Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #1
SteveInMissouri

Default Working to locate some parts.

Hi,

I am looking for a temp sensor and a oil pressure sending unit for a 1956 Mercury 312. Both are the ones that have the two contact blades coming out the top. I am able to find a temp sensor at Mac's but it is $51.00, seems a bit high to me.

Anyway if someone has a good supply house I would really appreciate the name, or web address.

Thank You.
SteveInMissouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Working to locate some parts.

Rock auto shows four types of temp sensor but they all have a threaded stud connector instead of two spades.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+/+sensor,4748
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
Alaska Jim

I do not know about the temp. sensors for all y-blocks , but the ones I have had only have a screw , or stud. the only ones I know with a double blade are the one for a flathead V8, not a y-block. Maybe I will learn something new
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
emf

The temp sensor in my 54 (239 y-block) is the two blade type, but the wire connects to only one blade. Not sure if it is correct, but the gauge seems to work fine...

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:53 PM   #5
paul2748

Ford used the two blade temp senders up and including 1956. They also had a large diameter thread. 57's used a smaller thread unit with either a stud or machine screw for the wire.

AS far as the oil pressure sending unit, check with Dennis Carpenter. I can't see why it would be different then a Ford, but you never know.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #6
dmsfrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Ford used the two blade temp senders up and including 1956. They also had a large diameter thread. 57's used a smaller thread unit with either a stud or machine screw for the wire.

AS far as the oil pressure sending unit, check with Dennis Carpenter. I can't see why it would be different then a Ford, but you never know.
If I remember correctly (haha) some of the earlier engines (Ford flatheads?) had two Temp sensors and one was connected to the other then to the dash gauge, making the need for a sensor with two blade connections. That style was just 'held over' until '57 when things changed. On a pre-'57 Y-Block the additional connection is unused.

The pre-'57 Temp sensors are 3/8 inch tapered pipe thread, and have a longer housing. Starting in '57 the Temp sensors are 1/4 inch pipe thread. Photo below...

All the T-Bird restoration parts houses should have replacement '56 Temp and Oil sensors, unless your Merc has an actual Gauge, not an idiot light for oil pressure. In the Ford vehicles '56 was a one-yr-only dash gauge setup. They operated on actual 12v.
57's and newer use a gauge voltage regulator / reducer in that circuit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '56 & '57 temp sensors c.jpg (35.8 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 05-04-2019 at 12:41 AM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 05:32 AM   #7
KULTULZ

Post Re: Working to locate some parts.

The 56 MERC specifically (not ssure of other application (s) ) used a condenser on the OIL PRESSURE SENDING UNIT (as shown below). It acted as a CVR as used on 57/ model gauges. Without this, the oil pressure gauge will not read correctly. This is the reason for the two spade connector.

I don't have 56 MERC cataloging so i can't help with a PN (The PN ID Stamping will be on the bottom of the condenser).

As for the COOLANT TEMP SW, it should take the B6C 10884-A. It has two spade connectors but is only one pin design. The extra blade is for the system dmsfrr described.

OIL PRESSURE SW - B6A 9278-A

COOLANT TEMP SW - B6C 10884-A
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote