Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-01-2022, 10:28 AM   #1
AnthonyG

Default Clear coat new spindles?

I like the way the new spindles look without paint. 4140 steel is a bit corrosion resistant but will rust albeit slower than a non-chromium steel. I’m thinking about using a high temp clear coat spray on the areas that aren’t bearing or machined for mechanical use which I’ll mask. Obviously not for the hi-temp but for it’s a very tough finish & it being clear hopefully protecting / keeping it a nice looking steel finish. Anyone ever tried clear coating instead of painting?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Clear coat new spindles?

Tony, I have yet to see a clear coat spray that actually works at protecting steel from rust. I suspect it will "weather" and eventually wear away.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:06 AM   #3
corvette8n

Can you powder coat with clear?
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #4
Tim Ayers

Flat black and be done with it. Unless the entire front end is stripped bare and clear coated, it will look unfinished in my opinion.

In the end, it's your car so do what'd you like.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 02-01-2022 at 11:58 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Can you powder coat with clear?
That is certainly an option and depending on the applicator, should probably hold up well. If it doesn't, you can always redo it and paint/powder-coat it in the future.

Do what you think . . . give it a try . . . otherwise you'll never know! LOL

B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I like the way the new spindles look without paint. 4140 steel is a bit corrosion resistant but will rust albeit slower than a non-chromium steel. I’m thinking about using a high temp clear coat spray on the areas that aren’t bearing or machined for mechanical use which I’ll mask. Obviously not for the hi-temp but for it’s a very tough finish & it being clear hopefully protecting / keeping it a nice looking steel finish. Anyone ever tried clear coating instead of painting?
During my restorations, anything that was left without a finish from the factory, gets a clear coat. Nope, it doesn't hold up forever. However, it does last for many years in most cases.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:30 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
During my restorations, anything that was left without a finish from the factory, gets a clear coat. Nope, it doesn't hold up forever. However, it does last for many years in most cases.

We were just noting about a month ago that the fuel and brake lines on our '65 Corvette coupe still look fresh and shiny from their replacement on the chassis during a body-off restoration about 1991, at which time I had clear-coated them both with spray bomb clear lacquer. Humidity is plenty high here in the Houston area, and it survived with flying colors. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 02:12 PM   #8
Kube

I believe many folks either don't realize or have simply forgot, that rust usually comes from within a piece and migrates outward. Have a decent piece (clean steel) and the clear will last a long time.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:30 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
I believe many folks either don't realize or have simply forgot, that rust usually comes from within a piece and migrates outward. Have a decent piece (clean steel) and the clear will last a long time.
I've read and been told a that the reason why early Ford stuff doesn't rust as bad as other metals is they used virgin steel. When metal is recycled, the rust is mixed in with the smelted metal and, as you said, starts from within.

I'm not smart enough to prove or refute this, but this is what I've read and been told.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
I've read and been told a that the reason why early Ford stuff doesn't rust as bad as other metals is they used virgin steel. When metal is recycled, the rust is mixed in with the smelted metal and, as you said, starts from within.

I'm not smart enough to prove or refute this, but this is what I've read and been told.
Tim, You are, for the most part, correct.
All steel will rust regardless of whether it is "virgin" or recycled.
Recycled steel is cleansed of impurities. How well? I suppose that depends on the company doing the cleansing.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:24 PM   #11
paul2748

Do rust particles survive the melting down process ? Engineers???
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:44 PM   #12
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
Do rust particles survive the melting down process ? Engineers???
I'd like to know too. I've assumed they survived in the melted pool as iron oxide particles.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:26 PM   #13
Tinbasher

You can Metal Prep the bare steel and then apply a coat of Adhesion promoter and then a clearcoat. This will hold up for a few years.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:51 PM   #14
AnthonyG

I totally enjoyed my Metallurgy courses @ Temple University, never thought I’d get to blab about it on FB. Most conversations that I started that involved metallurgy, most of the room had fallen asleep or went to another room before I stopped, LOL! But here goes; FYI on recycled Rusty steel. The process used during recycling steel during remelting (smelting) prior to becoming new steel is very similar but less involved as for iron ore which is full of oxidation (rust) too & other impurities which must be purified. During the melting or remelting process carbon is added to let the iron release the oxygen eliminating the rust allowing the steel to return to its originally post melt purity same as in 1st melt of iron ore. Other elements are added to force impurities from plastics, paint, & other contaminates out of the scrap steel or the other purities in the iron ore if a virgin melt.

Last edited by AnthonyG; 02-02-2022 at 10:17 PM.
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:24 PM   #15
tomcarman

[QUOTE=AnthonyG;2100909]I totally enjoyed my Metallurgy courses @ Temple University

Temple University is where I got my degree. B of Arch. I wish I'd heard of metallurgy courses when I attended as it's very interesting to me. The Architecture Dept. was on the 8th and 9th floors and Engineering was on the 6th and 7th. It was always amusing if one needed to use the men's room to venture down to the 7th floor to leave your stink for the engineers to analyze then read the bathroom graffiti. It was quite apparent the two sciences have differing opinions of each other. Very entertaining!
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:32 AM   #16
AnthonyG

Lol Tom! I went to Temple’s night program in the ‘70’s for Mech. Eng. Broad & Columbia I believe is where ur talking about, didn’t remember how many floors but remember it was pretty tall & our courses were on the middle floors! All done as part of a training program thru General Electric’s “Tool & Die Apprentice course”. Continued after for another 4 yrs to complete the B.S. program. Ge payed for all, it was a great deal! It was kind of weird Temple had a great Metallurgy program but but I always thought it never got the notoriety it should’ve, all the courses were in the basement of that building, lol! Also Temple only offered an associates degree in it which I got as well as the BS in Mech Eng. I took all the Metallurgy courses because I enjoyed it & was valuable thru-out my career!
Old 02-03-2022, 03:00 PM   #17
19Fordy

There is no doubt, Metallurgy is one of the most interesting course that a 'car person' should take, if possible.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #18
RB

Tried several clear coats on items such as those unpainted as original with varied success, on items such as brake lines bolts etc.& for lack of a better term all eventually developed spider veins of rust. appears the spiders followed the sanding abrasion even after proper etching or not, other items basically polished then cleared had about equal results. granted one needs to look closely but is in- fact evident. Thanks, Ron
RB is offline   Reply With Quote