Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
koates

Default MACs are good.

I ordered on line a complete set of inside handles, winders, escutcheons and springs at 11pm on 1st April. Arrived mid morning on 8th April in Australia. Now that's only six full days. Pretty good service I reckon. Thanks MACS, well done. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #2
Snouts out

Default Re: MACs are good.

Yes,I experienced super fast shipping & no back orders from Mac's last month!
Snouts out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #3
Mart

Macs are good.

Particularly if caught out by a light shower.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:59 AM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I had a good Big Mac last week and the service was rather quick.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 AM   #5
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
I ordered on line a complete set of inside handles, winders, escutcheons and springs at 11pm on 1st April. Arrived mid morning on 8th April in Australia. Now that's only six full days. Pretty good service I reckon. Thanks MACS, well done. Regards, Kevin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snouts out View Post
Yes,I experienced super fast shipping & no back orders from Mac's last month!
The best that Mac's or any other vendor can do is fulfill and deliver your order to the shipper on the same day.
From there it's the shipper that gets the order to where it's going.
It's out of the vendors hands and you should be thanking the shipper when you get the product in a timely manner.
And don't immediately blame the vendor when you receive a product late, as many tend to do.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #6
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
I had a good Big Mac last week and the service was rather quick.
Does your Doctor know you eat those things???.....I also have had very good luck with Mac's service....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
FrankWest

Quote:
I hope they don't fall apart
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #8
koates

Frank, now why would they fall apart ?? Do you have explicit knowledge of Vintique door handles as supplied by MACs ? Have you used them before ? They look very good to me . Please explain your comment. Regards, Kevin.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
FrankWest

Quote:
Frank, now why would they fall apart ?? Do you have explicit knowledge of Vintique door handles as supplied by MACs ? Have you used them before ? They look very good to me . Please explain your comment. Regards, Kevin.
Don't be alarmed! Sorry for shocking you. They should be OK. I would buy them too, If I couldn't get anything else. But, Vintique stuff has become increasingly crummy...They were once made in china but now I think they are being made in Indonesia? Pot metal?

First, I would have first tried to get originals, even if i had to purchase one at a time as I found them. If I could not get NOS or even battered old originals I would have gone to Bob Drake he usually has better stuff. The radiator cap I purchased from him is almost indistinguishable from the original. And works great, with original like cardboard washer.
MAC's tried to sell a radiator cap with very thick plastic washer that just does not fit. In fact their cap itself had badly formed notches that just would not lock on my radiator neck!
I could not use it! Then they sold me a vintique radiator hose that cracked after 1 year of very limited use.

Last edited by FrankWest; 04-10-2016 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
koates

You seem to know it all Frank. Ever tried to get a reasonable full set of unbroken matching interior door handles and winders for a 34 ford. And the cost, out of all proportion to the value even if you could find them. I have watched the ebay for several years and not found much to crow about. DRAKE has been out of stock of these forever. I am very pleased with what I bought from MACs, very acceptable in quality and price, that's why I posted my experience. Also I live in Australia which is somewhat removed from your good old USA supply of NOS parts if they are around. My 34 fordor is a South African built car and very original except that at some time the inside handles were all replaced with a set of ford prefect/Anglia English handles which look very nice but not original. Australian built 33-34 fords had a different locally made handle set and are very rare now also. So hence my purchase decision. Of course if you find a NOS complete set of handles for a 34 ford for around $100.00 then feel free to donate them to me. Regards, Kevin.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:37 AM   #11
FrankWest

Quote:
You seem to know it all Frank. Ever tried to get a reasonable full set of unbroken matching interior door handles and winders for a 34 ford. And the cost, out of all proportion to the value even if you could find them. I have watched the ebay for several years and not found much to crow about. DRAKE has been out of stock of these forever. I am very pleased with what I bought from MACs, very acceptable in quality and price, that's why I posted my experience. Also I live in Australia which is somewhat removed from your good old USA supply of NOS parts if they are around. My 34 fordor is a South African built car and very original except that at some time the inside handles were all replaced with a set of ford prefect/Anglia English handles which look very nice but not original. Australian built 33-34 fords had a different locally made handle set and are very rare now also. So hence my purchase decision. Of course if you find a NOS complete set of handles for a 34 ford for around $100.00 then feel free to donate them to me. Regards, Kevin.
Well, I am sorry If I seem like a know it all! And that I rained on your parade.. I didn't intent to make you feel bad.
Didn't want to do that for some ego trip. I just wanted to share my experiences, to help.
When I began working on my car, I usually hurried to buy parts, only to find out later that they were not the right choice. As I matured I learned to take time in looking for parts so that I wouldn't end up with a box of second or third rate parts that I didn't want to put on my car.
Now, I use the MAC's catalogue as an information source then I look for the same part or original.
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Does your Doctor know you eat those things???.....I also have had very good luck with Mac's service....Mark
.... No Mark, I would never tell him about that .... and to be totally truthful....I actually had the Double Mac Cheese Burger, medium Mac Fries, and a Mac Choc Shake (no wonder I'm gaining weight)....and while eating there I was wishing I had my latest MAC's catalog to look through, because after over ten years of swearing I would never buy another single item from them again (after a one on one with Mr McIntosh), I have decided to relent and place an order again just to test the waters of the organization under new management....since most everyone probably deserves a second chance....

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
FrankWest

MAC's is so convenient, the catalogs are great.. I enjoy looking thru them..and It's an education for new antique car owners like myself. I have spent close to 500$ there in the past 2 years. Some of the stuff has worked out. Most of the stuff I bought from them was before I knew better. Even a magnetic oil pan plug would not screw into my oil pan!
The interior firewall tar paper was great and it almost matched perfectly, after I rubbed some ginger spice power into it, the 83 year old firewall which I was patching some cut out areas.
My tail light electrical components work great! Although I have not had my car out in the rain yet.
So
Old 04-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #14
koates

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Well, I am sorry If I seem like a know it all! And that I rained on your parade.. I didn't intent to make you feel bad.
Didn't want to do that for some ego trip. I just wanted to share my experiences, to help.
When I began working on my car, I usually hurried to buy parts, only to find out later that they were not the right choice. As I matured I learned to take time in looking for parts so that I wouldn't end up with a box of second or third rate parts that I didn't want to put on my car.
Now, I use the MAC's catalogue as an information source then I look for the same part or original.
Frank, that's why I bought the nice sets of repro handles. I did not want to end up with a box of used, non matched finish or patina, overpriced, second hand junk. Im happy so that's real good. Over the years I have noticed some real nice Vintique parts and some crap as well. Regards, Kevin.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #15
rotorwrench

The repro parts business is what it is. Some stuff is well made and some stuff is crap. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Dennis Carpenter started out making knobs for early cars so that was a specialty for him. Snyders started with seat springs and so on. Many of the parts available from the big name shops are made by someone else with no control of quality.

It's always a risk to buy repro but many times it's either that or make it yourself and most folks don't have the where with all to do that. The stuff will get you by until you find that special part at the flea market.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:21 AM   #16
FrankWest

Quote:
Frank, that's why I bought the nice sets of repro handles. I did not want to end up with a box of used, non matched finish or patina, overpriced, second hand junk. Im happy so that's real good. Over the years I have noticed some real nice Vintique parts and some crap as well. Regards, Kevin.
That's good. You live in dry region... right .not like the damp Northeast US..where even everything rusts. So, your parts will not be compromised.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #17
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The repro parts business is what it is. Some stuff is well made and some stuff is crap. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. Dennis Carpenter started out making knobs for early cars so that was a specialty for him. Snyders started with seat springs and so on. Many of the parts available from the big name shops are made by someone else with no control of quality.

It's always a risk to buy repro but many times it's either that or make it yourself and most folks don't have the where with all to do that. The stuff will get you by until you find that special part at the flea market.
Well said!....I have had issues with the quality of some Mac's items.... but never an issue with their service...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote