Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2020, 09:59 PM   #1
cas3

Default my new clutch slips!

beautiful day here yesterday so i thought i could finally put some real miles on my 34 jalopy. its been around the neighborhood a few times, but the first time out on the pavement with insurance. i put about 50 miles on, around the big block i call it, for the most part all good. temp stayed at 180, subaru thermostats, oil pressure a little lower than i expected, but still 30, hot, cruising. columbia works fine, trans is smooth shifting, motor runs perfect, but the fire breathin monster has enough power to break the clutch loose in overdrive/high. a 59ab with merc innards, new fort wayne 9"clutch and pp, early flywheel with the blob cut off, balanced and surfaced. all smooth but if i floor it at highway speed i can get it to break loose. this project has been going on for two years, so at this point i will hope its just some surface rust that will fix itself, time will tell. old photo, she's a little more dressed up now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.JPG (149.7 KB, 422 views)
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:20 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: my new clutch slips!

"old photo, she's a little more dressed up now"

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:24 PM   #3
cas3

Smile Re: my new clutch slips!

thanks pete, can you erase some of the junk in the back ground?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
thanks pete, can you erase some of the junk in the back ground?

No, but I'm sure 51 MERC-CT should be able to do it for you....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:44 AM   #5
Talkwrench

If its new just check your adjustment again , dont panic yet it might just take a few miles to settle down. Its happened a few times to me .
Old 04-24-2020, 02:02 AM   #6
Lawrie

When you say Merc innards ,do you mean a 4in crank,If so the 9in will be no good, the engine will make too much torque for it.I know from experience.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 05:01 AM   #7
flatheadmurre

9" usually have 6 springs in them...but if i remember right you can put in 3 more.
Or just stick in heavier springs.
You have 2 options if all is working as it should and it slips...heavier springs or a softer clutchplate with higher friction.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:48 AM   #8
tubman

I've been thinking about this overnite and it seems to me that an extra 16 ci is not going to able to make even a 9" clutch slip under all but the most extreme circumstances. Are you sure everything is releasing properly? I'd check everything out to make sure there is no binding or hanging up before I did anything else. (Unless, of course, you have upgraded the powerplant shown a significant amount.)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #9
Hoop

"I've been thinking about this overnite and it seems to me that an extra 16 ci is not going to able to make even a 9" clutch slip under all but the most extreme circumstances. Are you sure everything is releasing properly? I'd check everything out to make sure there is no binding or hanging up before I did anything else. (Unless, of course, you have upgraded the powerplant shown a significant amount.)"

Tubman, just had an almost exact case here. Period correct rod with hot flathead. Rebuilt 9" pressure plate from on-line (not Ft Wayne.)

2 PP levers severely binding ... one not releasing at all. You'd think a lot of chatter, but not really. Slipped under power in 3rd.

Fix: Polish and lube levers. Problem gone.

Can only guess that PP was rebuilt and sat on the shelve at the rebuilders. It did not sit here.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #10
cas3

merc crank, and merc cam, bored 80 over. no other mods than that. adjustment was done before the body drop using a straight edge off the number pad on the tranny which got me close but too much free play, about 2" so that is not the problem. my flywheel grinder guy always sprays with wd40 when done to stop flash rust, i cleaned that off, and the surface of the pp with starter fluid, my favorite cheap cleaner. i would think a 9" would hold my mild motor, but its hard to argue with lawrie if he's been there done that. i had the pp levers start to seize at the pivot point one time, but you could feel that on the stroke (different project). so, thanks for all the ideas, i will run it for a while and see what happens. guess i cant sign up for the truck pull at the fair just yet!
Old 04-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
David J

Couple years ago at the NHRA nationals in Brainerd MN I watched John Force burn his new clutch several times .

I was curious and asked a crewman what he was doing and got this response .
They rebuild the computer controlled slipper clutch every round and he was " seating the discs " .

Did your new disc have a rough surface ?
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

I thought Ford began using a 10" c&pp with the beginning of 59 series engines, but a new 9" c&pp should not be slipping as op is experiencing. Ft. Wayne can do heavier/higher force spings, if/ when requested.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #13
GOSFAST

Dealt with Fort-Wayne one time for a members build here.

First and last time for me, they had to take the pressure-plate back, visibly defective!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Am still keeping my posts a bit short due to some recent health issues!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Pressure Plate-Defective 2017.jpg (76.4 KB, 83 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #14
cas3

david j, gosh, that was two years ago, i cant remember yesterday! now, what was i saying? oh, jm, yes i believe the 10" came on the 59 series, i went this route as its the lightest "ford" clutch you can build. i cut the blob off myself, so it was cheap too. gary go fast...wow! hard to believe ft wayne let that out the door. they usually have a pretty decent reputation from what i know. thanks all
Old 04-24-2020, 11:37 AM   #15
tubman

WOW! That's surprising (and disappointing). From reading your post, they did take it back, which is encouraging.

I hope this is a one-time occurrence, I'd hate to see another usually good vendor start having problems.

I hope you feel better soon. When you do, I would like to see more information on that cap girdle; initially, does the pan need to be extensively modified?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #16
bobH

Suggestion... go back and read rumbleseats notes.... 9-in should work fine, and Ft Wayne seems to have the reputation to build whatever is necessary. There was a reason that Paul (rumbleseat) chose the 9-in, and as I recall, he had a pretty strong motor. JMO
(my personal experience with the 9-in has been very favorable, as well.)
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:11 PM   #17
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
WOW! That's surprising (and disappointing). From reading your post, they did take it back, which is encouraging.

I hope this is a one-time occurrence, I'd hate to see another usually good vendor start having problems.

I hope you feel better soon. When you do, I would like to see more information on that cap girdle; initially, does the pan need to be extensively modified?
Hi Dennis, no modification to pan, doesn't even require an align bore/hone, basically it's a bolt-in deal. just a few holes in the block just inside the pan rail area!

(Add) For any clutch/pressure plate work we use Falcon clutch over here in Deer Park!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Am still keeping my posts a bit short due to some recent health issues!
Old 04-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

A Rumble Seat post:

INCREASING CLUTCH ENGAGEMENT PRESSURE: Changing the springs in the clutch cover to stronger springs will result in increased engagement tension with a resultant decrease in slippage. Although installing a larger clutch will produce the same result along with the added benefit of more friction material, the larger clutch will also increase the mass of the flywheel/clutch assembly considerably (didn’t you just go to a lot of trouble and expense to reduce your flywheel weight?). This is the same as adding weight to the flywheel which will decrease acceleration. Clutch rebuilders stock different strength springs and will replace stock springs with stouter ones during rebuild.... just ask. However, this can be done at home with the help of friends, a long pry bar, and using basic hotrodder ingenuity. It’s a fairly simple process, but BE CAREFUL.... those springs do fly around at about Mach 7 or so..... and have been known to take out windows while in flight! Or you could just take it to a rebuilder and have him change springs for some minor compensation. Well worth the expense, and you won’t have to organize a search party to locate the springs and nuts that flew (including out the window and into the vacant lot next door). Don’t forget the engagement effort (pushing down the clutch pedal) increases dramatically and stock linkage (as well as your clutch leg) may need beefing up (I beefed up my linkage after it bent... I never learn easily!). Don’t forget to check the height of the three fingers anytime you’ve been messing with the springs etc.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:08 PM   #19
GOSFAST

With respect to the pressure plate I would probably opt for a "diaphragm" type plate with a "centrifugal-assist".

The "diaphragm" design takes care of excess pedal pressure and the "centrifugal" grabs much tighter the faster it's spun up!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Am still keeping my posts short due to some recent health issues!
Old 04-24-2020, 02:15 PM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOSFAST View Post
With respect to the pressure plate I would probably opt for a "diaphragm" type plate with a "centrifugal-assist".

The "diaphragm" design takes care of excess pedal pressure and the "centrifugal" grabs much tighter the faster it's spun up!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Am still keeping my posts short due to some recent health issues!
Many diaphragm clutches use a throw-out bearing with a raised/curved surface on them where they meet the clutch fingers. (And a lot narrower diameter - given the size of late model input shafts). So, there isn't a problem with a T5 or aftermarket transmission - plenty of throw-out bearing options.

On a 39 style transmission - due to the width of the flat surface of a standard 32-48 style throw-out bearing - there can be issues with trying to use a diaphragm clutch (the throw-out bearing surface contacts the clutch teeth in an incorrect manner when the clutch is depressed).

Who here knows of a good GM style 10.5" clutch manufacturer that is KNOWN to correctly work with our big, fat and flat throw-out bearings???
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote