Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2022, 11:08 AM   #1
fast fredy

Default generator lamp

Hi guys , on my all original 55 wagon the generator lamp wont come on , checked the bulb seems all good there, check battery voltage at battery with running seems OK 6.8 or6.9 , but no light before staring ... Not sure how this set up works thanks Fred
fast fredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 12:38 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: generator lamp

Power comes to the "Gen" bulb socket from the On/Run/Coil terminal of the Ignition switch, a Black wire with a green stripe.
The other wire from the bulb socket, Yellow with a black stripe, goes to the Armature terminal of the voltage regulator.
If you remove that small Yellow/black wire from its connection on the regulator, ground it to the body and turn the ignition key On, the bulb should light up.
Switch off, and reconnect the wire to the "A" terminal of the voltage regulator. Report the result.

If it doesn't light up; the bulb or wiring could be open/disconnected somewhere. Possibly a burned out bulb or loose corroded connections in the bulb socket? Fyi, there is no (factory) fuse in the circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Generator voltage regulator wiring, '55 + ground.jpg (42.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Gen_bulb_socket[1].jpg (66.6 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-12-2022 at 10:13 AM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:38 PM   #3
fast fredy

dmsfrr .. Thanks so much for your help.. Your answer led me in the right direction, Im embarassed to say that I was checking the wrong bulb. so when you said it had 2 wires I knew I had the wrong bulb, the one I was checking only had one Even more embarasing is the fact that the bulb/socket had come out of the socket ... Thats what happens when your 72 and try to avoid getting right under there Thanks again for your prompt reply and now I know how they are wired Fred
Old 05-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
dmsfrr

No harm, no foul.
I've been successfully avoiding the dash cluster in my '55 (T-Bird) for several years now.
The Fuel and Temp gauges don't work even tho I have replacement gauges and a wiring harness for the car in a box on a shelf.
Taking the seat out and dash apart is waiting for more enthusiasm on my part.
70 just recently happened over here.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-11-2022 at 03:37 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 03:07 PM   #5
fast fredy

I found that with the seat unbolted and moved back worked OK it avoided removing the seat completely / its a heavy sucker Today I was in ,the same position thought I might need help getting out thanks again Fred
Old 05-12-2022, 08:40 PM   #6
Anteek29

I recently had the same issue with an unlit oil pressure light. Traced every possibility from bulb to sender. Turned out to be a failed sender. But at 80 years it was h**l to be poking under the dash! No, I did not bother to remove the seat.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote