Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
48fordconv

Default Tube type schocks on a 48

I going to install tube type schocks on my 48 Conv. I have a NOS Monroe rear set with brackets, but no instructions. Need help on how they go on. I have the two front upper brackets but don't see how they mount. Do you have to drill holes in frame?? The front axle has holes for bottom stud but I only have 1 stud. Anyplace to buy another?? Thanks for any help.
48fordconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: Tube type schocks on a 48

Steve, most of the kits I've seen for those old cars were made to bolt into the existing frame holes used for the friction shocks. If yours for the front are not like that, let me know because I think I have a set that mount in the original holes for the front. But, I never figured out how they mount on the wishbone side.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
bobH

If your 48 is really a 48, and stock, it is supposed to have tube shocks as OEM. There is a series of articles in old V8 Times that covers all this.
'Course, having said that, there are always exceptions to anything 'ford'.
What I'm trying to get at, you shouldn't need any kits - original 48 parts are generally available at the swaps ???
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Not all '48's have tube shocks, and some lack the boss and hole in axle, too.
I think all do have the frame holes for the stock setup, and stock rear lower mounts will bolt in.
This stuff has suddenly become fairly scarce and pricey, though, and there are more people looking for it for use on A-V8's and such too, people who don't like the look of current streetrod kits.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
Blase

Let me have your number, I just installed tube shocks on my 48.
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #6
Blase

First of all, if you have a car with a boxed rear cross member you have a stock 48 frame in which if you look under the car at the cross member you will see one hole located on each side. This hole is for the bolt that whole on the shock. I can tell you were to get these bolts. As for the front, you have the correct axle because there is a exta hole on each side. What you need is the short brackets that bolt to the frame in the exiting hole of the arm shocks. Note you must have the correct inside fender with the bent in it to allow for the shock bracket.
Blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
Teich

Hi could you tell me where to get the bolts for the upper rear shock mount, startingt to do this to my 48 has the holes in the frame, but the front axle does not have the hole or boss for the lower mount stud there will either drill a hole or make something that will work, i have the frame mounts i belive the Ford ones thanks Laurie
Teich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:34 PM   #8
Garyinauburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blase View Post
First of all, if you have a car with a boxed rear cross member you have a stock 48 frame in which if you look under the car at the cross member you will see one hole located on each side. This hole is for the bolt that whole on the shock. I can tell you were to get these bolts. As for the front, you have the correct axle because there is a exta hole on each side. What you need is the short brackets that bolt to the frame in the exiting hole of the arm shocks. Note you must have the correct inside fender with the bent in it to allow for the shock bracket.
Can you send me the source of the upper rear 48 shock mount bolt?
Thanks, Gary [email protected]
Garyinauburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Marv

Smile Re: Tube type schocks on a 48

Gary i bought mine at Advance Auto Parts. Do not bother to ask for a old Ford shock bolt, they will not know what you are talking about. Ask for a shock mount bolt. I beleive the brand was Dormans and they were around $5 a peice. Marv
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Jim Arnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-Maine View Post
I going to install tube type schocks on my 48 Conv. I have a NOS Monroe rear set with brackets, but no instructions. Need help on how they go on. I have the two front upper brackets but don't see how they mount. Do you have to drill holes in frame?? The front axle has holes for bottom stud but I only have 1 stud. Anyplace to buy another?? Thanks for any help.
Steve, This is a photo of the Houdaille front conversion that I used on my '48 which had the lever arm shocks originally. This was purchased in 1955. The bottom mount for the tube shock went to the same hole on the dual eye perch as the dog bone for the lever shocks. The upper long bracket bolts into the original shock holes. I also remember some metalwork to the inner fender panel to clear the top part of the long bracket. This set-up didn't work with a dropped front axel (interference with the perch eye)and I had to use a Magnum shock conversion that used an axel hole for the bottom mount.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine on crane May '03.jpg (124.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg New shock set-up 1-02-05.jpg (129.3 KB, 58 views)
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote