Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-19-2021, 08:52 PM   #41
48fordnut

Default Re: Burned '32 PU came to new home today

Thanks for sharing. You are doing a good job.

thanks,

jim
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 09:45 PM   #42
al's28/33

Great work so far, take your time and get all those little details correct while you have it apart. It will be worth all the work and you can sit back and drive drive drive!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 11:26 PM   #43
DavidG

Looking good! However, you left yourself a bit of a challenge by not installing the accelerator pedal/cross shaft assembly on the firewall before mounting it on the frame.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 08:05 AM   #44
mfirth

Nice work & what a GR8 truck it will be when fiinished.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:05 PM   #45
GLAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
These local paint shops are sooo arrogant that I am determined to build a booth someday.
I agree. Arrogant and rude to boot. I've been trying to get my '54 painted for quite awhile. Face to face they are on board. Two have promised to come by to give me an assessment and estimate. They never showed and don't return my calls. In desperation I contacted KCs Paint Shop, the guy who used to paint for the Gas Monkey Garage on Fast & Loud. They don't answer the phone and don't return e-mails. Another shop owner told me he makes more money doing insurance work than he can make doing full paint jobs.

I'm in central TX and can travel.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #46
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLAmes View Post
I agree. Arrogant and rude to boot. I've been trying to get my '54 painted for quite awhile. Face to face they are on board. Two have promised to come by to give me an assessment and estimate. They never showed and don't return my calls. In desperation I contacted KCs Paint Shop, the guy who used to paint for the Gas Monkey Garage on Fast & Loud. They don't answer the phone and don't return e-mails. Another shop owner told me he makes more money doing insurance work than he can make doing full paint jobs.

I'm in central TX and can travel.
It's not arrogance or being rude. How many "free estimates" do you think they've given out only to never see the potential customer again? That takes time away from their work. No one likes the truth when shops charge in the $65-100 an hour for labor. They just complain when they get quoted for $20,000 paint jobs.

Insurance and warranty jobs will always pay better than custom work. That type of work is very clear on the rates that can be charged and the time it takes to do the job. A custom, full bodywork and repaint might take 1000-2000 hours, you never know what you're getting into until you're there. You'll tie up a couple of staff members for half a year doing a car! Those same staff could have done 40 or more insurance jobs and made a ton more money.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #47
Newc

"We'll paint any car for $29.99" I've had several 'drivers' done like that- A gallon of single stage Urethane with hardner is $125 locally. My neighbor built a plastic sheet tent and did a beautiful job on his PU this Summer. What ever is your requirement. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:00 PM   #48
GLAmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
It's not arrogance or being rude. How many "free estimates" do you think they've given out only to never see the potential customer again?
Saying you will be there and then not showing up or even calling isn't rude? Only having an answering machine handle incoming calls and giving a e-mail address then not returning an e-mail saying you are booked up or you aren't interested isn't rude? Free estimates are something that insurance companies need, competition is fierce and sources for collision repair are numerous. A custom paint job by a skilled painter is something quite different.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:45 PM   #49
Newc

Dec 27th, 2021 Good News- the firewall pad[s] have arrived ahead of schedule from Quietride Solutions. Great product- ABS flexible with the 'chicken track' pattern. Foil backing with nice padding. 4 cyl pad on right- V8 on the left [other project]. Now the instruments and wiring can began assembly. Engine installation about complete- the 4 cyl is much easier to work around than a V8. My painter has promised parts in Jan and It will now keep me busy. We got 6" snow and more coming. Photos--
Newc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2210.JPG (164.7 KB, 560 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2211.JPG (161.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2212.JPG (158.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2213.JPG (160.7 KB, 551 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2214.JPG (173.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2208.JPG (150.1 KB, 548 views)

Last edited by Newc; 12-27-2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #50
Bulligen

Are you going to use the grille , or would you sell it? I bought half a hood from you! Thank you, Roger
Bulligen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:02 PM   #51
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Dec 27th, 2021 Good News- the firewall pad[s] have arrived ahead of schedule from Quietride Solutions. Great product- ABS flexible with the 'chicken track' pattern. Foil backing with nice padding. 4 cyl pad on right- V8 on the left [other project]. Now the instruments and wiring can began assembly. Engine installation about complete- the 4 cyl is much easier to work around than a V8. My painter has promised parts in Jan and It will now keep me busy. We got 6" snow and more coming. Photos--
Newc

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #52
movingviolation

Looks quite saveable...
movingviolation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #53
Newc

Spent the days installing the firewall pad- doing firewall grommets and the starter switch. Painted the instrument tower and will start assembling the instruments. small problems along the way. BIG question? The firewall pad is punched for the instrument tower bolts and so the instrument tower will sandwich the pad against the firewall? There is about 1/4" to 3/8' of material to be compressed then?I would expect the 'tower' to be solid against the firewall. Can't remember how the old junkers were done, that I disassembled?
ALWAYS install these pads BEFORE installing firewall to chassis! No one told me! Newc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2215.JPG (163.0 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2216.JPG (151.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 12-31-2021, 02:13 AM   #54
deuce lover

Yes the pad with its insulation is sandwiched between the dash tunnel and firewall.Here is a pic of an original with the dash tunnel removed.This cowl section is near me and the original pad is just about mint.Been trying to buy it for years and yes its a 4 cyl.You can see the coil and 4 cyl pedal.Vibration damper is still intact also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32 Ford firewall pad.jpg (192.2 KB, 104 views)
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:32 AM   #55
Mart

Can I offer an observation?
The stock original one Deuce posted above shows the pad sandwiched between the instrument tunnel flange and the firewall, but can you see that the tunnel flange actually sits on 6 protrusions that stick up from the firewall. The pad has big holes here so at these six points the tunnel bolts direct to the firewall. The stock pad is compressible enough to squash down in between the protrusions to allow the direct bolt up.

Unless the new pad has clearance holes to go around the protrusions and is compressible enough in between, then it might need more clearancing to allow a direct bolt up.

There is very little clearance between the instrument panel and the dash. It might not tolerate standing off the firewall due to an over thick (or under compressible) firewall pad.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:43 AM   #56
deuce lover

Mart, I can't remember since its been a few years since I took that pic. What you see is the raised stamped impression of the firewall. So the tunnel tightens right up against them.Lookt a 5th pic in post #49.Sheldon

Last edited by deuce lover; 12-31-2021 at 04:51 AM.
deuce lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:37 AM   #57
Mart

Yes, Sheldon, that's what I was trying to say. There is a direct bolt up at those six points.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #58
DavidG

Sheldon and Mart,

As Mart indicates, all that originally existed between the legs of the instrument panel and the six attachment points on the firewall is the thickness of insulator skin without any padding. The padding must be removed from those six points on the reproduction pad assembly.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:19 PM   #59
Newc

Thanks everyone; gotta get the new '32 books, but you all have been a big help. Happy New Year. Newc
Old 12-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #60
Graeme / New Zealand

That would "rip your underwear" but it could have been worse. A fire extinguisher is something I lack, this is quite frankly scary and I am going to go out and get one. Good luck with the rebuild it will be nice when done.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote