Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2020, 06:14 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default Good day, ended with a laugh

Had a good productive few days today, made a set of heavy benches to store my spare blocks on and under, was cleaning up at the end of the day and loading the rubbish into my 28ccpu for the tip, also put in my shed fire extenquisers to drop of at the shop to be checked and refilled, while loading the blue one for the dragster (methanol) I accidentally set it off and sprayed foam all aver the back and doors of the A, a good mess to clean up,
Benches turned out good though.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Good day, ended with a laugh

Can you post pictures of the benches? I've got a few engines to get off the floor at dads and am looking for ideas.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Lawrie

Will do sometime today
Lawrie
Old 12-06-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Talkwrench

I was on the phone to Lawrie just after it happened.. He took it in good humor but we do need the pics Lawrie
Old 12-06-2020, 11:25 PM   #5
Lawrie

Took the extinguishers to the shop this morning ,GOOD job I dad as the one that went off in the back of the pickup was one of the ones filled with some stuff called P fat orD fat or something, this is the stuff the airforce used as a fire fighting foam and poisoned the water ways around Katherine and Amberly Air Force bases.
I had to pay to get it disposed of, plus the other old ones I had, so after that and buying new ones for the shop and 33 and 34 $520 thank you
Lawrie
Old 12-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #6
McMimmcs

We should learn to laugh at our mistakes. Why do anything else. Have a better day tomorrow. Regards, Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
fortyonerag

Always a good idea to keep the red bottles current, and they're not really that expensive.

I like to carry one in the car - helped a bloke stop a truck fire from catching a while back.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
Als48

I had a thermal emergency recently, while mowing with my '54 Ford Jubilee tractor. It has a leak around the valve cover and leaks oils fairly badly. When it gets hot, the oil will ignite from the exhaust manifold I suppose. Anyway it caught fire at the front and rear of the valve cover one day and I had a small extinguisher of the pressurized CO2 type I think. It had been used and not recharged, but I assumed it still had some propellant. It did not and no matter how hard I shook it, I could only get a small amount of powder to fall out!

Well now, this small fire quickly became a major concern, as the fumes from the vented gas cap had now ignited! I usually carry some water to add to the leaky radiator, but had none and was about an eighth mile from my house, creek or pond as a source of water. I beat out the flames at the gas cap with my hat and ran to the creek where I had left a couple of gallons of water I could get to. Not an easy run for me at 74 yrs, and had to walk back as quickly as I dared to avoid further complications.

When I approached the tractor approx. 3-4 minutes later, I was surprised that I didn't see smoke at first, so I assumed the fire hadn't gotten much worse. However, when I raised the hood, the gasoline burst into flames again. Long story shortened, two gallons of water was enough to cool and extinguish the flames, but was a very harrowing experience. I was able to drive it to the house after cooling down, but the ole girl's mowing days are over until I can get the oil leak repaired.

Another close call which turned out ok, but could have been much worse. I was luckily uninjured, as well. Except for my pride and ego, Ha ha.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #9
Mart

Fellow UK YouTube creator Pete C. (Cortina City) had an underhood fire on one of his restored Cortinas. Luckily he realised what was happening and had an extinguisher on board. He was able to put the fire out and limit the damage to the carb and air filter, plus some wiring. Luckily the paint escaped damage. The point of the story is to not only carry an extinguisher but know where it is and know how to deploy it quickly and calmly. Run through the drill a few times so it becomes second nature.

He put a quickie video up here: Off topic vehicle but message is on topic.

https://youtu.be/Obo1M4fBbg4

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
russcc

A note on fire extinguishers for cars/trucks, especially vintage ones. The best extinguisher for virtually any kind of automotive fire is the good old C02. The ABC powder ones make a heck of a mess, almost impossible to clean up in a wiring fire under the dash and other sensitive areas. ABC is good for about nothing at an average of about 14 seconds discharge. The halon ones were a great extinguisher, but were discontinued because of "life safety" issues in enclosed spaces. Other experts might have some more thoughts on the subject.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 08:52 PM   #11
Elmo Rodge

Mart, speaking of Cortinas, about 50 years ago I had one. Driving to work one morning it stopped running. Pulled over, opened the hood (bonnet for you) and gasped when I saw the fire. (Never do that. Trust me.) Put it out with paper coffee cups full of gutter water.
Wayno