Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
lo c dan

Default Rear Locked Up

Rookie question I don't know the answer to. Had the car in dry storage, (9 months) rolled with ease. Both rear tires are locked up tight. I thought it was the breaks, but the cables pull and I think release. Both tires don't spin, What would cause this problem? Tork tube still in tack, no trans, or engine. Could something be going on with the rear? Thanks for insight to my situation.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Rear Locked Up

did you leave the emergency brakes on? If so good chance the shoes froze to the drums-put car in neautral, brakes released and rock back and forth-take a dead blow plastic hammer and hammer on the backing plates and sometimes even the drums and they should free up--REMEMBER TO RELEASE THE EMERGENCY BRAKES WHEN STORING A CAR
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
David J

Probably your brakes if you have NO MOVEMENT of your rear wheels . Only the rear wheel bearing's locking up tight { both } can cause this besides your brakes . If the pinion or diff bearings lock up your rear wheel's will spin in opposite directions . I have had some success pulling the wheel-backing off the adjuster & tapping on the drum to free this up . Use your head on the tapping thing as drums are cast .
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
ford38v8

You likely set the handbrake at the start of storage. There's really no such thing as dry storage, and your shoes are stuck to the surface rusted drums. No big deal if your driveline was complete, a bit harder with no transmission. Try the 2 lb hammer solution on each drum while the handbrake is slack. One wheel jacked up may be easier to free than both at the same time.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
lo c dan

Cables are loose, not hooked to any levers. Drug it out of the garage thinking they would loosen without dead blow to any mechanics.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
lo c dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Probably your brakes if you have NO MOVEMENT of your rear wheels . Only the rear wheel bearing's locking up tight { both } can cause this besides your brakes . If the pinion or diff bearings lock up your rear wheel's will spin in opposite directions . I have had some success pulling the wheel-backing off the adjuster & tapping on the drum to free this up . Use your head on the tapping thing as drums are cast .
I'll have to give this a try, been waiting for this car for 9 or so months, and the gentleman that bought it from is delivering it had quite a time of getting it on the trailer. I'm trying to field the problem before it arrives (anticipation is a killer).
Old 04-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
jimTN

You do not say what year it is, sometimes hyd cyls freeze in the brake on position if applied after setting due to corrosion.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #8
lo c dan

My mistake, ' 37 Ford Tudor
Old 04-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
jimTN

If it is a 37 with mech brakes, you could have cables stuck or the brake shoes stuck to the drums.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
lo c dan

Thanks for all the responses. That's what I like most about this place experience with out the BS. Respectfully -Dan
Old 04-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
G.M.

Keep spraying the brake cables with rust-buster, soak them good for a few days. They had this problem in the 40 and 50s when they were being used. G.M.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
lo c dan

Will post an update if any ones watching. Just go it off the trailer, ( delivered ) the wheels move about 6-8 inches then freeze up. Tapped the outer hub to try and loosen up the possibility of rust. I'll know more when the rain lets up, been raining for a few days know. I know but I have to start somewhere.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ' 37.jpg (70.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #13
Mike in AZ

good luck.....looks like you do have a good start...nice sedan......Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
ford38v8

Dan, As the wheels do move a few inches, before looking for exotic reasons, look at the head of the torque tube to see if the driveshaft is free to turn. With no transmission, baling wire through the universal for support during transport?
Old 04-23-2012, 03:09 AM   #15
Bassman/NZ

Nice looking 37. The tudor slantback is quite a pretty car.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #16
PeteVS

Years ago, my brother flat towed a '32 home and had the rear lock up once. We assumed it was a bad tooth on the ring or pinion. Years later, when disassembling the trans, there was trash in with the universal. The bits appeared to be from the front driveshaft bearing which must have "grenaded." When they stopped, he rocked the car back and forth and I guess that the fragments got unbound and allowed the trip to continue.