Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2017, 10:17 AM   #21
midgetracer

Default Re: Classic Car Insurance

I have had American Collectors for many years (at least 15) and I have had one claim. Their response and the way they settled the claim was better than any claim settlement I have gotten from my daily driver insurance companies. I have 8 cars insured through American Collectors and only pay liability for one car. the rest are covered automatically. The rates seem very fair and I have no plans of shopping. The real test of an insurance company is when you have a claim. I deal with them directly and it has no connection to my daily driver insurance.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #22
SeaSlugs

Does anyone know of a good company that would insure a running frame? It is titled in my name and up to date license plates for it but not road worthy. I'm worried about a tornado, fire, garage collapsing on it etc...
Old 01-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #23
tbirdtbird
BANNED

last i knew Hagerty was insuring on-going builds
their minimum valuation to insure is 5K
Old 01-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #24
Dick Steinkamp

Grundy also insures work in progress. You might also check your existing home owner's insurance.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #25
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
Grundy also insures work in progress. You might also check your existing home owner's insurance.
Yea I was curious about the home owners insurance - its at my moms house but the AA is only in my name and I dont live there so curious on that scenario too haha.

I wonder when they consider a car a car and not just a pile of parts...
Old 01-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #26
ronn

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I wonder when they consider a car a car and not just a pile of parts.

pretty sure you can insure just about anything, it's just about being on the same page as your insurance co.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:03 PM   #27
coupe1942

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
seems like a very odd requirement and unreasonable. This is America. You should be able to get your insurance any where you want.
The classics and the dailies are unrelated to each other in any way
Actually it is a fairly common practice. Same thing happens at USAA when you try to insure a motorcycle and are directed to Progressive. It has nothing to do with what vehicle is related as you mentioned, but is how the individual company decides to handle the insurance policies as they choose. You don't just get health insurance where you wish either as the same thing applies in that industry too, so being America or not, this is the business practice of the companies and not dictated by the wishes and desires of the people when it comes to how they conduct business. It is not really an odd requirement at all as the companies are in business to "succeed" as they see fit. You may not like it personally and find it unfair, but if so, the other options are to find an insurance company that suits you or start up your own.

Me, I was also directed to use American Collectors from my USAA carrier. Been doing that for this current Model A pickup I own and for my old tudor I had 10 years back. Same company for insurance on both. No claims ever filed and no problems from them in the least, otherwise. Both old Fords were daily drivers and the rules for those are somewhat varied from insurance company to insurance company. I think we are pretty blessed that the states are not so rigid in allowing a vehicle of classic age to even be on the road as a daily driver, myself.

I am not purposely trying to start up an argument in this thread which can turn it political, but stating what you indicated is not correct as to how the auto insurance industry works and how it is applied. Being "fair" or "getting what you want" as an American is not anymore a right in the auto insurance business as any other. You can choose to pick your company for yourself if you don't like it or go elsewhere, but that is about the limit of your choices.

As to how good or how bad this insurance carrier actually is with processed claims is not something I can say as I never had one to file. Same was true when i had Progressive over the years for my sidecar rig. There are differences between companies as to how you insure the worth or value of replacement for your vehicle so I suppose that could be a factor as to which one you ultimately choose. USAA does not force you to choose only Progressive or American Collectors, but they do guide you to them when you contact them to insure your vintage auto or motorcycle. As with anything, research and make your choice wisely for the best deal you can find.

Last edited by coupe1942; 01-12-2017 at 03:31 PM.
coupe1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #28
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have had American Collectors insurance for the past 15 years. They have different levels of insurance. The basic insurance policy covers your stated value of your A. It also contains a lower level of liability insurance. The most they normally offer in liability insurance is a $300,000 limit. However, they can and will offer up $500,00 in liability insurance if the policy is connected to an umbrella policy. I have the $500,000 liability from American Collectors and a $1,000,000 umbrella policy from Farmers Insurance. Farmers requires a $500,000 liability coverage from American Collectors in order to add my A to the umbrella policy. A word of caution: the price of American Collectors annual premium goes up considerably (to about $300+) for the higher liability coverage. Hope this explains and helps. You will need to call American Collectors and have an underwriter draft your $500,000 liability policy.

Last edited by Dick M; 01-12-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #29
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I learned a valuable lesson a month ago. I asked Liberty Mutual for a quote on my modern car, and they wanted my email to send the quote. The low lifes sold my email address to every spammer they could find, and now I'm getting crap all the time, where I never had any before.
No more email quotes for me.
How do you know they sold it? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #30
TerryO

[QUOTE][One mentioned about we being in America and being able to purchase insurance anywhere. Ahahahah. Try that with health insurance ! Its illegal to buy/sell across state lines. /QUOTE]

Not for long
Quote:
I have 8 cars insured through American Collectors and only pay liability for one car. the rest are covered automatically
Same with Hagerty.
Quote:
Yea I was curious about the home owners insurance - its at my moms house but the AA is only in my name and I dont live there so curious on that scenario too haha
I seriously doubt if you can find any home owners policy to cover an automobile.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #31
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I seriously doubt if you can find any home owners policy to cover an automobile.

TerryO
yea thats why i need to call them and find out when they consider a car a car and not just a pile of parts...
Old 01-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #32
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

"It is titled in my name and up to date license plates"

but not road worthy would fall into an off the road auto and insured under different rates.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:31 AM   #33
Dick Carne

I'd move away from J. C. Taylor as quickly as possible. They are great at accepting premium payments, but based on my experience, terrible with claims. Good luck whatever you decide.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #34
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

You might take a look at National Corvette Museum Insurance. They use American Modern Ins group. I was with Haggerty who is just great, but I saved over $100 for my two cars. I had to move. I'm the only one in our club to change. I'm the test case. No claims so I don't know how they respond, but I have stayed with them. I paid $296 for my two cars for this year. They are a small outfit and easy to get hold of.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #35
emf

I have been with American Collectors since I was 25 years old, that's 41 years with the same company. I have stated value on three cars that amounts to almost $100,000. I also have trip interruption insurance for $39 per year that covers any cost going to a show that may be not be retrievable. All three cars cost me just under $400 a year. I've never had a claim, but I am a very loyal customer and I like their customer service.

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #36
harleynut

I to had American Collectors for years until they got a little to expensive so I went with Hagerty
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:20 PM   #37
Jeff/Illinois

In comparing rates one thing I never paid much attention to, was my Mach 1 Mustang, valued at a LOT more $$ than my '30 Model A, is a great deal cheaper to insure.

You'd think a 60's Muscle Car would cost more money but in my case the Model A is costing more.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #38
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
In comparing rates one thing I never paid much attention to, was my Mach 1 Mustang, valued at a LOT more $$ than my '30 Model A, is a great deal cheaper to insure.

You'd think a 60's Muscle Car would cost more money but in my case the Model A is costing more.
I sure never heard of that before. When I added my 1950 Studebaker to my Grundy insurance for my 28 Model A, I expected it to just add a few dollars extra. After all, you can only drive one at a time, and usually adding a second car doesn't add much to the bill. In my case the premium more than doubled and I called them to ask why. They said the Studebaker being post war was in a different class. I still don't get it, because an 85 HP engine in a 2800 pound car is no speed buggy.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 PM   #39
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

That would make sense if the Mustang was added to the policy that the Model A was on. Adding a second car is usually not much additional since the liability is already baked in to the first car's premium (you can't drive more than one at a time).

Tom's experience is more of a mystery to me.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #40
Mitch//pa
BANNED

If its an AGREED value policy the premiums on more than one vehicle would be independent of each other..(each premium being affected by the amount requested). i dont believe agreed value policy's offer a multivehicle discount...

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-14-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote