Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
JCAllison

Default The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Hey All,
Permit me to introduce myself. I am JCAllison, 80 years old, and caretaker of Ms. American 3.14159, the ONLY 1964 Ford Galaxie 500, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor that Google finds on the WHOLE World Wide Web.

Have been lurking your very nice Forum for some time. AND met Mr. KULTULZ back in 2007, over at the FordMuscleForum.

Ms. American was bought by my Father in March of 1964, was my Mother's Daily Driver, and when she could no longer see well enough to get her driver's license, she told my Father that she'd drive without a license. My Father, in order to keep that from happening, called me from Cherry Valley, California in June of 1986, and said: "You've always liked this old Ford, if you'd like to have it, come get it."

As he understood the law in California, you can't just GIVE someone a car. You HAVE to sell it. So he charged me $1.00!

I drove Ms. American from Cherry Valley to Houston, Texas 33 years ago yesterday (June 6, 1986), and the old Gal has lived with me all those years. She is in better shape today than she was when I got her.

I don't yet know how to post an image on this Forum, but have many JPGs of all kinds of stuff. If someone could give some hints on how to do that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Would like to say a special hello to Mr. Kultulz, to whom I haven't spoken in many years. So "HI! Mr. K", hope you are doing well.

Take care everyone, will post more later.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
JCAllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Exclamation Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

JC! ...

I'll be damned ...

Glad to hear you are getting along well and you still have your P-CODE.

Man' I was in love with that '64. I still have photos of it somewhere ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

WONDERING IN W(BY GOD)V ...

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
JCAllison

Default Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
JC! ... I'll be damned ...
Hey Mr. K,
Surprise!
Quote:
Glad to hear you are getting along well and you still have your P-CODE.
The old Gal is in the best shape she's ever been in since coming to live with me.

Completely rebuilt her PI Front Suspension, that doesn't have the "Easy Rider" dropped Front Lower Control Arms connections.

Put in all NEW Brake Lines, Wheel Cylinders, and Master Cylinder.

Had Champion Carburetors in Arlington, Texas (they took over Pony Carbs when John Enyart passed) rebuild the Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG, and it was just GORGEOUS.

THEN, could never get the 4100's Rube Goldberg Choke System to work. So installed a "Mustangs Etc." Manual Choke System, and it made all the difference in the world about how the 3.14 STARTS.

The Manual Choke closes the PRIMARY Choke Plate, and have the Primaries Throttle Plates adjusted COMPLETELY CLOSED. Installed a Fuel/Air Mixture Screw in the Threaded Hole that keeps the Secondary Throttle Plates from sticking in their bores, and have the 4100 Idling on the Secondaries.

This keeps the Distributor from seeing any vacuum from the Primaries at idle.

With the Pertronix Ignitor III, and 60,000 Volt Pertronix Flamethrowere HC Ignition Coil, the 3.14 starts and runs MARVELOUSLY.
Quote:
Man' I was in love with that '64. I still have photos of it somewhere ...
If someone would let me know how to post JPGs here, I'd send you more.

Have kept a complete image documentation of EVERYTHING that has been done.

BTW, in the 12 years since I met you, I've become a fair to middling mechanic!

Don't know if you remember Lorrie Van Haul, the 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle which is Ms. PI's Running Mate/Chase Truck, but am in the process of completely rebuilding her Right Hand Drive Manual Steering System.

She is doing GREAT! Have to say that her MIGHTY 225 Slant Six is the SWEETEST Engine I've ever had. I LIKE the 3.14 FE, but I LOVE the /6!

Anyway, nice to hear from you. Was casting about for a NEW Ford Forum for Ms. American, and when I saw your name here at FordBarn, I registered, and here we are.

Hope this finds YOU doing well. Have MUCH to talk about. Take care.

JC
Ms. American 3.14159,1964 Ford Galaxie 500,Model:64 4-Door Hardtop,Body:57B 4-Door Fastback,Police Interceptor,390 CID,330 HP,P-Code FE,Solid Lifters,Cast Iron Shorty Headers,Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carb,Mustangs Etc.Manual Choke,3 Speed BorgWarner T85 Overdrive Transmission,4.11:1 Differential,Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels,PerTronix Ignitor III HEI,60,000 Volt PerTronix FlameThrower HC Coil,Frantz Oil Cleaner,Chantilly Beige
Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 AM   #4
5851a

Nice to hear about Miss American, followed on FM until they changed passwords on me and gave me a 20 digit alphanumeric password.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

JC, send me the photos on a PM and I will post them for you. I will also describe how to post photos.

Now that was dumba$$, how can he PM if he can't attach photographs ... ?

Yes, I remember your parcel van and yes, the MOPAR SLANT SIX was a tough engine.

- WHY IS IT ... -

... that everything you buy in the grocery store is either wrapped in or contained in plastic but the government doesn't want you to carry it out in a plastic bag?

Old 06-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #6
JCAllison

Quote:
JC, send me the photos on a PM and I will post them for you. I will also describe how to post photos.
Hey Mr. K,
Let me see if I can figure this out...
Quote:
Now that was dumba$$, how can he PM if he can't attach photographs ?
Am not sure, but I think I've attached a JPG of Ms. American. It hasn't show up anywhere that I can see, but it may be that it has to be posted before it shows up.
Quote:
Yes, I remember your parcel van and yes, the MOPAR SLANT SIX was a tough engine.
Her name is Lorrie Van Haul. She's my sweetheart.

Well, I just previewed this post, and wonder of wonders, there is a JPG of Ms. American attached.

And this is a generic Question... Has anyone ever seen a Fastener like the one on the Left in the attached JPG? If you have, how does one get it to come off of the Screw to which it is fastened?

Inquiring minds want to know.

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.14.jpg (112.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg LVHTHINGY.jpg (130.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
rotorwrench

I can't tell for sure what the fastener is but it looks similar to a rivet nut. I use several types of rivet nuts. They are manufactured under several trade names. If that's what it is and it has come loose, they can be difficult to remove. Some have serrations on the body and some have to have a key way filed in to keep them from rotating if they come loose. I usually grind the screw head off when possible. Drilling may be possible if a person can keep it from rotating. Not a fun job if that is what you've got there.

I've seen a few 4-door hardtops in both Galaxie and Marauder trim. They are nice cars. The back doors are hard to spot on some depending on the paint scheme. I've always been partial to the FE 390 engines too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #8
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I can't tell for sure what the fastener is but it looks similar to a rivet nut. I use several types of rivet nuts. They are manufactured under several trade names. If that's what it is and it has come loose, they can be difficult to remove. Some have serrations on the body and some have to have a key way filed in to keep them from rotating if they come loose. I usually grind the screw head off when possible. Drilling may be possible if a person can keep it from rotating. Not a fun job if that is what you've got there.
Hey Mr. RW,
Turned out the THINGY was a Nyloc Nut!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyloc_nut

Quote:
I've seen a few 4-door hardtops in both Galaxie and Marauder trim. They are nice cars. The back doors are hard to spot on some depending on the paint scheme.
Am attaching some more JPGs of Ms. American

Quote:
I've always been partial to the FE 390 engines too.
I call Ms. American's Engine "The 3.14". It's a P-Code 390 FE. Solid Lifters, Cast Iron Shorty Headers. And the Police Interceptor has Kelsey Hayes Severe Service Wheels. She is driven rather gently, though on occasion she is taken to 5,500 RPM in second gear to clean out the carbon. She does it effortlessly, and is turbine smooth.

Anyway, thanks for the response. Am glad the Nyloc Nuts were not the exotic stuff of which you spoke.

Take care.

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OCW01.JPG (35.1 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpg MSASPIF09.JPG (65.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg MABUB05.JPG (45.9 KB, 60 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #9
KULTULZ

Post Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post

Completely rebuilt her PI Front Suspension, that doesn't have the "Easy Rider" dropped Front Lower Control Arms connections.

Had Champion Carburetors in Arlington, Texas (they took over Pony Carbs when John Enyart passed) rebuild the Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG, and it was just GORGEOUS.

THEN, could never get the 4100's Rube Goldberg Choke System to work. So installed a "Mustangs Etc." Manual Choke System, and it made all the difference in the world about how the 3.14 STARTS.

The Manual Choke closes the PRIMARY Choke Plate, and have the Primaries Throttle Plates adjusted COMPLETELY CLOSED. Installed a Fuel/Air Mixture Screw in the Threaded Hole that keeps the Secondary Throttle Plates from sticking in their bores, and have the 4100 Idling on the Secondaries.

This keeps the Distributor from seeing any vacuum from the Primaries at idle.

JC
The car didn't have the lower control arm pivots from the factory did it?

As for the carb modification(s), you have come a long ways since back when ...

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #10
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5851a View Post
Nice to hear about Miss American, followed on FM until they changed passwords on me and gave me a 20 digit alphanumeric password.
Had the same kind of problem when Vertical Scope bought FM.

JC
Old 06-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #11
Coosawjack

I'm finally here JC....WHEW!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #12
JCAllison

Quote:
The car didn't have the lower control arm pivots from the factory did it?
Hey Mr. K,
No. It has long, straight 9/16 Diameter Bolts that go through off-set pieces that fit into the Front and Back of the Front Crossmember. See the JPGs of those Units.
Quote:
As for the carb modification(s), you have come a long ways since back when ...
When I first met you, Ms. American had a Holley 4150, w/ Vacuum Secondaries. Doing all the stuff that has been done to the old Gal has been a learning process.

Am attaching the Autolite 4100's "Mustangs Etc." Manual Choke setup.

Also Mr. K, have completely rebuilt the Window Escapements and Windwings. That was GREAT fun.

Will also have to tell you about Rosemary's Miscarriage sometime!

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AHCPI07.JPG (48.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AHCPI14.JPG (49.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg AHCPI15.JPG (44.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg AHCPI17.JPG (47.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg AHCPI24.JPG (35.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg AHCPI27.JPG (54.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MACHIN05.jpg (132.1 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg CHOSHA02.jpg (34.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-07-2019, 04:24 PM   #13
KULTULZ

Question Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Is (was) this the OEM manual choke setup for the 289HP? Very hard to find.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #14
JCAllison

Quote:
Is (was) this the OEM manual choke setup for the 289HP? Very hard to find.
Hey Mr. K,
No. It's a Mustangs Etc. Manual Choke System. See here:

https://www.mustangsetc.com/hi-po-ma...onversion-kit/

So simple. I could never get the Autolite 4100 Rube Goldberg Choke System to work. Got this. It COMPLETELY transformed the 3.14. That along with Rosemary's Miscarriage!

JC
Old 06-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #15
mercman from oz

It is very refreshing to see a Four Door Hardtop being loved. Unfortunately, most collectors believe that Two Door Hardtops and Convertibles are the only body styles worth collecting. Love it.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:42 PM   #16
craig

I maybe mistaken, but I think the hand choke mechanism from a 2100 Autolite on a 292 or 352 pickup/light duty truck is the same thing as the Mustang 4100 used
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:53 PM   #17
JCAllison

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post
It is very refreshing to see a Four Door Hardtop being loved. Unfortunately, most collectors believe that Two Door Hardtops and Convertibles are the only body styles worth collecting. Love it.
Hey Mr. MM,
Actually, I'm not a collector. I'm an inheritor. Ms. American was my Mother's Daily Driver till she could no longer pass the Eye Test to get her Driver's License. She threatened to drive without a license. So my Father had to get rid of her car. He knew that I liked the old Gal, and so he sold her to me for $1.00!

Being a P-Code make her unusual, and quite rare seeing as to how MOST Police Interceptors were Mayberry Special Four-Door Sedans. If you Google: 1964 Ford Galaxie, Four-Door, Hard-Top, Fast-Back, Police Interceptor, Ms. American will be the only one you will find on the whole World Wide Web.

BTW, when I first met Mr. Kultulz back in 2007, his comment was to the effect that he was jealous of that car, and warned me not to leave the keys in the ignition!

Anyway, I really appreciate your recognizing that even though she is a "MoreDoor", or "Door Factory" (have heard her called both by people who are, as you noted, of the opinion that Two-Door Hardtops, and Convertibles are the only way to go) she is still loveable.

She's getting ready to have her Odometer turn over to 00000 for the third time. And she is STILL quite a potent Lady. When we were both younger, she surprised many a Honda and Toyota. We no longer do stuff like that because our need for speed has diminished considerably, but the old Gal can still manage to cause a gathering in a parking lot.

You'd be surprised at how many people had a relative who had one JUST LIKE THAT!

BTW, here is a JPG of Ms. American's running mate, and chase truck. This is Lorrie Van Haul, the last (out of 3,500 built) 1967 Dodge P200 Post Office Vehicle that has lived with me since 1975. She too has some amount of ability to gather a small crowd.

Anyway, time for meds and bed. Hope you are doing well. Take care.

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lvh.jpg (117.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-08-2019, 12:10 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig View Post

I maybe mistaken, but I think the hand choke mechanism from a 2100 Autolite on a 292 or 352 pickup/light duty truck is the same thing as the Mustang 4100 used
You're correct, used on both 2100/4100 SERIES.

I just had no idea it was available re-pro.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #19
KULTULZ

Talking Re: The GREAT Introducing Ms. American 3.14159 Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAllison View Post

BTW, when I first met Mr. Kultulz back in 2007, his comment was to the effect that he was jealous of that car, and warned me not to leave the keys in the ignition!

JC
You still had better tuck her in good at night is all I can say.

It is a beautiful body style for a 4DR, as it didn't have that period BOX TOP roof, was a true HDTP and of course the POLICE PACKAGE.

- WHY IS IT ... -

Old 06-08-2019, 04:41 AM   #20
JCAllison

Quote:
You still had better tuck her in good at night is all I can say.
Hey Mr. K,
The attached JPGs show the Car Port where Ms. American is ensconced when she is not being driven.

There is a somewhat mysterious story about this Car Port:

Before the Car Port was here, Ms. American languished under a large piece of Vizqueen Plastic, held in place by a HEAVY Canvas Tarp with Ropes that wrapped around her Front and Rear Ends. The reason for this covering is because the old Gal is not Water Tight, and if it rained on her, her Carpets would get wet, and moldy. As you can see in the attached JPGs, she is under this covering.

So each time that she was called on to go out and about, OR to be worked on, the Plastic and Tarp had to be removed, carefully folded, and stowed.

Then when she was returned to her Parking Place, the carefully folded (so as to make reapplication simple) Plastic and Tarp had to once again be put over her. It was a kind of a PITA, but necessary.

The upshot of all this is that it was so much easier to just get into Lorrie Van Haul, and head out. The result of THAT was that Ms. American didn't get driven very much. This situation had been discussed on one of the Ford Auto Forums.

Then one day, the phone rang. A lady's voice asked: "Mr. Allison?, when would be a convenient time for our crew to come and install your NEW Car Port?"

Thinking this was someone trying to sell me a Car Port, I replied: "Oh, I can't afford a Car Port at this time."

The lady replied: "No, no, no. It has already been paid for!"

"By whom?" I asked.

To which she replied: Well, THAT is our little secret!"

My first inclination was to suspect that there was some kind of "catch" to this approach, and so I said: "Secret? Whose little secret?"

The lady replied: "Mine, and the person who has paid for it."

"Are you kidding me?" was my retort.

"No," said the lady, "would Tuesday Afternoon be convenient?"

Well, being someone who seldom is surprised by anything anymore, I said: "Yes. I'm here all time."

She went on to confirm the address, and told me to expect the crew to arrive the next Tuesday Afternoon.

And sure enough, about 3:30 p.m. the next Tuesday, up pulled a BIG Dually, towing a Trailer, and three Latino guys get out; One came to where he could talk to me, and confirm that I was Mr. Allison. When I admitted to THAT, he turned and gave a nod to his compadres, and they went into a coordinated routine of unloading pre-welded Square Tube Frames, and LONG pieces of Formed Sheet Metal.

The lead Chicano, asked where I would like the Structure installed, and with that we kind of surveyed the area, and determined that it would fit right in front of the House.

He got out a Rattle Can of Black Spray Paint, and with a Template, and Tape Measure, sprayed where the Corners would be, and then the most WONDROUS Ballet of activity took place.

These three fellows, had OBVIOUSLY done this routine BEFORE.

It was a highly choreographed succession of events, where they fastened TWO long Square Tube Assemblies to the Concrete, by drilling and pounding Anchors in place, then bolting the Assemblies to the Pavement.

Then the Upright Square Tube Assemblies were installed on the Anchored Assemblies.

Then the Formed Sheet Metal was fastened to the Uprights with Self-Threading Sheet Metal Screws.

This whole performance lasted a little less than an hour, and when they finally started putting their equipment away, THERE was the Car Port in all its GLORY.

The leader of the pack, had me sign a document, gave me a copy, and off they went in the BIG Dually, towing a now empty Trailer.

I still don't know who sprang for the Car Port, but Ms. American no longer has to live under a sheet of Plastic held down by a Canvas Tarp, although if we are scheduled to have a Severe Weather Event, where wind might blow Rain onto the old Gal, the Plastic and Canvas is put over her.

I asked a person who I suspected had done this for Ms. American, and that person denied any involvement. So I have come to attribute this to the homily that goes: "Everything happens when it is supposed to happen." And am glad for Ms. American that she doesn't have to live a life of being covered up all the time.
Quote:
It is a beautiful body style for a 4DR, as it didn't have that period BOX TOP roof, was a true HDTP and of course the POLICE PACKAGE.
Was one time talking to a fellow in the Grocery Store, and he asked: "How are Ms. American, and Lorrie Van Haul doing?" I replied: "It's like being married to a couple of old ladies!" There was an elderly woman who heard this, and not knowing that we were talking about vehicles, said: "Well, I can tell you, it's no picnic being married to an old man either!"

But in actuality, I have likened these two OLD vehicles to Ms. American being Raquel Welch, and Lorrie Van Haul being Rosie O'Donnell!

Anyway, about the Mustang Etc. Manual Choke System. Am going to start a NEW Thread about it, with a bunch of JPGs. And what was gone through to get it installed, and fitted to the 3.14's Autolite 4100 C4AF-9510-DG Carburetor. Should be informative should anyone choose to put one on their ride. Watch for it.

Take care now, you hear?

JC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CARPORT02.JPG (74.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg CARPORT07.JPG (71.8 KB, 25 views)