Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2021, 10:43 AM   #1
pistonbroke

Red face never to old to learn

I learned a new trick that was just common sense. I still drive my 41 pickup as tired as it is when need be . Yesterday I drove it out to South Bay about five miles away. The temps were up around mid 80's. The motor wasn't over heating but was warmer then normal. When I shut it off at my destination all was well but I new it did not like to start in the heat. Got it unloaded and of course it cranked and cranked but did not fire. A local guy came over and said he could help me out. He came back with a leaf blower and said pop the hood so I did. He proceeded to blow air on and around the carburetor. After about three or four minuets he said give it a try and it fired right up. Now I know when you can't hold your hand on the carb because it's to hot the engine will not start but the leaf blower was thinking way outside of the box for me. I do love to learn things that make sense to me and that was a good one.
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Tim Ayers

Default Re: never to old to learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
I learned a new trick that was just common sense. I still drive my 41 pickup as tired as it is when need be . Yesterday I drove it out to South Bay about five miles away. The temps were up around mid 80's. The motor wasn't over heating but was warmer then normal. When I shut it off at my destination all was well but I new it did not like to start in the heat. Got it unloaded and of course it cranked and cranked but did not fire. A local guy came over and said he could help me out. He came back with a leaf blower and said pop the hood so I did. He proceeded to blow air on and around the carburetor. After about three or four minuets he said give it a try and it fired right up. Now I know when you can't hold your hand on the carb because it's to hot the engine will not start but the leaf blower was thinking way outside of the box for me. I do love to learn things that make sense to me and that was a good one.
Neat trick. Sounds like a phenolic spacer may be in your future.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
D. Jones

I've had hot start problems in the past and finally started opening the hood when I stop to help the heat escape. Amazingly it seems to help. Never thought about a leaf blower, maybe I need to get one.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Jones View Post
I've had hot start problems in the past and finally started opening the hood when I stop to help the heat escape. Amazingly it seems to help. Never thought about a leaf blower, maybe I need to get one.
When I only had a cheap Group 1 battery in my '51 years ago, it was S.O.P. to open the hood when I parked it on a warm day. It was the only way to ensure it would start later. I found an Optima in a faux Ford case to be a more elegant solution than a leaf blower.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
Bayou Mike

Sometimes it takes something that blows to fix something that sucks!
Bayou Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #6
mfirth

I am too old to learn. The older i get, the less iI retain & I just don't care to learn anything else. Happier being duuuuhmb......
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:49 PM   #7
18tillidie

So, the trick here is having neighbors that are smarter than you are!
Where does the guy live… I might move to his neighborhood!
18tillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 10:59 PM   #8
slowforty

Wonder if a can of freon would work? But then you have an icing problem
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:26 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowforty View Post
Wonder if a can of freon would work? But then you have an icing problem
Boy, that would give the "Ozone Cops" a real woodie, not to mention that I believe the fine for something like that from the EPA (if they find-out) is $25K per occurrence. A blip or two from a COČ fire extinguisher would get it 'pretty frosty' fairly quickly, though. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:42 AM   #10
Ggmac

I can see a new product coming. Flat head owners must have ; CO2 as used in pellet guns , small , cheap and easily modified to cool down the carb area . I wonder ...
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #11
pistonbroke

Tubman, The optima battery is a great fix for cranking power that I have done as well but the problem here was and it a very tired engine with low to no compression and a carb that gets way to hot on hot days . Something I will address with my new engine by placing restricters in the exhaust passages going up to the carb base. Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #12
AKCJ

I’ve heard they’re making battery powered leaf blowers now. . . .
AKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 01:04 AM   #13
Tinker

You don't have to wait to rebuild to put in a crossover block off. A little bit of roofing tin and an ear to pull it out if you want to get fancy. The thinner the tin material the better. The chance of a vacuum leak is fairly low. If you can pop the intake and the gasket, if it come off whole, spray it with rtv and put it back on. It'll be fine. Or buy a new intake gasket and check the valves when it's off. But you can slip a piece of tin under the intake if you loosen the center bolts I wouldn't worry about it. Tin would only be 1/2" wide. Better then a keeping a electric leaf blower in your trunk.

Last edited by Tinker; 07-01-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote