Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #21
McMimmcs

Default Re: Birthday present

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Yes, you can reason its only a car, but it belongs to someone and that should be respected. I do not expect for my car to be hit when I drive it, and I dont anticipate hitting someone elses car either. I was brought up to respect others property and respect myself.

Its a shame this has happened. Very well may have just been a gawker, then when they turned around they hit the car, panicked and took off. The decent thing would have been to at least leave a note. I wish this was the first time I have seen something like this, and it probably wont be the last. Hope the ins. will cover. Im not sure mine would.

My wife was working at a school, and backed into a car. Scratch on the plastic bumper but no deflection. She left a note. We got a call from the person she hit ( a coworker) and that 'bump' did many thousands of dollars of damage, from the front bumper to rusted spots on the rear. I gave them my ins. info and never heard anything again.
That’s why I asked why at the big box store in the A. In many cases insurance will not cover but you can see the answer I got!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #22
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
Yes, you can reason its only a car, but it belongs to someone and that should be respected. I do not expect for my car to be hit when I drive it, and I dont anticipate hitting someone elses car either. I was brought up to respect others property and respect myself.

Its a shame this has happened. Very well may have just been a gawker, then when they turned around they hit the car, panicked and took off. The decent thing would have been to at least leave a note. I wish this was the first time I have seen something like this, and it probably wont be the last. Hope the ins. will cover. Im not sure mine would.

My wife was working at a school, and backed into a car. Scratch on the plastic bumper but no deflection. She left a note. We got a call from the person she hit ( a coworker) and that 'bump' did many thousands of dollars of damage, from the front bumper to rusted spots on the rear. I gave them my ins. info and never heard anything again.
Bird most everyone on the boards were raised that way, I was..the golden rule,be polite,love your family and country..times have changed.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 08:27 PM   #23
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Sorry to see that. It happens to me in my modern cars all the time in parking lots.

My suggestion is to take off the fender and take it to a body shop and have it straightened out and repainted. It will cost a few hundred dollars.

Fortunately, people here in North Carolina are more respectful of old cars than in California. One of the reasons I like it here better.
I would suggest you do not take the fender off for any body work. Doing so runs a risk of it not fitting when returned. Do the hammer and dolly work with the fender bolted in place, then take it off to be painted.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:07 PM   #24
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I would suggest you do not take the fender off for any body work. Doing so runs a risk of it not fitting when returned. Do the hammer and dolly work with the fender bolted in place, then take it off to be painted.
Obviously the man has been there and done that. Pay attention to the master!
Old 02-20-2021, 10:43 PM   #25
CarlG

I had that happen to me (not in my Model A though). Even though there was a witness that had a complete description including license #, they still got off scot free. They caved in the door panel, I got to eat it!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:09 PM   #26
700rpm

My son-in-law once stated that he would just drive away if he ever hit a car in a parking lot and no one was around. I don’t like him, I don’t trust him, and I haven’t spoken to him or visited my daughter in their home for over five years. He’s arrogant, and he was raised with too much money, too much sense of entitlement, too little ethical grounding.

Old 02-21-2021, 08:01 AM   #27
Oldbluoval

Nowadays that would lead to gun play.(the 40 year ago valve posting)
Sad but true
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #28
Chris in WNC

This is a risk we must be wiling to take in return for the pleasure of driving our As.
Keep your insurance paid up and don't let it spoill your enjoyment too much.....
Old 02-21-2021, 09:14 AM   #29
Dean Lemoine

A few thoughts and comments:

Why did I drive my Model A to a big box store in the middle of winter?
It was a beautiful North Georgia day. There’s nothing that keeps me from doing that, insurance or otherwise.
Did I check security cameras? For a variety of reasons I chose not to. I only hope and pray this person’s conscious catches up with them.
I too was raised to respect other people and their property. Sadly this seems to be going away in today’s world.
Did it bother me that this happened? Absolutely, but life’s too short and precious to let it drag on. I’ll fix it myself and move on. I built it to drive and enjoy and we’re certainly doing that.
Why did I title this post “Happy Birthday”?
It’s this week. Weather permitting, we’ll take the car our for a drive ...... maybe a picnic.
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:15 AM   #30
KGBnut

That's terrible. I never think twice about driving my Model A anywhere any time of the year, but mine is not restored. It shows every nick and dent of its 90 years.

The one thing I would recommend is fix it, fix it quick, and move on. Otherwise, it will eat at you every time you walk by your car and see it.

Ken
Old 02-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #31
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine View Post
A few thoughts and comments:

Why did I drive my Model A to a big box store in the middle of winter?
It was a beautiful North Georgia day. There’s nothing that keeps me from doing that, insurance or otherwise.
Did I check security cameras? For a variety of reasons I chose not to. I only hope and pray this person’s conscious catches up with them.
I too was raised to respect other people and their property. Sadly this seems to be going away in today’s world.
Did it bother me that this happened? Absolutely, but life’s too short and precious to let it drag on. I’ll fix it myself and move on. I built it to drive and enjoy and we’re certainly doing that.
Why did I title this post “Happy Birthday”?
It’s this week. Weather permitting, we’ll take the car our for a drive ...... maybe a picnic.
If he didn’t stop the first time, he’s not coming back ! Fix the car and hope the same person is not in the same parking lot on your next birthday.
Life goes on!
Old 02-21-2021, 11:50 AM   #32
jb-ob

Dean,

You have my sympathies but this time next year it will be a small bump on your road of life. Fix it quickly and let your pride recover.

Maybe a good thing you weren't a witness. A fender bender is one thing, assault charges & court ordered anger management classes are another.

Accept the fact every time we leave the driveway, we are a target.

I knew Scotty, a young guy working in a body shop. Arriving at 6:30 every AM would put the coffee on and while waiting for the crew to arrive would wash his car. Not an exceptional car but it was his, & he liked a clean car.

Best that was determined afterwards, driving home one evening Scotty got rear ended. Scotty got out of his car as did probably the other driver. Words probably flew and the driver hit Scotty and took off. Scotty was found dead lying in the road behind his idling car. No one was ever caught.

Best, jb
jb-ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:41 PM   #33
big job

My cabin fever lets me reply. I don't care a T a A or a new rice burner. You go to your insurance and for a fender bender its the big NOPE. So what in hell I pay you like a

tooth ache every month?? get out the hammer and dolly they always win you always

lose. CROOKS
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #34
McMimmcs

By the way did you report it to the police?
Old 02-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #35
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
Mike Peters has it right, no insurance, no money, and no morals. I sit at stop lights and count the cars with obvious expired tags and bet that most of them also have no insurance. Uninsured motorist is more important today than ever before.
Where are the cops if there are so many unregistered and uninsured cars?
I know your system is different from ours but here, EVERY police car is fitted with number plate scanners which alert the officers in real time if the car is unregistered (we don't use tags) or if there is a warrant for the owner etc.
What is the penalty for driving an unregistered car over there? Here, it varies state to state and no doubt so too over there but in this state, it is a fine of about $1,000 and the loss of several demerit points. Once a driver has lost and accumulated 12 demerit points within 3 years, their license is suspended - no ifs, no buts unless they buy a delay in the suspension. If they go that route and lose another point, the suspension is doubled.
The same sort of thing happens here too in car parks. Jerks are everywhere.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:36 PM   #36
Charlie Stephens

After you are through with your insurance company apply a little black paint over the primer that shows. Not a permanent solution but it will let you relax a little until you have time to do it right.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:49 PM   #37
TerryO

Quote:
Where are the cops if there are so many unregistered and uninsured cars?

I don't know about other areas but around here the drivers are also illegal.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #38
McMimmcs

A pretty easy crime to solve for a rookie police person. Review the video, trace the plate and go knock on the door. Citation for leaving scene of an accident and judge orders restitution.

Last edited by McMimmcs; 02-21-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:24 AM   #39
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
I don't know about other areas but around here the drivers are also illegal.

TOB
Wouldn't that mean that no insurance company would touch them. If there is a problem, how are injuries to others paid for?
That is all included in the registration fee here and an unregistered car on the road is rare. Even if the other driver shouldn't be on the road, anyone injured on the road is covered, pedestrians, cyclists, the lot.
Seems to me from afar, that if there are so many like that, the police are failing to do their job but as I said, I realise our two systems are different.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:06 AM   #40
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
My cabin fever lets me reply. I don't care a T a A or a new rice burner. You go to your insurance and for a fender bender its the big NOPE. So what in hell I pay you like a

tooth ache every month?? get out the hammer and dolly they always win you always lose. CROOKS

Maybe you just have the wrong insurance company.

Two years ago I made a $900 claim on a fender bender with my 29 coupe to Hagerty. Sent pictures. No problems. Paid promptly.

Same thing with my Honda Accord last year with GEICO and an $1800 claim.