Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
hazelhoff

Default Size matters !

Following up on earlier threads, i must admit i start to hate the repro parts factories for their sheer lack of responsability.
The 28/29 nickle radiator shell I bought did not fit with respect to hight ! It had to sit much deeper than one would judge according to the mounting holes; well simply make slotted holes, that's what I thought.
Today it appeared that the height is OK now, but at the lower end there is too much material for the shell to go backward to reach the radiator mounting hole.
It simply hits the radiator apron too soon ! I had to cut the lower unner edge by half !

Imagine you have to almost rebuild an item like this shell ! And payed good money for it !

Personally I'd rather pay for more for an excellent product than having to live up to this crap. It came from the best parts trader I know, by the way ...

The radiator was re-cored, but remained original size.

Apart from other quality problems, SIZE MATTERS !

Henk
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
roy green coupe

Default Re: Size matters !

I have been thinking the most important tools i need to work on my model a are my carbide burrs. Seems every part i buy has some issue that requires cutting or finishing. Most recently put on a new water pump, casting was off center and fan wouldnt turn till i ground it down. This was after i clearanced the engine mount for the new one piece crank pully. Then there was the transmission thing. I certainly appreciate how much effort goes into creating these parts, but it is frustrating that the manufacturers just dont seem to have quality control. Just too small a market and no competition.
roy green coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Size matters !

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy green coupe View Post
I have been thinking the most important tools i need to work on my model a are my carbide burrs. Seems every part i buy has some issue that requires cutting or finishing. Most recently put on a new water pump, casting was off center and fan wouldnt turn till i ground it down. This was after i clearanced the engine mount for the new one piece crank pully. Then there was the transmission thing. I certainly appreciate how much effort goes into creating these parts, but it is frustrating that the manufacturers just dont seem to have quality control. Just too small a market and no competition.
I agree 100% with your post...BUT how do we get around this delimmia? Well one way is to look around and get an original part...that always solves the problem. They are out there...just have to do some research.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote