered a crack in the lock section of the right door. I went to a wrecking yard in the early '60's and harvested two doors, one from a coupe and one from a 4dr.
Looking at my widow anti-rattle felt I noted that I got very creative. I used modern stainless steel U channel that I cut along the folded edge, installing the inner 'L' shape into the door and the outer 'I' piece to the window garnish trim, in lieu of the original Ford trim. I left the original outer trim attached to the door.
I installed the home made modified window trim in '61-62 after I had the car repainted, the only time that 'Henry' has been repainted.
I will take some pix of my doors/glass later today and post them to the thread.

Last edited by blucar; 05-28-2022 at 09:54 AM.
blucar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:29 PM   #16
R G King

Thank You very much Bill, I’ve had some good info between here and my other searches. It looks as if I’ll be doing some creative things of my own. Jay from Chicago had a good idea and that will probably be the first thing I try, mainly because it’s simple but I think it has promise. I look forward to seeing your pictures, I may see from them where the trouble lies.
Thanks again, all the help I get is put to notes, maybe I can pass along some of everyone’s knowledge.