Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM   #1
Karl

Default Ebay -1934 Radio -Turnsignal

Gosh Ebay is strange. I have been searching for a 34 Ashtray radiohead . My car is RHD so the standard ashtray radio won't fit easily. The control cable mounts being on the wrong side of the radio box. However I have found a US company called Turnswitch who can modify the head (or at least have done so with a 35 head) by putting electrical controls on the back of the radio head which would make fitment much easier as no cables and an electrical connection to the radio unit My plan would be to use the radio box to hold a modern radio.

http://www.turnswitch.com/radio1.htm

I have tried to buy two 34 radio heads one went for $155 and was really rough one was nice and went for over $400 (just for the head ) . In the last few days I found a good head and radio box listed at $325 I throw one bid at it , with no expectation of winning and end up owning it. Crazy

Has anyone dealt with Turnswitch (to date they have not replied to my emails ) or have any recommendations regards any one else who could do the same job

Karl
Old 05-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
mrtexas

Default Re: Ebay -1934 Radio -Turnsignal

Yes I've dealt with them. They can also install a small AM/FM radio the size of a pack of cigarettes in an empty 34 box for you hooked up to your head unit. The AM/FM unit they sell now is very nice(the one they used to sell was miserable and wouldn't keep the radio tuned in after it was turned off and back on again, tuning was also difficult in that there was no static to tell you when you were close. These problems fixed now and I have one of their improved versions). I did that in my 36 woodie. If I were you I'd ship them the head and box. Recall it is around $700 for the conversion with your original buttons controlling everything. Their self cancelling turn signal switch is also very nice, IMHO the best one out there on the market and also includes built in emergency flasher. The cancelling is done by time, the timer is interrupted while at a red light. Very cool! For my 41 I hid the cheap $150 marine remote controlled radio in an empty heater box and cut the back off the 41 radio to fit in the electric wipers.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
hop up

Karl, the Hamb had a thread on about installing a modern radio into a vintage car. It was a old thread that keeps on getting updated along with technology as it changes daily.
I dig the 35 36 dash radio till I see cost and will use my 36 radio as a column controller for the amp on my Spotify system.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:12 PM   #4
koates

Karl, Your original 34 ash tray radio box can be mounted in the same place that it was mounted in a left hand drive car and that way the control head cables will still connect up as they were designed to do. The glove box will still fit in ok. There is a reproduced Ford brochure with the fitting instructions available. That way it is an all original fit up in keeping with your cars originality. A friend of mine here in Victoria has one fitted up for many years. My 34 RHD has the glove box radio fitted. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #5
Bursonaw

I have the Electro-tech turn switch in both my cars and they are an excellent addition to safety and function.

I also just had them modify my 36 radio head. They did an excellent job. I worked with Greg and he was very knowledgeable.

On a side note I had an older turn switch that was malfunctioning and was out of warranty. They replaced it with another unit at no additional cost to me. Outstanding customer service!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:31 AM   #6
mrtexas

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Can you post a link to your ebay item?