Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2021, 11:44 AM   #1
Fords-R-US

Default T-85 with R-11 OD Output Shaft Slip Yoke

My first posting so I want to start with my appreciation for the opportunity to discuss what I love doing as a hobby with those that share a similar interest but also have significantly more experience and knowledge in this area. I am currently building a 57 2 door Custom sedan and purchased a 56 Mercury T-85-1A 3 speed transmission with R-11-1E OD. This T-85 transmission combination with a R-11 OD is for heavy duty applications, as I understand. The output shaft is the larger 1-3/8" diameter shaft with 16 spline and a yoke sleeve OD of approximately 1.65" to match the rear seal ID. My issue is finding this drive line front slip yoke to fit this transmission. I believe the Ford P/N for the slip yoke is B6S-4841-A based on readings of previous posts by a several members in this forum. The slip yoke fits several applications but this transmission was in a 56 Mercury according to the seller. He misplaced the driveshaft with the original slip yoke. Any recommendations relative to locating one of these rare yokes would be very much appreciated. Thanks for your time in advance.
Fords-R-US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: T-85 with R-11 OD Output Shaft Slip Yoke

This thread says a C6 yoke will fit.
http://forums.y-blocksforever.com/Topic37555-2.aspx

Jegs has them, probably others also.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:06 PM   #3
Fords-R-US

Thanks for the quick response. I will follow up and let you know how it turned out. Much appreciated.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #4
Fords-R-US

My T-85C-1 with R-11-1E OD is a 56 Mercury transmission or better said a 16 spline version with the following applications (according to previous posts):
16 Spline Applications:
57 passenger car and Police Interceptor with OD Trans.
57 Station Wagon with OD or 57 Four door with OD
57 Fairlane with Super Charger
55-57 Mercury
56 T Bird with OD
In 57-58 and beyond model years the T-85C went to finer splines 28 or 31. The C-6 I believe is 31 spline so it will work on some T-85C's but not mine since it is a 56 model year with 16 spline.

I do appreciate the info. I had actually read this info months ago but had forgotten about it. Thanks again for bringing this info to my attention.
Old 02-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #5
bobss396

Speedway carries a ton of transmission yokes, look there if you strike out. You have to keep it in the right series so it will match your driveshaft. You probably have a 1310 in the '57 Ford. You can easily measure what you have.

Shopping for u-joints, look up a PDF version of the Car Quest u-joint catalog. That has a couple of sections that shows you a lot of good information. As well as cross references between manufacturers.
bobss396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #6
Fords-R-US

Thanks bobss396 for the info. I appreciate the help. I plan to build a new driveshaft due to length increase with the trans swap to the T-85C with R-11 OD over the existing 3 speed without OD and I also agree 1310 would be best u-joint arrangement. I will check out Speedway and let you know.

Thanks again for the help.

Ken
Old 02-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #7
rotorwrench

In this day and age it may be easier to source by spline count, OD of shaft, OD of slip yoke, and length needed. Keep in mind that a longer one can be shortened without too muck hassle.

I don't have Mercury specific parts information for the 1956 Mercury but I know that they used a different rear axle than the Ford cars did. It was a beefed up version of the previous Dana rear axles so they were a bit heavier duty than the Ford models and they had the 312 V8. The Thunderbird and Ford models may use the same slip yoke but I can't confirm that. Ford cars used the 259 series and T86 series transmissions for a long time before changing to a heavier duty unit like was used in the T-birds. A lot depended on what the engine application was.

When FE and MEL engines came on line in later years, it changed things again.

Post Script: I did confirm that Ford & Mercury use the same knuckle & plug for 56 & 57 but the parts book doesn't give dimensions.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-10-2021 at 05:24 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:16 PM   #8
Fords-R-US

Thanks rotorwrench for the input. This 56 MercuryT-85 transmission combination with a R-11 OD is for heavy duty applications and were used in 57 Fords with 3 speed transmission and R-11 OD. The R-11 output shaft is the larger 1-3/8" diameter shaft with 16 spline and a yoke sleeve OD of approximately 1.685" to match the rear seal ID. The length is 4 " but as you indicated I can machine a longer yoke as needed. My issue is finding this particular drive line front slip yoke to fit this specific transmission. The 16 spline (pre 57 design by Mercury) and the 1.685" OD yoke to accommodate the larger 1.375" diameter output shaft appear to be a somewhat unique and rare combination. I believe the Ford P/N for the slip yoke is B6S-4841-A based on readings of previous posts by a several members in this forum. I have seen and in fact purchased one of the 16 spline that is approximately 1.49" in diameter for a smaller shaft. This yoke was for 3 speed with R-10 OD, I believe. They are available but it won't fit the R-11OD with the 1.375" diameter shaft.

I have looked at a number of yoke suppliers but I just haven't found one yet. The next option would be to go to the T-85C with the R-11 that is the later 28 spline output shaft for the 58 FE motors. I just hate to give up on this correct 57 transmission.

Thanks again for the info and comments.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #9
Tomjc

I know what you are going thru. It took me 2 years to find that same yoke, and then I found another one. The yoke is a Spicer with C-2.3.249 on the reverse side. mine has a 5 1/4 inch long shaft. The inside spline is recessed about 1.060 from the end.
Tomjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
KULTULZ

Post Re: T-85 with R-11 OD Output Shaft Slip Yoke

If the below info can help anyone -

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
rotorwrench

You might call Denny's. They have some for 1310 U-joint and 1 3/8" shaft 16-spline.
https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p23..._16_splin.html

The last of the T85 ODs was the T-85N R11 with the nodular case. These work just fine behind a 390FE motor. They were used in pickups into the early 70s and are the strongest ones made.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-14-2021 at 12:55 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:27 PM   #12
Fords-R-US

First of all let me start by saying that I very much each and every response to my outreach for info on a transmission slip yoke for a 16 spline 1.375" output shaft on an R-11 overdrive.

I have looked high and low for this slip yoke and my lengthy quest is not over yet but at least my options are increasing due to all of your experience and knowledge. I really want to use this 56 Mercury T-85C transmission because I want to be period correct for my 57 Ford 2 door Custom sedan build with a stroker 330 cu in Y block but it has been a painful journey thus far.

With all of you suggestions I am closer now and I thank you for that. I will follow up on all my new info from KULTULZ, Tomjc and rororwrench but until I have one in hand that I can slip onto the transmission, my quest continues. I will let you know when I get there and pass on the extent of my education on this issue.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:41 PM   #13
Brushwolf

I have I believe four of the T85 OD's and one is a 56 Merc, the others as far as I recall are 58 and 61-2 Galaxie. The Merc one is quite a bit longer than the rest, for whatever reason..
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Brushwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
If the below info can help anyone -
Does anyone know if the Merc automatic trans yoke was the same as the T85? I have a 56 Merc and have a 1994 351w and matching C6 on the engine run stand that I plan to install That C6 takes a Trans yoke from a pickup, so I might not need the yoke from the automatic in the car.
Brushwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:32 PM   #15
KULTULZ

Post Re: T-85 with R-11 OD Output Shaft Slip Yoke

YES - Either takes the B6SZ 4841-A (1956-57)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRANS - Yoke- Driveshaft - 1956-59 MERC.jpg (21.9 KB, 90 views)

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:10 AM   #16
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fords-R-US View Post
First of all let me start by saying that I very much each and every response to my outreach for info on a transmission slip yoke for a 16 spline 1.375" output shaft on an R-11 overdrive.

I have looked high and low for this slip yoke and my lengthy quest is not over yet but at least my options are increasing due to all of your experience and knowledge. I really want to use this 56 Mercury T-85C transmission because I want to be period correct for my 57 Ford 2 door Custom sedan build with a stroker 330 cu in Y block but it has been a painful journey thus far.

With all of you suggestions I am closer now and I thank you for that. I will follow up on all my new info from KULTULZ, Tomjc and rororwrench but until I have one in hand that I can slip onto the transmission, my quest continues. I will let you know when I get there and pass on the extent of my education on this issue.

Again, thanks for the help.
Could this be the one ? https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p12...ries_16_s.html
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #17
Tomjc

I sent you a private message and I never heard back, I have the yoke you need message me and I can send it to you and if it works I will take $100.
Tomjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
CrownVic55

The Spicer yoke that Tomjc mentioned C-2-3-249 is the same number as is in my T85-R11 from a 57 Ford. Should have been original equipment on the 57.
CrownVic55 is offline   Reply With Quote