Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-12-2016, 04:38 AM   #1
mikhett

Default 1962 Galaxie windshield removal.

whats the best way to approach this.I know the SS molding is imbedded in the rubber gasket.Should I poke a hole and use piano wire cutting thru the rubber?
mikhett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:49 AM   #2
5851a

Default Re: 1962 Galaxie windshield removal.

Do you have a new gasket? Hard to say without seeing what your up against. If I had a new gasket I would try to see if from inside of the car I could cut the old one where if folds over the flange and allow windshield to be pushed out. I'd try to look at a shop manual if possible too. Try any the above at your own risk. Glass is so touchy. I've pushed them out and had them fall on the ground without breaking and the next one crack all the way across with the slightest push. Fragility is multiplied by lack of availability.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
bobss396

Unless the gasket is pliable and soft, I replace them when I change a windshield or back glass. I cut them out with a utility knife from the inside of the car. The one in my '59 was badly cracked, so I didn't have to be careful with it.

Remove all the inside trim and mask off anything you don't want sliced up. Once you see the metal lip all the way around, it should push out easily.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
JeffB2

Check out the videos like this one,same principle applies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdSSa1Mzhs
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
frank long island

I second the cutting from inside if you try to pull the moldings you will surely damage them when reinstalling use para cord / 1/4inch cotton clothes line in the channel of gasket also when I had my jeep done the installer used a little sealer in the gasket to make up for any unevenness in frame I just used black silicone on my ranchero. a good razor knife or 2 will do the trick you do not have to cut the bottom if you cut all the way around you can use it as a hinge to push the glass out for added protection place a few pieces of duct tape on rubber to body on bottom so it doesn't slip out
frank long island is offline   Reply With Quote