Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-20-2021, 09:52 PM   #1
CA Victoria

Default 1935-37 LED Headlights

Any firsthand experience with the LED headlight retrofit kits being offered?
I think it is Vintique who offers a complete kit with reflectors.
Thanks!
Old 12-21-2021, 12:09 AM   #2
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: 1935-37 LED Headlights

Do yourself a HUGE favor and type-in that "Vin...." name under the "SEARCH" function up in the BLACK band at the top of every page here on FordBarn, and sit back and be amazed at the number of UN-HAPPY customers buying ANYTHING suplied by that name brand. I wouldn't recommend any of that stuff to my worst enemy. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
Slick34

I have never dealt with Vintique in Campbell, CA but there is a web site called Rodtiques LLC in Hanover, MA that sells LED Headlight Reflectors. I think they list for around $230 a pair. I also have never dealt with them, just browsing when I came across their web site looking for LED headlights for my 34.
Old 12-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #4
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick34 View Post
I have never dealt with Vintique in Campbell, CA but there is a web site called Rodtiques LLC in Hanover, MA that sells LED Headlight Reflectors. I think they list for around $230 a pair. I also have never dealt with them, just browsing when I came across their web site looking for LED headlights for my 34.
Vintique is not in Campbell, California. They are in the L.A. area. Campbell is home to All Ford Parts.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
34p-kup

Here's what I found, I already had halogen (no relay) dim at idle, ok at speed. While searching for relay kit on ebay, bumped into a LED conversion. Bought both. I don't remember the brand, but turns out they had the same reflectors, same pigtails. Installed LED and never looked back, just re-aimed those bright headlights.
34p-kup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
34p-kup

Forgot, I have 12V stock type generator from mid 50's on my 8CM and didn't use relay kit.
34p-kup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #7
V8COOPMAN

Well, here's what WE found, FWIW. Rewiring this little '37 Coupe from scratch recently, 6v, STOCK STOCK. I bought this coupe 20+ years ago, stock as could be, really nice un-restored condition. Well, I let it sit all this time and recently decided to sell-out all my junk for health reasons. My best bud did all of this work to get the car running, safe and reliable for his brother in NW Ohio who bought the car.

So, my bud got the car running and stopping well again (stock cable brakes). With that, he completely rewired the car using all reproduction wiring harnesses. As found, none of the lights were even wired-up. The passenger side headlight reflector was some sort of reproduction....didn't even have the hole for the park light socket.

I found two solid, yet tarnished-looking reflectors on eBay for $20. They ended-up polishing-up very nicely.

Note in the first picture the black Yuckelberries all around the big hole for the bulb and socket. I'm gonna assume that is possibly some carbon from arcing of a loose bulb and socket over the years. More importantly, THAT IS YOUR GROUND surface. Long story short, that was all easily cleaned-up, and a ground wire soldered to each of a pair of NICE, stock bulb sockets from a '39.

Think about that GROUNDING situation ...bulb/socket assembly grounds to reflector. Reflector grounds to bucket. Bucket grounds to fender. Fender grounds to body, and grill assy at front, which all eventually grounds to chassis. We ran the soldered ground wire down with the stock harness to a point where each side's ground wire could be grounded through an empty, stock hole in the chassis on each side. Third picture tells the story on that.

One thing to remember on '37-ish headlights is that those flutes in the glass headlight cover are there to aim a stock bulb mounted at a pre-determined distance from the glass. That distance may be compromised when using different type bulbs mounted in different reflectors. In other words, you may have a bright light...aiming toward your bumper. DD

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #8
CA Victoria

Thanks 34p-
I tried to word my question so as not to solicit to many rabbit trails.
Agreed DD, most folks overlook the grounding issues......good point on the bulbs, the later developed bulbs are suppose to have the correct bulb placement.
Hope to hear more firsthand testimony.

I’m starting from scratch & wired for 12v.
If someone has a pair of usable original reflectors for $20 drop me a line.
The last original pair I bought and had re chromed was over $100.
I do not have reflectors so I’m at a decision point.
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B683595F-4CBC-4F8E-B520-A52F3525DCEB.jpg (66.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-21-2021, 04:13 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Victoria View Post
Thanks 34p-
I tried to word my question so as not to solicit to many rabbit trails.
Agreed DD, most folks overlook the grounding issues......good point on the bulbs, the later developed bulbs are suppose to have the correct bulb placement.
Hope to hear more firsthand testimony.

I’m starting from scratch & wired for 12v.
If someone has a pair of usable original reflectors for $20 drop me a line.
The last original pair I bought and had re chromed was over $100.
I do not have reflectors so I’m at a decision point.
Thanks!
You didn't say what was wrong with your RE-CHROMED pair of reflectors, but those reflectors are SILVER plated...NOT chrome. Silver is much more reflective than chrome plating. And MOST of these crummy-looking (tarnished) reflectors you see is the silver needing proper cleaning, like your "4:00 PM afternoon tea service"! Those crummy $20 reflectors we bought only took some silver polish to end-up looking new again. And admittedly, $20 was a bargain. Another $60 buck pair on eBay at the moment. Link BELOW! DD

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15383795733...EAAOSwWSVeTL4C

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 12-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #10
CA Victoria

The restored reflectors are on my Tudor, working like a champ.
I think the 37-8 pass are different. 35-6 pass and 35-7 pickup are the same and have little tabs to hold the 3 spring clips.
I’ll give you a call if I find a pair, the last ones I tried to clean didn’t turn out well☹️

Last edited by CA Victoria; 12-21-2021 at 09:31 PM.
CA Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:28 PM   #11
VeryTangled

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
One thing to remember on '37-ish headlights is that those flutes in the glass headlight cover are there to aim a stock bulb mounted at a pre-determined distance from the glass. That distance may be compromised when using different type bulbs mounted in different reflectors. In other words, you may have a bright light...aiming toward your bumper. DD
Those lenses were engineered for a situation you aren't duplicating with the kit in the original inquiry.

And Vintique parts are normally shite in my experience.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 11:40 PM   #12
40cpe

I have a '38 Deluxe that came to me with a B Drake halogen 12v kit installed. The are not overly bright, but they do aim adequately on high and low beam. I've read of others who have another brand who are not satisfied, and of other Drake kit users who are satisfied. You just have to go with the best info you can get.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote