Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2021, 01:46 AM   #1
Lawrie

Default Burtz engine

My first big drive today in my 28ccpu.with the new Burtz engine and flywheel, 350 stipe cam .6.2 head 97 carb(from my old engine).
only about 180 miles, but some big long hills on the way to and from.
I,m really impressed with how smooth the engine is, how well it goes and oil pressure 35 running and 19=20 at hot idle after a 1 mile long pull up one hill at full throttle,
this was on a 32C day, water temp 85-90c at the top of the long hill ,other wise sat on 75C.
In a short word, I'm am most impressed and thank those who took the time and effort to get these engines to fruition.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:03 AM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: Burtz engine

Great to hear, can't wait to get one to play with.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:38 AM   #3
Synchro909

Lawrie, When will one be going into one of those drag cars?
Old 10-04-2021, 05:37 AM   #4
Lawrie

Arnold, they are nearly all sold, I only have 2 left, but have some more coming.
its as smooth as and will happily sit on 55 or 60 mph ,no OD in the pickup, so 50-52 is as nice as .
all going well here, just been away in the 33 for a 1700 trip and will go out to Quilpie in the 33 and c/van in the next few weeks for a couple of weeks
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
The Austrian

I also looked into buying one of these engines but currently it is above my budget. I really like the idea to have a stock looking engine that hides its upgrades inside where no one can see them.
I guess I just have to keep saving up my money so one day I can affort one of these gems.
The Austrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
Russ/40

Dont assume they will always be available. Our relationship with China is heating up. Dont wait too long!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Aretino

China
Aretino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
Jim Brierley

What oil pump are you running?
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:25 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Dont assume they will always be available. Our relationship with China is heating up. Dont wait too long!
Heating up quite rapidly - and we're in he middle of it. Has there been anything said publicly over there about us buying nuclear submarines from the US and Britain under the new AUKUS arrangement?
I wouldn't want to be living in Taiwan!
Old 10-04-2021, 08:18 PM   #10
mhsprecher

"Has there been anything said publicly over there about us buying nuclear submarines from the US and Britain under the new AUKUS arrangement?"

It's been all over the news. The French were very upset.

China is very dependent upon exports. I suspect they will preserve those export markets as their internal demand can't keep their economy going. Someday they will have enough internal demand that they won't need to export as much, but that is not true today.

Shipping costs have increased exponentially, so, for the time being, that will likely affect the cost of those blocks, too.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 08:32 PM   #11
McMimmcs

Why could these blocks not have been made in the USA? It’s often been expressed that many Fordbarners want nothing to do with Chinese made parts.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:10 PM   #12
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
Why could these blocks not have been made in the USA? It’s often been expressed that many Fordbarners want nothing to do with Chinese made parts.
Without dragging this thru the mud, Terry made several attempts at having the block produced here in the states. It did not go as well as expected and the project sidelined for a while.

Not sure exactly how, but Terry was able to make a connection to a Engine manufacturing facility in China. As they say, all the rest is history.

I see this as a huge win, this facility does this 5 or 6 days a week, or more.
I read somewhere the Engineers and designers were questioning building outdated technology. Happy to see Terry and John successful.

You and I may not like China, but we had better get one while we can.

John
Old 10-05-2021, 01:05 AM   #13
Synchro909

IMO, Terry having to go to China to have these blocks cast shows how much we have been asleep while these (and other) skills have been lost. It's the same here and I'm sure, through out the world. What hope do we have if China gets nasty?
Old 10-05-2021, 01:27 AM   #14
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
What hope do we have if China gets nasty?
They already are nasty from what I’ve read lately.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #15
goodcar

Quote:
If my current engine fails I would probably go with Terry's engine. My biggest concern would be to find a quality builder to put it together at a fair price and then not have to keep puling and reinstalling to get all the bugs out.

We probably all feel the same about Chinese products but what other choices do we have when it comes to almost everything, our clothing, medicines, household items, tools and so many other things. Get rid of everything from China and you'll be living naked in an empty house.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:48 AM   #16
Jim Brierley

Terry had given up on casting blocks over here because several tries ended in failure. He found a guy, or the guy found him, that had been having WWII Jeep blocks, with excellent results. This guy had all the contacts necessary, so Terry investigated and the rest is history. He did give it a good try.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #17
JKY

Quote:
That's a bit broadly stated. Building cast blocks is not that difficult, it's old and established technology. The key is to set the correct specification and hold the manufacturer to a high level of quality control. It doesn't take many rejected parts to get the manufacturer's attention. He does not want rework or rejected parts coming back to him. China can build quality blocks, the key is the quality control and inspection required by the vendor that ordered them.
JKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:05 PM   #18
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKY View Post
That's a bit broadly stated. Building cast blocks is not that difficult, it's old and established technology. The key is to set the correct specification and hold the manufacturer to a high level of quality control. It doesn't take many rejected parts to get the manufacturer's attention. He does not want rework or rejected parts coming back to him. China can build quality blocks, the key is the quality control and inspection required by the vendor that ordered them.
I've been maintaining that for years. The fact that we get rubbish from them comes down to poor quality control on the part of our buyers, most of whom are too money hungry.
As I have said, how is it cheaper to buy an item only for it to not work. There is NO Return on Investment. A more expensive but quality item will last a long time so there is a ROI. I know which I would prefer.
Old 10-05-2021, 05:49 PM   #19
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
They already are nasty from what I’ve read lately.
Quite. And what they are planning is not good.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 08:06 PM   #20
updraught

Since they stopped buying our coal the price has shot up and we are doing quite well out of it.
It looks like an energy crunch is comming, just as their winter hits. Their govt has said to spend whatever it takes to keep their people warm. Interesting to see what happens.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote