Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Earth/ground straps

I often thought of doing that. The Neverseize appears to be a nonferrous metallic compound that ought to be conductive. I've also thought about doing tests with a ohm meter for resistance and continuity.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
I've put never seize on ground and battery cables for about 40 years. It stops corrosion and is a good conductor.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 06:52 PM   #22
ian Simpson

Worked a lot on battery driven vehicles back in the sixties. We used good old Vaseline when connecting ground or live cables or inter battery cables. Quick fixes of a corroded connection were by means of oil soaked emery cloth followed by Vaseline. If Vaseline was not available, we just flooded the site with oil

I still have the habit of touching the dipstick to battery terminals when checking the oil (but not on either the Model A or MGB as the batteries are out of easy reach on both vehicles.)

Like the idea of fitting extra grounds. Will put one or two on the Tudor during this winter's maintenance work.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #23
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
On Model A's, you can never have TOO many grounds, if you can do it in a nice HIDDEN way.
Chief always pulled hidden, dedicated grounds, through the headlight conduits & the tail light looms.
Grounding problems were NOT so common, when the cars were NEW & All the metal parts were SHINY NEW!
Chiefs' Son, Bill W.
yes i agree on adding a dedicated ground on headlights and taillights. engine grounds if you use a smallish braided cable as a ground 99% of the people out there think its supposed to be there.

the way I see dielectric VS conductive is this: dielectric is great for keeping water out such as spark plug boots or multipin connections or snap connections.

conductive grease does the same thing but also conducts, filling all those little pits scratches gouges etc. giving nearly 100% contact where before its only the high spots touching so you may have only 40% contact. an ohm meter wont show it. When you try to draw high amps thru it they will burn those peaks off and unless you have a spring loaded nut and bolt tightening it it will loosten up cause higher resistance more heat and more melting.

obviously a multi pin connector or conductive grease in a park plug boot is the opposite of helpful haha.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #24
tbirdtbird
BANNED

this is being over-thought
Old 11-13-2016, 10:43 PM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
Yes, it is.
I use a high temp grease like Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease for light bulb sockets, and all electrical connections. The mechanical connection of the spring pressure in metal push on terminals or the bolt clamping pressure will make a good metal to metal contact. As Mitch mentioned, if you have rubber boots on the spark plugs be sure to use a lube so they come off easier.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:44 PM   #26
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
That's the fun of it.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:29 AM   #27
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Grease is the recommended rust and corrosion preventer by the US Army on battery posts and connectors, at least it was while I was in. Same grease we used for the bearings.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote