Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
ossieandgeorge

Default Wood rot - wood hardener

Looking for recommendations on fixing some wood rot.
What wood hardener should I use and can I then glue(type) and/or fill(type) the damaged area after a wood hardener has been applied and dried?
Also, should I treat the area with a fungicide and at what step in the repair process?

Last edited by ossieandgeorge; 12-28-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: update
ossieandgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
shew01

Default Re: Wood rot - wood hardener

Please check out this thread.

Repair of Soft Wood
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:18 AM   #3
Oldbluoval

Are you attempting to stabilize to hold nails and/or screws. If so, forget it ....never had acceptable results to me
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
77Birdman

There are some chemical products that are supposed to do exactly what youre asking. I think some may even work. Dont know the names but Im sure a search will come up with something. I am a woodworker before a car guy and for me the best way to fix rot is to replace. I once did a historic renovation of a 19th century bldg that the architect spec'd one of the chemical products for window sill repair. After a few failed attempts (and knowing better) we ended up replacing with new wood.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
1930artdeco

I used a marine hardener on my rain gutter boards. It does work as it hardened the wood right up. Now I just went deep enough for the nail length but it seemed to work. Then I used an epoxy to fill in the holes and then renailed the gutters on. They are still very tight in the wood. Word of caution though-the hardener is very thin (think water) so you will have to use towels to keep it off your paint-ask me how I know.

Mike
Old 12-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #6
Ed in Maine

After you have replaced to repair, what would be the best method for long term protection of the wood such as wood sills? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Ken, is there any chance that you can remove the damaged wood now and use it as a sample to have a local cabinetmaker fabricate it for you instead of waiting?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Synchro909

One of this forum's members makes this stuff. Look up SAJ. He is in New Zealand.
Old 12-28-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
SAJ

SAJ here Synchro. We make fillers for rotten and broken wood in houses. For cosmetic and weathering purposes but not for structural or strength repairs.
We just developed a water based wood hardener called Rot-Fix. This penefrates softened timbers and polymerises as it dries into a modified methacrylate (perspex-type) polymer. Then our Builders Bog flexible polyester filler will bond to the hardened timber to replace the missing sections for a paintable finish.
Rot-Fix also water proofs good timbers and I have used it for this purpose too. When I get time I intend to penetrate and water proof the timber in our Tudor header rail , which is dried out and has loose screws.
Wood fillers are thixotropic (anti-slump) so very hard to sqeeze into small holes and Brett's method of toothpicks or dowels and glue is what I use for loose screws.
The same epoxy resin (most resin part A's from different manufacturers are similar) can be used with 50 or more different hardeners to give many different properties. But they are not available in hardware stores unfortunately - only to epoxy resin compounders like my 2 companies and JB Chemicals etc. Very flexible and even stretchy epoxy compounds can be made which hold nails well, but are not sold at retail and I am not aware of any available brand names.
Someone pointed out that in repairing or hardening rotted wood you are not reforming cellulose fibre-reinforced timber, but possibly mostly polymer-hardened fungus spores and other detritus from the rotting process.
Wood is a very clever product of nature and hard to emulate. Our best efforts are glass fibre composites.
Our Builders Bog filler contains tiny rubber bubbles which grip nails well, but has no fibre reinforcement for flexural strength like timber does. That is why it is intended for cosmetic and weathering repairs only. We make a fibre reinforced repair putty for steel called Newtech Repairer (in Australia we brand it Turbo Metal Bog). It is polyester based not epoxy and again I suspect not suitable for wood repair in a Model A, though I have not actually tried it. Epoxies are intrinsically more adhesive than polyesters. A fibre reinforced penetrating epoxy would be interesting for a strength repair on Model A timber, but would not be can-stable since it would separate on standing. Those made to remain stable need thixotropy as mentioned above, which then spoils the penetrative part needed for good strength build up in broken timbers. And pure epoxies are very difficult to file, plane or sand to shape. The West systems ones that can be profiled lose most of their flexural strength in making them sandable.
I think there are places in Model A timber which could repair well with scarfed-in new timber and good epoxy resins, but once proper access has been gained for a repair it may be easier to replace a whole piece rather than repair the old.
I should add I have minimal experience of the internal timbers in Model A's since out Tudor and Roadster are still in good condition.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 12-28-2020 at 05:59 PM.
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:31 PM   #10
Synchro909

SAJ, I recalled you telling me about your latest product and thought it would do this job. Maybe I didn't get my head around it properly.
I have used a number of your products and found them to be excellent - better than the big name ones.