Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
revenski

Default '38 Tonner Jack and Manual

I'm looking for a Ford owners' manual for my '38 Tonner. I've found a '38 manual that covers cars and commercial trucks and another that covers '38 big trucks. Neither of these cover the tonner. Can anyone point me in the direction of an owner's manual for a '38 Tonner?

I'm also looking for a jack assembly for that vehicle. The Green Book identifies the unit as 82Y-17080-A. Again, can anyone point me in a direction for this part?

Obviously, I've had no luck on either of these yet.

Thank you.

Got this view of a '40 Tonner Manual from Les W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tonner 1940 Book.jpg (45.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Tonner 1940 Book 2.jpg (34.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by revenski; 01-22-2019 at 10:47 AM. Reason: add attachment
revenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:54 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: '38 Tonner Jack and Manual

The 1/2-ton commercial cars were considered like a car by Ford since they used the same frame. All other trucks whether they had a pickup style bed, a flat bed, or no bed at all were generally still in the truck category. They had model numbers for the different applications of wheelbase and cab configuration. A fellow named Lin Stacey is a person to ask about jacks but I'm not sure what his contact info is. He advertises in the add section of the V8 Times magazine of the Early Ford V8 Club. The trucks likely all used the same jack.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #3
revenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The 1/2-ton commercial cars were considered like a car by Ford since they used the same frame. All other trucks whether they had a pickup style bed, a flat bed, or no bed at all were generally still in the truck category. They had model numbers for the different applications of wheelbase and cab configuration. A fellow named Lin Stacey is a person to ask about jacks but I'm not sure what his contact info is. He advertises in the add section of the V8 Times magazine of the Early Ford V8 Club. The trucks likely all used the same jack.

I appreciate the name. I'll look at my copies of the V-8 Times. It's the connections that I'm looking for beyond those that I already have.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
rotorwrench

The 82Y number could very well be a good number but 82Y indicates for 60HP engine on a 122" wheel base. Yours would be an 81Y if its a 1-ton. The 91D showed up in 1939 which is the reference for a 3/4 ton starting that year. They made one in 1938 but it's not listed in the model chart. It's just listed as the 122-inch wheel base truck which is same as a 1-ton. There wasn't a lot of difference between the 91Y & 91D in 1939.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
revenski

I'm all set on tools, but I AM LOOKING FOR AN OWNERS' MANUAL FOR A 1938 ONE TON TRUCK (122" WHEELBASE). What I have learned is that neither the 1938 Car and Commercial Truck Manual nor the 1938 Big Truck Manual cover the Tonner. What did Ford put out in the way of an owners' manual for the 1938 One Ton Truck?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
expavr

I can’t answer your specific question about where to find a 1938 Tonner Owner’s Manual but do have an owner’s manual for the 1940 Tonner which is specifically geared to the operation and servicing of the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I also have a 1940 “Regular” (that’s what Ford called them) Truck Owner’s Manual which has additional info specifically related to the large trucks. I saw a 39 Tonner owner’s manual several years ago at a swap meet in Reno which leads me to believe that Ford must have made them available for all Tonners, especially your 38 Tonner since that was the first year a Tonner was offered. I found both of the 40 owner’s manuals that I have at swap meets. Good luck with your search.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #7
rotorwrench

The fact that is was the first year makes the possibility greater that the 1938 Ford Truck Reference Book is the only thing available for that 1st year of the 1-ton and that was what I was eluding to previously. I certainly can't find any other references specific to those models other than chassis and body parts manuals and /or 1938 service bulletins. A person may have to settle for the 1939 references if nothing else shows up. At least they would be close. The other possibility is sales manuals but I don't know how much info specific to the model in question would be in those references. Ford didn't start publishing better manuals till after the war so there was always something lacking in most of their pubs. They were OK for basic maintenance but not for major maintenance or restoration. The best maintenance manual for the older Fords was a reprint of a Canadian Military repair manual that came along after the war.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:23 PM   #8
revenski

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The fact that is was the first year makes the possibility greater that the 1938 Ford Truck Reference Book is the only thing available for that 1st year of the 1-ton and that was what I was eluding to previously. I certainly can't find any other references specific to those models other than chassis and body parts manuals and /or 1938 service bulletins. A person may have to settle for the 1939 references if nothing else shows up. At least they would be close. The other possibility is sales manuals but I don't know how much info specific to the model in question would be in those references. Ford didn't start publishing better manuals till after the war so there was always something lacking in most of their pubs. They were OK for basic maintenance but not for major maintenance or restoration. The best maintenance manual for the older Fords was a reprint of a Canadian Military repair manual that came along after the war.

I do have a sales/ reference manual covering '38 - '41 for the one ton and 3/4 ton and a few other resources. I am only looking for the "owners' manual" for show. I've been well covered on all things mechanical as far as that vehicle goes.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM   #9
GB SISSON

Of course any manual for the '39 tonner would be dealing with juice brakes. The 38 had the one year cable brakes. The way I saw it, Henry used the 1/2 ton front end/brakes/king pins and the 15" big truck brakes in the rear. Another thing I found when studying Wagner's FTS'05 was the '38 tonner incorporated a 4:11 rear axle. Think of it... 33" dia (my 7,50 x 17s were 34") with a 1-1 final drive is higher geared than many trucks through the '90s era. I could drive my stock (ok, merc crank) 38 tonner down interstate 5 at 70 mph and even pulling a tandem axle trailer. With electric brakes.... Wagner stated that the 4:11 proved to be too tall and Ford switched to a 4:86 or something in '39. The '38 rear would be a good find for anyone with a tonner today. Just loose those mechanical brakes.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #10
revenski

I kept the tonner stock, so I have mechanical brakes with 12" shoes on the front and 15" on the rear. Tires are 7.50 X 17" all the way around with the rears being traction tires. And I did check the rear end which was surprisingly a 4.11:1. Gary, always great to get your input; I like the '47 tonner and really love your work on the Woodie wagon.

Last edited by revenski; 02-13-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: correction
Old 01-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #11
rotorwrench

The 4.11:1 ratio is like unobtanium now days. Folks with the old Timken rear axles always ask about the taller gearing due to the limited availability of ratios even when new. I think Chuck's Trucks deals with the TImkens some but there are not a lot of folks that have the parts or info for them.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
expavr

I installed a set of 4.11 gears from Chucks Trucks in my tonner along with a 49 Merc O/D transmission that made the tonner more usable in modern driving conditions. I think he still offers that 4.11 gear set for sale.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote